maths1409
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm doing IGCSE first lang english and I have no idea how to revise and my exam is in 17 days. I tried doing papers but the thing is I'd ideally want to revise the key writing techniques before I do the papers. Its the first question that is directed writing that really trips me up. I've tried looking online for websites that list the key features of each style of writing e.g.: newspaper article, letter, speech, diary entry, and so on but i can't find anything!! I'm really worried so if anyone could provide any help that'd be great.
safa_k
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by maths1409)
I'm doing IGCSE first lang english and I have no idea how to revise and my exam is in 17 days. I tried doing papers but the thing is I'd ideally want to revise the key writing techniques before I do the papers. Its the first question that is directed writing that really trips me up. I've tried looking online for websites that list the key features of each style of writing e.g.: newspaper article, letter, speech, diary entry, and so on but i can't find anything!! I'm really worried so if anyone could provide any help that'd be great.
Personally, I just do past papers under timed conditions- I've actually found it easier to do the last question first, leaving out the summary, then doing the second q and then the first and then going back to the summary. Anyway, if you're really stuck watching youtube videos work too. It is quite a hard exam but literally practising is key and understanding the mark scheme as well.
for the first question- make a table with part 1,2 and 3. you need at least 5 points for each but I usually do a lot more just in case. and after every point DEVELOP, but without repeating yourself. also you need to include some sort of character/voice (don't know how to explain it lol) and this depends on the type of writing they ask- to familiarise with the different ones I believe cie has an English language syllabus which is rather helpful.
for the second q- first write meaning and then get into the effect. trying to picture the words also works! but I hate this q. you do not necessarily need language techniques but they do sometimes reward it. when u start analysing be really obvious and then get into the detail.
for the last q- they tend to repeat points to trip u up so beware and also try not to include more than one point on each line. and finally, for the summary try grouping the points so it is more fluent and use your own words! also be concise, but not too concise that u sound mechanical so use linking words.
other than that good luck! I'm so scared for it though haha
maths1409
Rep:
?
(Original post by safa_k)
Personally, I just do past papers under timed conditions- I've actually found it easier to do the last question first, leaving out the summary, then doing the second q and then the first and then going back to the summary. Anyway, if you're really stuck watching youtube videos work too. It is quite a hard exam but literally practising is key and understanding the mark scheme as well.
for the first question- make a table with part 1,2 and 3. you need at least 5 points for each but I usually do a lot more just in case. and after every point DEVELOP, but without repeating yourself. also you need to include some sort of character/voice (don't know how to explain it lol) and this depends on the type of writing they ask- to familiarise with the different ones I believe cie has an English language syllabus which is rather helpful.
for the second q- first write meaning and then get into the effect. trying to picture the words also works! but I hate this q. you do not necessarily need language techniques but they do sometimes reward it. when u start analysing be really obvious and then get into the detail.
for the last q- they tend to repeat points to trip u up so beware and also try not to include more than one point on each line. and finally, for the summary try grouping the points so it is more fluent and use your own words! also be concise, but not too concise that u sound mechanical so use linking words.
other than that good luck! I'm so scared for it though haha
aah okay thankyouu I'll try that (doing the last question first) because the other day I started doing a paper I could barely find enough points for each bullet point and the extract made no sense so I just gave up. I think I find it hard to spot the specific things they want us to spot
safa_k
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by maths1409)
aah okay thankyouu I'll try that (doing the last question first) because the other day I started doing a paper I could barely find enough points for each bullet point and the extract made no sense so I just gave up. I think I find it hard to spot the specific things they want us to spot
the extracts can be so annoying!! which one was it?
maths1409
Rep:
?
(Original post by safa_k)
the extracts can be so annoying!! which one was it?
the healer from the nov 2016 paper
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed