does anyone have notes on tudor england? Watch

marigoldOdd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
please can someone help me with the tudors thanky u (1485-1603)
Cognition!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by marigoldOdd)
please can someone help me with the tudors thanky u (1485-1603)
Could you be more specific about what you're looking for? It's a huge subject.
marigoldOdd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Cognition!)
Could you be more specific about what you're looking for? It's a huge subject.
Im mostly very confused by Henry VII and i struggle with the timeline 1485-1603
XD
Cognition!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by marigoldOdd)
Im mostly very confused by Henry VII and i struggle with the timeline 1485-1603
XD
Henry VII is the least interesting of the lot; I can't really help you much with him, lol.

There were 5 monarchs- Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VII, Mary I, and Elizabeth I. Henry VII was Henry VIII's father (that's easy enough to remember). Henry VIII was the father of Edward VII, Mary I, and Elizabeth I- each one by a different one of his six wives. It's worth memorising the dates of their reigns.

Some of the most important events of the Tudor era include the coronation of each monarch, events in the long-standing conflict with Scotland, and foreign conflict of the time- particularly the invasion of the Spanish Armada.

One of the defining characteristics of Tudor England was the religious beliefs under each monarch. England had been a Catholic country for hundreds of years when Henry VII came to the throne. He kept it that way- he wanted his reign to be one of stability, as he came to the throne immediately after the Wars of the Roses. Henry VIII changed this. The Protestant Reformation had started in Europe, and Henry kept on disagreeing with the Pope and also thought that the church swallowed too much of England's money: so he made England a Protestant country.

Edward VII enforced his father's Protestant beliefs. But his reign lasted only seven years- he died when he was 16. This meant his older sister, Mary Tudor (boys were ahead of girls in line to the throne) became Queen. She wanted England to be Catholic again. She persecuted Protestants (giving her the name Bloody Mary), which made her very unpopular. She died after half a decade on the throne.

Then we have Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen. She allowed both Catholics and Protestants to practice their faiths and pretty much achieved general peace and harmony.

(You can tell I had to write a huge essay about this)

Sorry I can't really help with Henry VII.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (73)
7.82%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.79%