Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I know you're all fed up of me asking... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    But should I reapply to Cambridge or go to York?

I got 5 As... (4 A2 and 1 AS)

ReputationRep:
    The former (or at least that's what I would do).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)

Iknow what you're going through!
    Shall i do the same?
    Same position as you..lol

ReputationRep:
    It depends on if you would apply to the same college again, where you initially went wrong and if you can improve it. My friend was rejected from oxford, he re-applied to the same college the next year with 4A's and was rejected and he will be going to Nottingham.

ReputationRep:

what do you want to study?

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can get into Cambridge, then definitely apply for it! I know a year is long to wait but think about it, where would you like to spend 3 or 4 years of your life studying: Cambridge or York?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    If you think you can get into Cambridge, then definitely apply for it! I know a year is long to wait but think about it, where would you like to spend 3 or 4 years of your life studying: Cambridge or York?
    York is still awesome. And there is still a chance that next year she may be rejected from both Cam and say York.
    But what do you want to study?

ReputationRep:

Think you'll be happy at york? If deep down you don't want to go to york, and cambridge is what you want, go for cambridge again. You won't forgive yourself later on otherwise.

I think it's worth another try, as long as the gap year is worthwhile!

ReputationRep:
    To those asked, I'm going to be studying philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Think you'll be happy at york? If deep down you don't want to go to york, and cambridge is what you want, go for cambridge again. You won't forgive yourself later on otherwise.

I think it's worth another try, as long as the gap year is worthwhile!
    she can still do her masters or something at Cam

Rushda...what do you want to do ?

ReputationRep:
    the thing is you can apply to 6 choices again and get unconditionals with your grades so you can pick the best.....but think what you will do with your gap year, dont just work, do something worthwhile like travelling etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    she can still do her masters or something at Cam

Rushda...what do you want to do ?
    I think she wants to do philosophy. Yup, she can do an Mphil or Dphil at Cam, but she may not want to do a masters or she may not want to go to york.

ReputationRep:
    to give my opinion,

grades are not the be all and end all of everything.

you got rejected from cam. having 5 A's now does not mean that they are going to suddernly accept you.

i think you'd be quite silly, almost stupid to throw away a good opertunity to go to uni, to waste a year...and probably be rejected from both Cam and York next year.

but if your not going to be Happy in York, i suggest you pull out, regardless of what your going to do next. there is no point going to a uni you wont be happy in, because that will be an even bigger waste of your time and money.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge dont like people waiting a year and reapplying... they probably wouldnt let you in, and youd have to interview, what if you **** that up? a year of your life gone...

ReputationRep:
    Adhsur and zazy, I'm in exactly the same position as you. I've got AAAAAa and am considering applying to Cam, but I could go to Edinburgh this year. Were your As high or low? This might make a difference to your chances of acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    Cambridge dont like people waiting a year and reapplying...
    I really don't think this is true, applying post-A-level is a perfectly normal thing to do. Until not so long ago most Oxbridge applicant were had to apply post-A-level!

ReputationRep:
    Because you started this thread to me that shows that you don't really want to go to York, so imo you shouldn't do something that you're not happy with...

Someone once told me that advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer but don't like it.

If I was you I'd take a year out, go and travel, work and experience the world. But that's just me and I want to take a year out anyway. People on an internet forum can't make a big decision like this for you, it's something you have to decide for yourself, but if you know you won't be happy at York and you really want to try for Cambridge again then you know what choice you have to make.

btw congrats on your results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    Cambridge dont like people waiting a year and reapplying... they probably wouldnt let you in, and youd have to interview, what if you **** that up? a year of your life gone...
    You can't live your life with what ifs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    Cambridge dont like people waiting a year and reapplying... they probably wouldnt let you in
    Nonsense. A friend of mine, who's just got a high 2i/1 in second year physics, was rejected from Clare first time around but reapplied to Sidney and got in. It happens.

Having said this, it's important to bear in mind that the chances of getting in are still not much (or possibly any) higher than they were last time, meaning there's a high probability that you'll go through all the trauma again and not get in. Some important questions you'd need to ask yourself (I think):

1. Have you got something really constructive you can do with your gap year?
    2. I know you were madly in love with Clare - but reapplying to the same college is extremely inadvisable, so would you be able to find another college you'd be happy at?
    3. Would you be happy at York?
    4. Would you really like to go through all that stress again?
    5. Does the Cambridge Philosophy course offer more to you than any other philosophy course you know of?

If the answer to 3 is no then take a gap year anyway, wherever you apply at the end of it. No point in going somewhere you'll be unhappy. If the answers to 1, 2, 4 and 5 are all yes then sure, consider reapplying because in that case it sounds like you really want to do it. But if the answer to any of them is no, don't do it - and if you'll be happy at York it seems far more sensible to stick with York. It's a brilliant university and your job/further degree prospects will probably be just as good there.

Best of luck whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for Cambridge for Philosophy - from what I've read about the course is just mindblowingly cool. After talking to a few tutors there for the subject I cannot even begin to deny that. York however is very good I've heard for Philosophy. It just depends on where your heart lies - There will be other colleges that you love just as much.. it won't be a waste of a year either, you can do something totally constructive and fabulous with it - don't miss out on an opportunity is all I'd say, if you're not 100% on York, don't go.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.