Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde quotes?

Watch this thread
Takeabite
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anyone know any good quotes to use for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde? I've been looking around and have found none
This is for the (9-1) exams coming up in about a month!
rebecca.jb
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Hi there c: It depends what the question is, but here are some of the ones I'll probably use:

'And that human juggernaut trod the child down' - shows Mr Hyde do be malignant and unrelenting, and the idea of him being machine-like would instil fear into Stevenson's readers as the Victorian's were typically afraid of change and the unknown.
'Mr Hyde was pale and dwarfish' - suggests that Mr Hyde is a creature of the night and does not spend a lot of time in the sun, which shrouds him in mystery. This quote also bewilders the reader as Mr Utterson is supposedly logical and intelligent - why is he afraid of a man like this, who appears to pose no threat?
'Carrying it off like Satan' - plays on the fears of the readers at the time, who were highly religious and would have probably flinched at the mention of Satan. This could also suggest that Mr Hyde's appearance is slightly demonic.
'Ape-like fury' - plays on the idea that Mr Hyde is an example of a sort of backwards evolution of human kind ('troglodytic' as Mr Utterson puts it), or could relate to the duality of human nature. It also implies that Mr Hyde is animalistic and unable to control his emotions - another factor that would frighten the reserved population of Victorian-era London. This quote can further be linked to other parts of the text as Mr Hyde is described as having 'snarled with a savage laugh'.
'Fog rolled over the city' - is pathetic fallacy, creating an atmosphere that is mysterious and frightening, whilst causing the reader to feel trapped in the smog. Furthermore, this quotation is a convention of the gothic genre and is employed to frighten Stevenson's readers.

I hope this helps, and if you need some more for setting just let me know! c:
a.smith1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
any chance you can post some more quotes like that with analysis? I've been told to think of a few quotes for each main theme- secrecy, science and religion, dual nature of man and reputation. anything would be helpful
mkc1357
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
ape-like fury
like a fire in a forest
I sold my brothers soul to the devil
Strong feeling of deformity
before my eyes—pale and shaken, and half fainting, and groping before him with his hands, like a man restored from death—there stood Henry Jekyll!
“unscientific balderdash,"
“If he be Mr. Hyde" he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.”
pure evil
“O my poor old Harry Jekyll, if ever I read Satan's signature upon a face, it is on that of your new friend.”

Hope this helps
yasminshahhx
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I really need quotes that cover majority of themes any chance i could get some help?
yasminshahhx
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Desperatley looking for jekyll and Hyde quotes that cover most themes for my exam on wednesday any chance i could have some advice
Logueybear
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Im in the same position not much help out there any quotes that cover themes would be appreciated
thrivingmakeup
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
‘unscientific balderdash’ dr lanyon- science vs religion
‘he drank gins to mortify a taste for vintages’ utterson- repression and appearance vs reality, could also be duality
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (27)
27.55%
As I expected (29)
29.59%
Harder (35)
35.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
7.14%

Watched Threads