Question.... Watch

magdof
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If you speak only english, you think in english. If you speak only spanish, you think in spanish. What if you speak english and spanish?
magdof
Rep:
?
--
ForestShadow
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
for me (english and cantonese) Im more fluent in english so I think in that I also dream in English

it just depends which one youre slightly more fluent in

and if you dont know which one youre more fluent in, just say the first swear word that you can think right now
magdof
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForestShadow)
for me (english and cantonese) Im more fluent in english so I think in that I also dream in English

it just depends which one youre slightly more fluent in

and if you dont know which one youre more fluent in, just say the first swear word that you can think right now
Can you think in cantonese? What age did you learn english and cantonese?
ForestShadow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by magdof)
Can you think in cantonese? What age did you learn english and cantonese?
Yep I can with ease but I dont choose to often. Learnt both around the same time so 4/5 yrs I guess

why the interest, are you bilingual?
magdof
Rep:
?
Yep I can with ease but I dont choose to often. Learnt both around the same time so 4/5 yrs I guess

No, i'm monolingual.

So how many languages can you think in?
K-Man_PhysCheM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you speak only english, you think in english. If you speak only spanish, you think in spanish. What if you speak english and spanish?
I speak both Spanish and English. I think whichever language is most appropriate, eg if I'm in England/English people, I will be thinking in English, but if I'm in Spain/speaking to Spanish people, then I will be thinking in Spanish.
magdof
Rep:
?
(Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
I speak both Spanish and English. I think whichever language is most appropriate, eg if I'm in England/English people, I will be thinking in English, but if I'm in Spain/speaking to Spanish people, then I will be thinking in Spanish.
What age did you learn Spanish and English?
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spalish
K-Man_PhysCheM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What age did you learn Spanish and English?
I learnt them both side-by-side as I was growing up probably from age 0 onwards (as I would've been exposed to both from birth, I suppose). I don't really remember when I learnt to speak them because by my earliest memories I could speak both (though, of course, with a more limited vocabulary than I have now).
magdof
Rep:
?
I learnt them both side-by-side as I was growing up probably from age 0 onwards (as I would've been exposed to both from birth, I suppose). I don't really remember when I learnt to speak them because by my earliest memories I could speak both (though, of course, with a more limited vocabulary than I have now).
What is your preferred thinking language?
K-Man_PhysCheM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is your preferred thinking language?
I live in England, so most of the time its English, though I usually speak Spanish with my parents. However, I do think there's more poetic beauty to Spanish: it's certainly a brighter-sounding language, with lots of open vowel sounds.

Occasionally I think of an idea and I can only describe it in Spanish, not in English! This was very annoying in my English essay-based GCSE exams, where I would think of a really clear and concise way of wording something in Spanish but not remember the word in English!
magdof
Rep:
?
I live in England, so most of the time its English, though I usually speak Spanish with my parents. However, I do think there's more poetic beauty to Spanish: it's certainly a brighter-sounding language, with lots of open vowel sounds.

Occasionally I think of an idea and I can only describe it in Spanish, not in English! This was very annoying in my English essay-based GCSE exams, where I would think of a really clear and concise way of wording something in Spanish but not remember the word in English!
Is your english stronger than your spanish?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Klingon.
K-Man_PhysCheM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is your english stronger than your spanish?
My writing is far better in English, because I have written countless essays in English at school in England.

However, I have read Spanish literary classics like "La sombra del ciprés es alargada" by Miguel Delibes and the collection of prosaic poems "Platero y yo" by Juan Ramón Jiménez, to name a few. I haven't really read any classic English texts (perhaps because I don't like the sound of English as much).

Therefore my understanding of both languages is roughly similar (though I don't know much Spanish slang because I haven't lived in Spain), but my writing is better in English.
magdof
Rep:
?
My writing is far better in English, because I have written countless essays in English at school in England.

However, I have read Spanish literary classics like "La sombra del ciprés es alargada" by Miguel Delibes and the collection of prosaic poems "Platero y yo" by Juan Ramón Jiménez, to name a few. I haven't really read any classic English texts (perhaps because I don't like the sound of English as much).

Therefore my understanding of both languages is roughly similar (though I don't know much Spanish slang because I haven't lived in Spain), but my writing is better in English.
how many languages can you think in altogether?
K-Man_PhysCheM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how many languages can you think in altogether?
I can speak enough French and German to be able to think basic day-to-day ideas in those languages, and I sometimes do think in French or German to practise in those languages.

But generally, I can only think complex ideas (eg thinking through long stories/events in the day, analysing social situations in detail, complex philosophy/metaphysics/existentialist ideas) in two languages: Spanish and English
magdof
Rep:
?
I can speak enough French and German to be able to think basic day-to-day ideas in those languages, and I sometimes do think in French or German to practise in those languages.

But generally, I can only think complex ideas (eg thinking through long stories/events in the day, analysing social situations in detail, complex philosophy/metaphysics/existentialist ideas) in two languages: Spanish and English
So is it fair to say you think in English and Spanish.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
Oh, this thread again.

I speak twelve languages, and think in none of them. That said, I do occasionally find myself having to fight the urge to start speaking to people in Anglo-Saxon.
magdof
Rep:
?

How many languages can you think in? Do you have to force yourself to think in Cantonese?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads