What do I pack in a DOFE first aid kit??

Watch
username3027782
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This weekend I have my DOFE practice and I'm not sure what is needed in a first aid kit following DOFE regulations. Can anybody list down the essential items needed?

Thanks
mdnvmpr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by A*Procrastinator)
This weekend I have my DOFE practice and I'm not sure what is needed in a first aid kit following DOFE regulations. Can anybody list down the essential items needed?

Thanks
On the DofE website the only information is to ensure there are plenty of 'plasters, blister plasters, disposable gloves, as these are what gets used the most' (I don't remember ever using gloves but I Guess other people might), they also suggest sun cream and after sun, but there are no formal regulations. I think any generic first aid kit is fine, as long as it carries the essentials
helloworld3736
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by A*Procrastinator)

Thanks
Hi, is this the individual first aid kit or the group one?
username1915455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Really your DofE centre should be telling you this or even providing a first aid kit to cover the group requirements but anyway here we go. Each person will need a certain amount of stuff but the rest can be carried as a group. Overall for DofE try to reduce what you carry but for first aid kit just bring more (up to a point obviously)

For each person: Blister plasters, painkillers of choice (paracetamol, ibuprofen etc.), personal medications (inhalers, epipen, antihistamine etc.)

For the group (in a waterproof bag!): More plasters, sterile wipes, medical gloves, triangular bandage or two, safety pins, tape, more painkillers, leaflet/written information on first aid, instant ice pack (maybe, wouldn't be required but quite likely to be useful for sprained ankle etc.), bandage and dressings (or the dressings where the pad and bandage are combined, which in my view are better), emergency whistle, survival bag. Look up DofE first aid kit and look for the stuff in there which should be all you need.

If you were going on a more serious expedition you would need stuff life dioralyte and immodium and maybe some burns stuff but I wouldn't worry for Bronze (presumably) DofE

In reality all you are likely to need is painkillers, blister plasters and a mobile phone, if anything really serious happens call an ambulance or if someone has an injury and can't move easily call your leaders to come and help you. Knowing what to do is more important than carrying a load of equipment, for example know how to put someone in the recovery position, CPR (which I highly doubt you will need) and what to do if you need to get help (really you should never move in a group of less than 4 and 1 person should always be with the casualty which is obviously difficult if in a group of less than 6).
On my DofE we had people with quite bad knee injuries and one person who got burnt by a stove but nothing major.
Good luck, hope this help! (don't just use my advice, do some research and ask your leaders also. I am not being held responsible if you do not have the correct kit)
username3027782
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is for Bronze DOFE and I seem to have everything needed, thanks for the help
CharChar2106
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username3027782)

Thanks
idid dofe and I would just add everything.
Umaymah1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i hated DofE. Plasters, bandages, antiseptic wipes, a whistle, just check the website
SpetzGroupaAlpha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jackster45)
Really your DofE centre should be telling you this or even providing a first aid kit to cover the group requirements but anyway here we go. Each person will need a certain amount of stuff but the rest can be carried as a group. Overall for DofE try to reduce what you carry but for first aid kit just bring more (up to a point obviously)

For each person: Blister plasters, painkillers of choice (paracetamol, ibuprofen etc.), personal medications (inhalers, epipen, antihistamine etc.)

For the group (in a waterproof bag!): More plasters, sterile wipes, medical gloves, triangular bandage or two, safety pins, tape, more painkillers, leaflet/written information on first aid, instant ice pack (maybe, wouldn't be required but quite likely to be useful for sprained ankle etc.), bandage and dressings (or the dressings where the pad and bandage are combined, which in my view are better), emergency whistle, survival bag. Look up DofE first aid kit and look for the stuff in there which should be all you need.

If you were going on a more serious expedition you would need stuff life dioralyte and immodium and maybe some burns stuff but I wouldn't worry for Bronze (presumably) DofE

In reality all you are likely to need is painkillers, blister plasters and a mobile phone, if anything really serious happens call an ambulance or if someone has an injury and can't move easily call your leaders to come and help you. Knowing what to do is more important than carrying a load of equipment, for example know how to put someone in the recovery position, CPR (which I highly doubt you will need) and what to do if you need to get help (really you should never move in a group of less than 4 and 1 person should always be with the casualty which is obviously difficult if in a group of less than 6).
On my DofE we had people with quite bad knee injuries and one person who got burnt by a stove but nothing major.
Good luck, hope this help! (don't just use my advice, do some research and ask your leaders also. I am not being held responsible if you do not have the correct kit)
when i did the first aid dofe session all we were shown was the recovery position. (We didn't learn a single thing.)
Last edited by SpetzGroupaAlpha; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (34)
5.53%
Uncertainty around my education (71)
11.54%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (69)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (80)
13.01%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (35)
5.69%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (34)
5.53%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (64)
10.41%
Financial worries (40)
6.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (25)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (37)
6.02%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (17)
2.76%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
9.59%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (50)
8.13%

Watched Threads