Api00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Many say having competition as your motivation to do well is unhealthy. What do you think?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Api00)
Many say having competition as your motivation to do well is unhealthy. What do you think?
I think the best motivation comes from within really.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Api00)
if it motivates you to do well then go for it. Its not my main sorce of motivation but it does kinda help
EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Api00)
I definitely agree that it can be an unhealthy motivator. If you focus so much on beating someone else, then you can do extremely well but still be disappointed because you did not beat that person. The best motivation should be the desire for you to do well, regardless of how other people achieve in that event / subject / opportunity etc. It can definitely be a factor in why some people push themselves to do well, but I don't think that should be your only motivation.

Some people struggle with a subject more, some people have other factors that hinder their performance etc - a competitive mentally tends to not really take that into account. You are more or less setting yourself up for failure because there is always going to be someone better than you. You should definitely try and look for motivators that aren't other people - whether that be a desire to beat them or impress them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (87)
39.01%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.73%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (53)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
12.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed