Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Desperate for advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today i got my AS results and they were very disappointing, I have had a bad year and also have been ill. I got the following grades,

Maths: C
    Biology: D
    History: C
    Chemistry: U
    General studies: B

I also studied physics for 3/4 of the year but did not sit the exam as was not able to cope with the pressure.

I have decided to repeat the AS year at a different school and study the following:

Chemistry (decline my previous grade and start again)
    Physics (start from scratch)
    Maths (repeat some modules)
    Biology (repeat some modules)

I am hoping by the end of next year to have improved my Maths and Bio to As and got As in Chemistry and physics. Therefore I will have AAAA + C in history + B in GS. I will then decide what subjects to study to A2.

I am repeating the AS year because I obviously need Chemistry to A2, what I would really like to find out is how much it will affect my chances of getting into medicine being 1 year behind and also having taken 3 years to complete a 2 year course.

Also would it be possible to turn the maths and biology AS's that i started this year, improved on next year, into A2 qualifications in the following year (3rd year)?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I don't really have any advice but I just wanted to say sorry you didn't get what you hoped for. But do be proud of yourself for what you have achieved. I was also ill in my AS year which i know all too well makes it tougher than it already is. I know its not much consolation but you've done better than a lot of other people would in a good year. Maybe you took on too much? 6 is a hell of a lot!

I dont know much about medicine, but I wouldn't have thought it would affect your chances too much. Where do you want to apply? You're obviously committed and it's through no fault of your own that you didnt get the grades you wanted. You'll just have to do the best you can and see what happens. With grades like that (even if you didnt get AAAA next year), you're bound to get a uni place! So i really wouldnt worry about being a year behind.

good luck, and chin up xxx

ReputationRep:
    my advice would be not to give up at all! if u want to resit ur exams, then do so but be sure it wont affect ur entry into university for medicine (if u will be applying for it). For someone who's been ill, ur results are good! dont be down. stand up and fight for ur aim! i'm from abroad, so i dunno if the fact that u'll sit ur AS again will make u a re-sit candidate but i've read that some uni do not accept re-sit candidates for medicine. if you'll be qualified as a re-sit one (if u do ur AS again), be sure to apply to univs which accept applications from re-sit candidates, and consider them on the same level as 1st timers. also, explore alternative pathways into medicine, e.g. graduate entry or even better, the univ of bradford offers a course in clinical sciences, where u can get into the leeds medical school after the 1st or 2nd year.
    hey, i hope i've been of some help!! again, dont give up! i've seen pupils with worse results than yours perform astonishingly well at A2!
    Farhad

ReputationRep:
    They're 'only' AS grades - use them as a kick up the arse!

Farhad1985 - GEP medicine is way more competative than school leaver style medicine. 30 applicants per place for GEPs versus 6 per place for 5 year course as a school leaver...

I would probably avoid Bradford too - unless you want a degree in clinical sciences from Bradford Uni. The only people who tend to apply for it are those keen on the transfer thing. VERY competative to actually transfer and your fecked then if the only reason you applied was to try to get back door entry to Leeds. You have to ace the foundation year and the first year to be considered - and then it's done on your rank in the year.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your reply, you make a good point would I be considered a re-sit canditate? anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-k)
    thanks for your reply, you make a good point would I be considered a re-sit canditate? anyone?

Nope - you are only a resit candidate if you resit A2s.

ReputationRep:
    thanks fluffy ...doyou also know the answer to

Also would it be possible to turn the maths and biology AS's that i started this year, improved on next year, into A2 qualifications in the following year (3rd year)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-k)

That I'm not sure about - I did 'old style' a levels. Try PMing Pencil Queen - she's very hot on this sort of thing.

fx

ReputationRep:
    Hey fluffy, thnx for making things clearer on my suggestions! i was just trying to give s-k alternative ideas. but i didn't know it was that competitive! nice to have someone who got the stats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhad1985)
    Hey fluffy, thnx for making things clearer on my suggestions! i was just trying to give s-k alternative ideas. but i didn't know it was that competitive! nice to have someone who got the stats!
    To give you a handle on things, GKT (Kings) GEP had 1,220 applicants for 23 places! That's about the average too! All with a 2i or above and most with Work experience!!!

ReputationRep:
    wow never knew it was so competitive, I ve learnt from my mistakes tho re-doing a whole year doesn't seem as bad as it first did. I guess I ve come to terms with it now just have to work solidly for the next 2 years and hopefully get a Uni offer for medicine. PMed Pencil Queen too . Thanks for all your help Farhad and Fluffy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-k)
    wow never knew it was so competitive, I ve learnt from my mistakes tho re-doing a whole year doesn't seem as bad as it first did. I guess I ve come to terms with it now just have to work solidly for the next 2 years and hopefully get a Uni offer for medicine. PMed Pencil Queen too . Thanks for all your help Farhad and Fluffy
    Ur most welcome!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-k)

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to do that. It would be the same any other AS retake AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    Just to make things more clear what i mean is:

Year One: got AS grade B in maths
    Year Two: re took a module in AS maths and improved AS grade to A
    Year Three: can i now turn that AS A grade in maths to an A2 qualification in this year (or does it have to be within 2years?)

ReputationRep:
    seems no one knew the answer to the above question, including Pencil Queen so I have emailed AQA exam board hope to hear from them shortly.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.