The Student Room Group

I have £34,600 in the stock market, AMA?

The goal is to reach £50,000 portfolio value by the end of the year. Adding around £1200 a month.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Is that all?

I have £100,000 :tongue:
To What Extent Does Executive Pay Influence Company Performance?
Reply 4
Original post by MeYou2Night
Is that all?

I have £100,000 :tongue:

Wow that's impressive, what do you mainly invest in?
Reply 5
Original post by happysmile
To What Extent Does Executive Pay Influence Company Performance?

Depends. If you pay them a lot, they won't care about the company. If you
pay them in shares, they will. So you pay them in shares ideally.
How would one go about stock market trading? Is there any information/how to's that you could enlighten me about?

What site do you use etc
Reply 7
aw did you learn from tim sykes.
Original post by magdof
The goal is to reach £50,000 portfolio value by the end of the year. Adding around £1200 a month.

What do you invest in?
Interested in crypto currencies?
Reply 9
Original post by ded101
aw did you learn from tim sykes.

No, he is a day trader.

I learnt from Warren Buffett, Benjamin Graham and Peter Lynch.
Reply 10
Original post by lionheart27
How would one go about stock market trading? Is there any information/how to's that you could enlighten me about?

What site do you use etc

I use a broker called Hargreaves Lansdown. They have a lot of information and are beginner friendly. However their charges are high if you prefer to invest in funds. If you stock pick, they are cheaper.

You need to open an account with a broker, such as the one I mentioned. Add money to the account and buy/sell when the market is open. European markets open at 8 am GMT. American markets open at 2:30 pm GMT. Asia is overnight, but most people stick to Europe and the US.
Original post by magdof
No, he is a day trader.

I learnt from Warren Buffett, Benjamin Graham and Peter Lynch.

I was being sarcastic.
Hes a f3cking b4astard who scams 13 year olds.
Reply 12
Original post by Formless
What do you invest in?
Interested in crypto currencies?

Equities mainly. Some fixed income, but mainly equities.

Equities for the sole reason they have potential for capital gains and good companies grow their dividend (which in fixed income you won't find). Equities have statistically outperformed all other asset classes on a return basis in the long term.
Original post by magdof
I use a broker called Hargreaves Lansdown. They have a lot of information and are beginner friendly. However their charges are high if you prefer to invest in funds. If you stock pick, they are cheaper.

You need to open an account with a broker, such as the one I mentioned. Add money to the account and buy/sell when the market is open. European markets open at 8 am GMT. American markets open at 2:30 pm GMT. Asia is overnight, but most people stick to Europe and the US.

So underground.
Is there a program that allows me to see the stock market in real time?

Looooooool this reminds me of me 3 years ago
Reply 16

Yes, google finance. This gives real time Level 1 data. If you want Level 2 data you need to pay for it.

Level 1 shows live prices, i.e. the price at which the last trade took place.
Level 2 shows the complete order book, orders on the buy and sell side. So you see
the complete liquidity of a security.
Reply 17
Original post by l'etranger
So underground.

Indeed.
if I have £32000 invested with £500 been added to the investment every month what is the best investement if I want to make a smallish profit but really dont want to take big risks as this is my tuition money?

I have £7000 invested in Reckitbenkiser
then £5000 invested in 4 different portfolios from the same fund thingy you know where you select low risk investment
then I have £3000 invested in a gold ETF multiplier
and £900 sitting in cash.

I think this is sensible because if Things stay stable Reckit does well and the 4 portfolio thingys make a little bit of profit if their is a crash the gold multiplies upwards etc.

Thoughts?
gis a fiver mate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending