username2207531
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
There's a question on my homework about qualitative testing with transition metals. Here is the one that confuses me:

When ammonia is added dropwise to B, a pale pink precipitate forms, which does not redissolve in excess ammonia.

So obviously the ion in Mn2+, but I can't figure out how that would work!
Pale pink compounds are MnO, MnCl2 and MnCO3, so how would one be made with ammonia?
The only Mn2+ precipitation reactions we were taught about are ligand substitutions, and they all make a dark brown precipitate.
I need to write ionic equations for the reaction.

Thanks!
111davey1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JustJusty)
There's a question on my homework about qualitative testing with transition metals. Here is the one that confuses me:

When ammonia is added dropwise to B, a pale pink precipitate forms, which does not redissolve in excess ammonia.

So obviously the ion in Mn2+, but I can't figure out how that would work!
Pale pink compounds are MnO, MnCl2 and MnCO3, so how would one be made with ammonia?
The only Mn2+ precipitation reactions we were taught about are ligand substitutions, and they all make a dark brown precipitate.
I need to write ionic equations for the reaction.

Thanks!
Just the same reaction as if you add say NaOH so Mn2+ + 2OH- --> Mn(OH)2 Dont take my word for it though
username2207531
Rep:
?
(Original post by 111davey1)
Just the same reaction as if you add say NaOH so Mn2+ + 2OH- --> Mn(OH)2
That was my initial thought, but it says everywhere that Mn(OH)2 is pure white. Or is that just because it's very pale?
111davey1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JustJusty)
That was my initial thought, but it says everywhere that Mn(OH)2 is pure white. Or is that just because it's very pale?
If you add ammonia dropwise the reaction above should happen so Mn(OH)2 would form which would have to be pale pink. If you add excess of ammonia a substitution reaction would occur producing a brown precipitate.
username2207531
Rep:
?
(Original post by 111davey1)
If you add ammonia dropwise the reaction above should happen so Mn(OH)2 would form which would have to be pale pink. If you add excess of ammonia a substitution reaction would occur producing a brown precipitate.
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.88%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
17.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
9.76%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
9.76%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (16)
39.02%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
19.51%

Watched Threads