The Student Room Group
Reply 1
hey sweetie,

i know what you mean. i panic and just lie awake if something goes wrong. i dont know what to say to this really, but i just want to say you arent alone. I sort of got over it by thinking, oh well it's just happened now and i cant change it, so why go back. i know it doesnt always work but it does sometimes, albeit rarely.

when did you start to feel like such?

xx
I get like that too sometimes :hugs:

Sometimes I'll try to do relaxing things before bed, like have a nice bath to unwind. I find this helps me drift off easier and not go over and over things in my head.
Reply 3
Anonymous
Does anybody else feel like they worry too much about little things?
I stay awake at night fretting over tiny little things, and so when something really worrying happens, I get really stressed and feel ill.

What can I do to relax a bit and not let things get to me as much?

I do, I've developed it during the IB. I go to "sleep", and I sit there thinking, Have i done my EE, NO. I still have my History internal...What about that TOK Presentation....GOD! Not done, must be in on Thursday.

UNless your under pressure, i think its normal to fret over little things. If not...you need to learn how to chill.
When I catch myself sweating the small stuff I ask myself how important will this be in a week/months time? Also by reminding myself that most things work themselves out one way or another regardless of how much fretting I do over them.
I am really similar I guess. I learnt to work through it by writing stuff down if I was really worrying about it. Post-It notes are good for this because it means that you can then just stick it up before you try and drift off to sleep, and lets you think "Oh I'll deal with that when I wake up" - and usually I just screw the post it up and chuck it in the bin when I get up. Another thing that I do when I get in a real panic attack is create lists of things to do (I know it sounds sad) but I'm forever making lists of things that I need to do, and when its all written down, then it doesnt seem like such a big deal
Reply 6
I do that too. You should try and get into bed only when you're proper tired so you're not just waiting to nod off (and then fretting about stuff!)
It's just the way I am, learnt to live with it...
So yeah, you're not alone OP ^^
Reply 8
You're definitely not alone. Loads of peeps think about the little things. When it comes to sleep, the post-it idea that s_qween gave is very good. Keep a pack next to your bed and write the stuff down so you don't feel the need to remember it while you're trying to drift off!

Blatant plug alert...For a few tips on getting to sleep and relaxing, check out these tips.
i do about the bigger questions in life. i did to the point of becoming ill, but you have to train your mind to think less.
Reply 10
Writing stuff down seems like a good idea.
I know the things I worry about are so silly, and when they're sorted, I'm like "what was I so worked up about?"
Thnk you all for your help. It's nice to know I'm not the only one!
Nalced
I do, I've developed it during the IB. I go to "sleep", and I sit there thinking, Have i done my EE, NO. I still have my History internal...What about that TOK Presentation....GOD! Not done, must be in on Thursday.

UNless your under pressure, i think its normal to fret over little things. If not...you need to learn how to chill.

:dito: ;

I find that listening to music (happy stuff) or whatever you like helps. When I worry I always make a list of things to do aswell so that when Im able to do something else I know what Im supposed to do. I suggest that you also talk to a good freind aswell talk through it and let them know how you feel. I find that always helps.
;console;
I worry constantly about everything and anything and will rethink situations in my head over and over but you just gotta think, does it really matter? most of the time there is nothing you can do to change what has happened/situations and it's a waste of time to sit there and worry about them as they are out of your control.
Have a look at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/mental_health/disorders_anxiety.shtml

for background.

In terms of dealing with the worrying, have a look at

http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Booklets/Making+sense/MakingsenseCBT.htm

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques can help break the cycle of worrying. Have a look in your local bookshop to see if you can find any guides on this subject area.

Most importantly, have a chat with a nurse or your GP - especially if it's affecting your sleep.
everyone worries to a certain degree.. some more than others :wink:
I worry too much too -- stuff about my ex and my health, about not working hard enough, about working to the point of burnout. I'm probably one of the only people who's ever become addicted to Nytol.

The way I deal with it is to tell myself that there are things I can control (studying, health, when the dry cleaning gets picked up) and things I can't (my dog's health, the traffic.) Then I spend my time working on the things I can control, and stop worrying about the rest as it's a waste of time and energy.
Reply 16
I think of situations before they have happened, in order so I am prepared when they happen, otherwise I stress about being scared I'll freak out when it does happen and I'm unprepared.