The Student Room Group

2017 Latin gcse

Ok so I regret everything, I chose to do a gcse in year 9 instead of an enrichment course and of course I chose Latin. Well right now I'm freaking tf out becuase my language exams are on May 25 and I don't feel prepared at all. I suck at revising and I'm the second lowest in my class (mind you there's only 9 people doing it) the last mock I did I got a c+ and I need to get higher. If anyone has good revision tips or a way to summarise the whole course I would really appreciate if you shared!
Original post by Maisy.__.b
Ok so I regret everything, I chose to do a gcse in year 9 instead of an enrichment course and of course I chose Latin. Well right now I'm freaking tf out becuase my language exams are on May 25 and I don't feel prepared at all. I suck at revising and I'm the second lowest in my class (mind you there's only 9 people doing it) the last mock I did I got a c+ and I need to get higher. If anyone has good revision tips or a way to summarise the whole course I would really appreciate if you shared!

Hey - what exam board are you doing Latin with? Mine's OCR. I had the same problem as you up until a few weeks ago, I'm feeling a bit more prepared now because of actually getting down to doing some language past papers and annotating the set poems I'll need (I'm doing the verse literature unit) with key ideas and themes. I found that going over key vocab regularly helped things stick in my head when I was reading, and also while the word order in Latin sentences is sometimes all over the place, figuring out first what most of the words mean and trying to find the subject, object and verb often allowed me to make a logic-based guess on what the sentence was talking about. If your paper contains elements of Roman stories/myths etc. then it's REALLY helpful to know some main ones so that even if you only know a couple of words in each sentence you'll be able to figure out the gist of what it's telling you. I don't have a clue if you're doing the same exam board as me, so the advice is a little general and may be a little off-point, but I hope some of it helps you. And I wish you good luck for your exams - mine are on the 19th and the 25th :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending