Importance of the opening line in a personal statement

Watch
AnaRomanov
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically, I'm conflicted. I went to a weekend seminar-thingy at Nottingham University about a year ago, there was a lecture on how to write the perfect personal statement given by one of the admissions officers in which they said that the perfect opening line is essentially, "I want to study x because y". It gets right to the point and with the amount of artsy-fartsy opening lines that admissions officers have to read through, they'll appreciate the directness.

However, every single person I've spoken to since then says that the opening line is incredibly important and that it needs to be creative and painstakingly put together so that it is perfect.

Can anybody weigh in as to how they feel regarding the importance of this?
bex.anne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is the most important bit really, its good to make it link to the end paragraph too. But i guess it depends what subject youre applying for aswell
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The opening line isn't really important. In general the personal statement itself isn't very important, as long as you sound at least vaguely interested in the course you're applying for. It's slightly different for things like Medicine and Dentistry but again, it's the content that counts, rather than how eloquently you can write.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It matters a very similar amount to the rest of the statement. Don't try to be clever, just write about why you want to do the course. Forecast is broadly correct that personal statements are often not hugely important, but they can and do push applications over the line in both directions. Be sincere and talk about the subject, that is all someone reading it will care about. 99.9% of applicants are completely incapable of saying anything original worth reading, so it would be silly for that to be a requirement.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnaRomanov)
Basically, I'm conflicted. I went to a weekend seminar-thingy at Nottingham University about a year ago, there was a lecture on how to write the perfect personal statement given by one of the admissions officers in which they said that the perfect opening line is essentially, "I want to study x because y". It gets right to the point and with the amount of artsy-fartsy opening lines that admissions officers have to read through, they'll appreciate the directness.

However, every single person I've spoken to since then says that the opening line is incredibly important and that it needs to be creative and painstakingly put together so that it is perfect.

Can anybody weigh in as to how they feel regarding the importance of this?
Hmmm. Who to believe? Someone who has the job of judging personal statements or a bunch of random people who don't have that job....?

It's a tricky one but I would say that the admissions staff probably know more about what is best in a PS than anyone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads