ReputationRep:
    I knew I shouldn't have done German, lol:

I got:

Art: A
    English Literature: A
    History: A
    General Studies: A
    German: C

Perhaps I'm being arrogant, but I honestly thought before the results that I had done better in German than all the others; and it seems so odd because my predictions were As in all the parts of German. The teachers think that it is odd, and that there could be a mistake or something. A few others in my class seemed marked very low; one friend was predicted a B/A and got a D!
    In each of the 3 parts i got:

69/105
    69/90
    58/105!

I really thought I'd done better than ever in German, and I did far better than with my practice and mock exams in which I got As. Anyone else found their German AS (AQA) was harsh? Do you think I should go for a remark? The teachers say they will pay for it because they think it's very odd.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the marking for AQA German was harsh last year as well, and many people expecting A/B grades achieved a D or E They must mark really harshly or something. They moan about people not taking languages but this is the reason i didn't take a language - the results are so harsh, even for some of the best candidates! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i was predicted an A, n i got a D!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    what are you doing about it? what did your teachers say?

ReputationRep:
    lol, in my (OCR) German A2 I got a D and two Us, but in the AS retake which I did at the same time on one module I got an A, ended up with a D overall... In general it was a bit random, really. I mean I got a B overall in my mock German AS And in the actual thing I ended up with a very low C, which just shows it can go any way really.

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky James. What were your other module marks? How'd you do in AS History - you said you found this quite hard if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    well these are the marks i got in the other subjects:

History:
    90/90
    95/105
    95/105
    =280

English Literature:
    105/105
    77/105
    90/90
    =272

Art:

90/90
    90/90
    120/120
    =300

General Studies:

83/100
    100/100
    75/100
    =258

So you see my German result sticks out like a sore thumb really.

ReputationRep:
    well, just to make you sick, i got an A

that does seem quite odd though, since you evidently are clever -- maybe you should ask for a remark

ReputationRep:
    AQA! Damn buggers.

Everyone at my school found Unit 2 - the writing, absolutely awful. They set some '70s question about the Binnenmarkt (I managed 71/90 on it) but Unit 1 and Unit 3 were fine. There's not all that much you can do about a low mark for the Oral though.

To be honest, your marks in German were all quite consistent - a C, B and D, but I have read some of your past posts and you are definitely not stupid. It seems to be your college that's suspiscious - easy marking? My school has always marked harshly and used raw marks for percentages rather than rounded up UMS so people usually do better in formal examinations than in the school mocks.

I got 92/105 for Units 1 and 3 with 255/300 in total. Re-sitting Units 1 and 2 to bring total up to over 270. Predicted an A, would have liked a higher one. Quite a few people slipped to Bs from A predictions in German and I know one girl got a D, but she was predicted about a B/C.

ReputationRep:
    Well done James, especially in Art! I'd say it's worth going for a remark. If not, you can always resit, although I think this is cheating personally.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted an A and got a B,which I can live with lol. However, my UMS marks sucked. Everyone seems to have done quite badly compared to how they expected to do.Must be some clever beans out there!

ReputationRep:
    A new update on my school's real situation, James.

We're one of the best state schools in the UK and only about four people in our class of twenty for German managed an A. My best friend, who's the person that's best at German - having won a scholarship from the German embassy (only 2 scholarships were up for grabs), only managed a 270, but in Edexcel French got 293 (she's about the same level on both languages).

Also, I managed to get higher than her in Unit 1 (this hasn't happened since Year 9) and roughly the same mark in the oral (she gets at least 10% higher in this normally). Basically, I think AQA's done something extremely odd - my school's switching to Edexcel next year. And the vast majority of people predicted high As got Bs (mainly due to Cs in Unit 1 and B/C in the oral).

Not quite your situation, but still. It's something.

ReputationRep:
    simular thing happened at my school. theres only five of us in the group but everyone got atleast one grade lower than predicted. my friend was predicted a high B and came out with an E. its not like the teachers predict too high either.
    i got a low C and was predicted an A/B. im happy enough with it though, especially after how bad i felt when i looked at the exam, its just a bit of a shame as i know imcapable of better!
    but i think there does seem to be something strange going on!

ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ditto with my school,.

ReputationRep:
    Also had problems with my AS German result (Edexcel, not AQA). My results were:

Unit 1 (Listening & writing): 50/90 (D)
    Unit 2 (Reading & writing): 101/120 (A)
    Unit 3 (Oral Presentation): 68/90 (B)

Which rounded up to a B. As you can see, the Unit 1 result seems a bit dodgy... considering that orals are my weakness (my teachers told me that getting an A would hang on my performance in Unit 3) I'm quite surprised & suspicious. Maybe I did actually screw it up really badly unbeknown to myself and need to accept that, but I can't help thinking that there's something going on here... from what I've heard quite a few people at my school got grades lower than predicted this year.

Also, a 'friend of a friend', who is half-German, got a D in Unit 3... (and yes, she did talk about a German-related issue).

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like your result, you can retake. If you don't want to retake, you can decline by 20th Sept (or something) and then you can pretend you never took the subject!

I took edexcel german, came out with an A, but surprised with my speaking exam mark (was a middle-ish A, but I thought I did much better).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juxtapiped)
    I knew I shouldn't have done German, lol:

I got:

Art: A
    English Literature: A
    History: A
    General Studies: A
    German: C

Perhaps I'm being arrogant, but I honestly thought before the results that I had done better in German than all the others; and it seems so odd because my predictions were As in all the parts of German. The teachers think that it is odd, and that there could be a mistake or something. A few others in my class seemed marked very low; one friend was predicted a B/A and got a D!
    In each of the 3 parts i got:

69/105
    69/90
    58/105!

I really thought I'd done better than ever in German, and I did far better than with my practice and mock exams in which I got As. Anyone else found their German AS (AQA) was harsh? Do you think I should go for a remark? The teachers say they will pay for it because they think it's very odd.
    A very full and frank discussion took place last year on German AS/A level. It is one of those language subjects that allow German nationals to take the same exam syllabus as those for whom it is not their first language. Therefore the standards will obviously be higher as there are so many entrants each year for whom the language is their first tongue.
    Is this fair? The consensus last year was resoundingly "NO". Candidates whose native tongue is the language that is being examined as a 'foreign' language should be excluded, as it artificially raises standards.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.