The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shalo1
Heyy thanks for this!
But I'm sure it says in their entry requirements that they don't have a cut off point and use holistic approach when choosing applicants for interview. So by default they can't have a cut off point.
Also I've managed to find their data base through a freedom of information request, of all the applicants that applied and which got interviews/offers and their UKCAT scores (for the 2015/16 cycle) and there were a few applicants that did get interviews/offers with UKCAT scores of below 600.
So I'm slightly confused 😔 because I don't know what to believe. I can't believe they'd so openly state that they have a cut off point and the actual score for it. Surely that means the information they've provided on their website is false and misleading, to which there would be major legalities relating to it. I can't imagine an institute as prestigious as kings would do that, I just assumed if they definitely had a cut of they'd clearly state that in their requirements. Ahhh so stressed! Lol! might call them tomorrow myself to get some clarity on this.

TBH even I was shocked. I was planning on applying because of what it said on the website, until I spoke to a girl who applied last year told me their cut off was 700. So I decided to call them myself and they told me they can’t tell me what their cut off point for this year is as everybody hasn’t applied, but that last year it was 700.
Did you call them? What did they say?
Reply 61
Anyone who is sitting the UCLan exam for dentistry on Wednesday, or anyone who has sat the exam previously, can I ask how you are revising? I have had my dissertation due and have an extremely busy weekend as it is my 21st so I am worried I am not revising enough detail for the exam.

I have gone over my previous university lectures and I am also using the Martini book, however, I am not too sure as to how much detail I need to revise
Reply 62

'm not a Postgrad but I've recently started the Biomedical Science Course with the hopes of applying to study Dentistry when I graduate from Biomedical Science. However, I'm worried that since I initially applied to study Dentistry but got rejected and instead of going straight to Biomedical Science I took a gap year (and did Dentistry related things), this might be held against me since I would be around 22 (and not 21) when applying to do Dentistry. I would be even older than the normal age of a graduate entry for Dentistry. Would this be held against me? I know it's tough to get in but I really want to to Dentistry..

Original post by KAWK
Also, I was wondering what sort of grades that they might accept? Like if how useful is a 1st in Biomedical Science? Is it that much better than a 2:1 or does it not matter that much between a 1st and a 2:1?

Hey KWAK

I did Biomedical Material Science but prior to this I also took an additional year as I had to redo exams. Again I was in the same position as you, applied for Dentistry, got rejected, did another course and now I am happily studying Grad Entry Dentistry at KCL. So I really wouldn't worry about how old you will be when you start the course as the age here at KCL and many other unis with grad entry varies between 21-30+. You'll study with studies from various background and even doctors wanting to qualify as max fax surgeons.
Also, being rejected first time really does not matter, many many people are in the same situation as you and I know someone that applied 3 times and got 3rd time lucky! Anything can happen!

I also found that doing a biomed related degree was probably the most helpful thing in getting me through KCL grad entry dentistry. I have friends studying at UCLAN and they have said the same. So depending on where you do biomed and if they have topics very similar to the unis you will be applying to, then you will be just fine.

A 1st will defo be better than a 2:1 but many people get in with 2:1's so again not to worry!

Hope this helps and puts your mind at ease a little :smile:
Original post by CharliL
Anyone who is sitting the UCLan exam for dentistry on Wednesday, or anyone who has sat the exam previously, can I ask how you are revising? I have had my dissertation due and have an extremely busy weekend as it is my 21st so I am worried I am not revising enough detail for the exam.

I have gone over my previous university lectures and I am also using the Martini book, however, I am not too sure as to how much detail I need to revise

Hi I also did the uclan entrance exam on Wednesday. It was a lot harder than I thought
Have you heard anything back? They said to expect an email Thursday or Friday and I haven’t received one
Hey, I also sat the exam on wednesday and I found it very hard as well! I haven’t heard back yet either. They said by monday definitely right?

Original post by shannon_cole.812
Hi I also did the uclan entrance exam on Wednesday. It was a lot harder than I thought
Have you heard anything back? They said to expect an email Thursday or Friday and I haven’t received one
Original post by nishuchh
Hey, I also sat the exam on wednesday and I found it very hard as well! I haven’t heard back yet either. They said by monday definitely right?

It was a lot more specific than I expected, not sure I passed tbh!

Yeah they said Monday latest so I was expecting it today! They said they were marking them that day maybe they’re just taking longer than they expected too
Reply 66

It was definitely harder than I expected, a lot more specific. I was expecting to know by today but hopefully we will get a reply on Monday
Yeah me too. She said she’ll have them marked and our interview times allocated by lunch time on thursday😭 But then I think it’s because she had to let the admissions team know and then finally they let us know so maybe thats why. Ugh I just wanna know😩

It was a lot more specific than I expected, not sure I passed tbh!

Yeah they said Monday latest so I was expecting it today! They said they were marking them that day maybe they’re just taking longer than they expected too
Original post by nishuchh
Yeah me too. She said she’ll have them marked and our interview times allocated by lunch time on thursday😭 But then I think it’s because she had to let the admissions team know and then finally they let us know so maybe thats why. Ugh I just wanna know😩

Yeah exactly that’s why I was constantly checking my emails today haha!
Yeah I think they’re just a bit behind so it will probably be Monday
Just annoying that we will have to wait over the weekend now 😓
I'm currently on the graduate Dentistry course at UCLAN and my previous degree was in medical genetics. There's also a guy in my year who did a degree in radiology before so I think you'll be fine :-)
Reply 70
Has anyone heard back from UCLan yet??? :frown:
Reply 71
Original post by Shalo1
Has anyone heard back from UCLan yet??? :frown:

I know some people have received emails.... but I haven't got one!
Reply 72
Original post by CharliL
I know some people have received emails.... but I haven't got one!

Nooo wayyyy 😔😔 neither have I. Guess i failed that test! I did find it really hard tbh
Reply 73
Original post by Shalo1
Nooo wayyyy 😔😔 neither have I. Guess i failed that test! I did find it really hard tbh

Me too :frown: I found it hard as well, very specific!
Reply 74
Original post by CharliL
Me too :frown: I found it hard as well, very specific!

Do you know what time they got the email?
Reply 75
Original post by Shalo1
Do you know what time they got the email?

I know one of them got the email at 12 but track hasn’t been updated yet
Reply 76
Original post by CharliL
I know one of them got the email at 12 but track hasn’t been updated yet

Ahh well maybe they're sending out the emails in batches. My second name starts with an S so I'm guessing I'll be further down the register. That's if I didn't actually just fail the exam and not get an offer lol ahh welll! 😭
Reply 77
Original post by Shalo1
Ahh well maybe they're sending out the emails in batches. My second name starts with an S so I'm guessing I'll be further down the register. That's if I didn't actually just fail the exam and not get an offer lol ahh welll! 😭

Mines L so guessing they would have got to that by now! 😭 I’m pretty convinced I just failed to the exam!
Reply 78
I got an email at 12 today, track still not updated but
Reply 79
Original post by hbreslin
I got an email at 12 today, track still not updated but

What letter does your surname begin with?

Latest