Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Oh God :confused:
    So what is it that you would do with your gap year? And the reasons you were rejected - are they easy to improve on?

ReputationRep:
    You could always consider applying to Oxford. I've heard it rumoured that if one (Cam or Ox-I'm assuming it was Cam) rejects you the first time round, and you are considering reapplying, then you should reapply to the other.

to me, there is a huge difference between cambridge/ox and other universities such as warwick, manchester etc

reapply and go to cambridge, nothing whatosever can touch oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    7 A*s and 2 As for GCSE.

And I got pooled with very positive feedback after my interview last time.

Plus it was a popular college, plus I know what I did wrong. Plus I have better A level grades.

But York... *sigh* I'll be stuck at home while everyone is enjoying themselves.
    Stuck at home if you take a gap year? Then don't do a gap year If you just stay at home it will hinder your application to Cambridge. If you can get a job for most of the year - which would set you up for university quite nicely - and do something really productive and interesting - just travelling can look good if you've organised it yourself and it would be great fun - it would probably help you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Stuck at home if you take a gap year? Then don't do a gap year If you just stay at home it will hinder your application to Cambridge. If you can get a job for most of the year - which would set you up for university quite nicely - and do something really productive and interesting - just travelling can look good if you've organised it yourself and it would be great fun - it would probably help you...
    Well, I doubt I'd be able to travel. Yes I could get a job or something.

I've already emailed Cambridge and they say they don't care what I do.

adhsur, listen to the guy who owned you in msn minesweepers, re apply for cambridge

ReputationRep:

It sounds to me as if you'd be taking a gap year entirely to re-apply. Any job you get will probably be fairly mundane and all your friends will have gone off to university without you. Yes, if you get in, it'll all have been worth it, but what if you don't? You'll have nine months, still working in that same job, when you could have been at York, and this time next year you might be in the same position you are now. Yes, Cambridge is a fantastic institution, but I don't understand why it's worth risking so much for.

ReputationRep:
    You could do a Year in Industry, obviously it wouldn't be Philosophy related but it would look good on your CV and give you work experience of a higher calibre than a normal job. It will pay better too :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    It sounds to me as if you'd be taking a gap year entirely to re-apply. Any job you get will probably be fairly mundane and all your friends will have gone off to university without you. Yes, if you get in, it'll all have been worth it, but what if you don't? You'll have nine months, still working in that same job, when you could have been at York, and this time next year you might be in the same position you are now. Yes, Cambridge is a fantastic institution, but I don't understand why it's worth risking so much for.
    Risking so much? A year? Come on! A year is no time! Plus you could end up doing something really cool! Being the old fartt hat I am, I have two friends who are admissions tutors. One in London and one further down south. Both agree that gap years, if spent wisely can make an application.

What's a year when you could spend the rest of your life regreting having not tried?

Plus with those grades you would probably easily get your York offer again next year.

If going to uni now regardless is what's important to you, then go to York. If you're playing the more mature long game then gap and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Risking so much? A year? Come on! A year is no time! Plus you could end up doing something really cool! Being the old fartt hat I am, I have two friends who are admissions tutors. One in London and one further down south. Both agree that gap years, if spent wisely can make an application.

What's a year when you could spend the rest of your life regreting having not tried?

Plus with those grades you would probably easily get your York offer again next year.

If going to uni now regardless is what's important to you, then go to York. If you're playing the more mature long game then gap and reapply.
    You could do something really cool...I would love to take a gap year. But it's just she said she could "work or something"! It doesn't sound like she's that into the idea! There's no point in waiting around for a year just filling time, because if it turns out you are rejected again, you really will have wasted a year of your life.

ReputationRep:
    You could do something really cool...I would love to take a gap year. But it's just she said she could "work or something"! It doesn't sound like she's that into the idea! There's no point in waiting around for a year just filling time, because if it turns out you are rejected again, you really will have wasted a year of your life.
    Bloody hell! She only got her results yesterday! She's mulling over her options! She's probably also had the whole family celebration thang in between. Give the girl a chance!

ReputationRep:
    Rushda,

take a look at this:

http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/sho...36&postcount=4

Admittedly med based, but gives one admissions tutors thoughts on gap years.

For a gap year, you could get a paid job and save for uni. While working you could get involved in the Millennium Volunteers. As a gov run initative, unis love it - and it's more 'now' than DoE, allowing you to put something back into your community.

http://www.millenniumvolunteers.gov.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I would say go to York. Once you get there and start the course you will feel a lot better. I was in the same situation as you, I decided to go to Durham, and I really enjoy it. I am considering applying to Cambridge to do a Phd, but I still have a further 3 years of my MPhys degree to go .
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

I agree, you sound hesitant (and have done ever since you didn't get in to Cam this time, to be honest) to go to York.
    Think of all the extra background reading you could do in that year, it would give you a massive headstart.
    I would, however, apply to a different college if you have had a very neutral reply back from Clare. A determination to read Philosophy at Cam because it is the best course will count for far more than wanting to read Philosophy because you want to go to Clare.
    There are probably other Cam people better in the know that I am, but I would suggest that you take a week out and stop agonising, come back to it in the middle of next week. By that time your brain and your heart will have made the decision for you. If need be, go up to York and have another look around before you burn your bridges.
    The decision has to be up to you, but if you are the sort of person who has a good memory, then it sounds as though you will always regret not giving it another go!

ReputationRep:
    But should I reapply to Cambridge or go to York?

I got 5 As... (4 A2 and 1 AS)
    Did you get pooled? If so, then think about it carefully. If you didn't even get pooled maybe you're just not good enough. Remember Cam get 1000s of excellent candidates who all have straight A predictions and can continue to amaze at interview.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell! She only got her results yesterday! She's mulling over her options! She's probably also had the whole family celebration thang in between. Give the girl a chance!
    Alright, calm down! I'm just not sure she really seems that into the idea, and while it could work out fine, what if she ends up in the same situation as this? I can't help feeling that she will think she wasted a year. On the other hand, at least she'll know she tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enlargedscrotum)
    Did you get pooled? If so, then think about it carefully. If you didn't even get pooled maybe you're just not good enough. Remember Cam get 1000s of excellent candidates who all have straight A predictions and can continue to amaze at interview.
    Yes I got pooled.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, calm down! I'm just not sure she really seems that into the idea, and while it could work out fine, what if she ends up in the same situation as this? I can't help feeling that she will think she wasted a year. On the other hand, at least she'll know she tried.
    Yeah I don't know if always thinking of what could have been is that much better than trying it, even if I get rejected in the end.

I keep thinking that if I go to York all my A level A grades will be "wasted"...I know I shouldn't think like that though.

ReputationRep:
    Reapply - with loads of As you'll get into a good university for 2005, you'll have a very good chance of getting into Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    What about top up fees??? (Sorry to be boring, but it's a consideration)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.