Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I know you're all fed up of me asking... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who applys to Oxbridge has excellent grades and you risk a second rejection. Yes you might get in, but is it worth waiting a whole year when you have a decent university offer already?
    York is a good option, especially for an undergrad degree and has a very good philosophy department and course. Remember that you are not the only good candidate who was rejected by Cambridge, this happens to many people every year.

ReputationRep:
    good luck and i really hopes it works out for you but there are other universities and oxbridge isn't the be all and end all of life. I was so gutted when I was rejected from oxford but now i realised it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. They rejected me for a reason and seeing how much preassure people are under makes me relasie that i wouldn't have coped. I felt enough preassure from my year group at Bristol and I can't even imagine how small and insignificant i would have felt at Oxford. One of the reasons i did well at school was that i knew i was one of the best there and it really dented my confidence to find myself amongst thousands of people with straight A's. I soon learnt that preformance at a-levels is not necessarily reflected at degree level. One of my best mates at uni got 6 A's and now she is underperforming compared with the rest of the year.

I'm glad that you'r reapplying if you would regret it if you didn't and I hope you are happy next year whichever uni you go to.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck whatever you choose.
    Cambridge advises you not to re-apply if rejected but if you do then it is a very good idea to apply to a different college.
    They don't say so but I guess the reasoning is that you are in effect telling people who pride themselves on their intelligence that they've got it wrong - and that isn't successful too often.
    York is a good uni - no clearing vacs now - it hinges on how much you want to go there I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    A university willing to reject someone with those grades based on a single previous rejection........maybe I'm cynical but I'm certain a potentially guaranteed 30 on the entrance stats means more to them than they would like to admit.
    Uni's don't like rejection, trust me... If you turn down a firm offer from York they won't like it if you reapply again next year (it means they have to open up for clearing and possibly take an underqualified student). This happened to a friend who applied to Nottingham as an insurance for cambridge, he missed the cambridge offer and got into nottingham. He decided to reapply the next year, nottingham rejected him as well as cambridge, bugger!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Uni's don't like rejection, trust me... If you turn down a firm offer from York they won't like it if you reapply again next year (it means they have to open up for clearing and possibly take an underqualified student). This happened to a friend who applied to Nottingham as an insurance for cambridge, he missed the cambridge offer and got into nottingham. He decided to reapply the next year, nottingham rejected him as well as cambridge, bugger!
    Which University is he at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwarwick)
    Which University is he at?
    York actually!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    York actually!
    Sort of ironic really.

Good luck Rushda. I hope you get in, but make sure you realise that you might still not get in, and if that happens, don't let it get you down. And if you get in, that's brilliant. Have you talked to York about your situation, and seen if they could hold your place for next year just in case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Sort of ironic really.

Good luck Rushda. I hope you get in, but make sure you realise that you might still not get in, and if that happens, don't let it get you down. And if you get in, that's brilliant. Have you talked to York about your situation, and seen if they could hold your place for next year just in case?
    I've actually contacted both York and Cambridge now.

York said they don't hold grudges like that and Clare college Cambridge sounded very encouraging which hints at the fact that they do want me to reapply.

As for not getting in next time, of course that is very likely. I have to bear in mind that I'm not just taking a gap for Cambridge as there are lots of things I want to do this year. If I get in, great. If I don't, I'll go to another good uni. The main thing is, I won't feel like I've missed the opportunity of another chance. If I went to York, I'd feel like I've wasted a lifetime opportunity whereas if I take a gap now and don't get in, the max I would have wasted if at all is a year.

I have thought about this carefully. Different people want different things, and I feel that I owe it to myself to try again.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.