ladolcevita8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey could someone please help with the second bit to the below question (attached as jpeg)

So I've worked out that the mean and standard deviation of the original 30 variables is 6.5 and and 2.11.

But I don't know how to do the second bit. Please advise?

Thanks!
Attached files
Anonymous619
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ladolcevita8)
Hey could someone please help with the second bit to the below question (attached as jpeg)

So I've worked out that the mean and standard deviation of the original 30 variables is 6.5 and and 2.11.

But I don't know how to do the second bit. Please advise?

Thanks!

This is what I think you have to do:

Find the mean of the 20 games - 143/20 = 7.15
Find the SD of the 20 games - √(1071/20)-(7.15/20)² = 7.309...

To find all Mean and SD of all 50 games just add them together:
Mean - 7.15 + 6.5 = 13.65
SD - 7.309 + 2.11 = 9.42 (3sf)
gozzabomb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I remember this question, this is MEI right?

firstly, calculate the new mean by adding sixma x for all the 50 games in total (i.e sigma x that is given for the additional 20 games, and the sum of the scores in the first 30 games), and dividing the total by 50, this will be the mean for the total 50 games.

then, calculate the total sigma x^2 values for the 50 games - do this by adding the given sigma x^2 for the additional 20 games to the sigma x^2 (can be calculated using the calculator), the new sum will be the sigma x^2 value for the 50 games.

Now, youve already calculated the mean, calculate the sd using

sq root of (Sxx/n-1)

ladolcevita8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks a lot for replying guys.

(Yep this is good old MEI )

So I think they wanted us to slip up and the two separate means for set 30 and set 20. This is what I did initially and it was wrong (6.5 + 7.15 = not combined mean). So then I did it the second way, which was to add the sigma of x of both sets ((195 + 143) / 50) which gave me 6.76 (this is correct - yay).

Then I squared all values in the set of 30 values, added together to get 1397. We already know the total for set of 20 values equals 1071. Added these together.

Found the sum of squares -> Formula: Sigma x^2 - n * (Sample Mean)^2
-> 2468 - 50 (6.76)^2 = 183.12. Divided this by 49 to get 3.737. Rooted it to get 1.93 which is the standard deviation.

Thank god for stat calcs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (574)
34.37%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (687)
41.14%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed