Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

crap results crap university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My sister did work very hard for her 4.5 grade A's but she also went to a grammar school. However she still had to work extremely hard to get those grades. She did decide against the top universities as she felt they were too elitist so she is now going to Manchester as its a nice balance.

Going to a good university and having good A levels will help you, its foolish to think otherwise however I think the point people are trying to make is it dosn't make you a better person and it dosn't automaticaly give you the right to a good job as some people seem to think. A lot of people who have gone to bototm 50 universities have end up with good jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeFunkyChic)
    I think those from working class backgrounds who have comprehensive education, succeed onto A Levels and go to university and get a degree are the hardest working.
    ?

What are you on about now? How does class relate to how academically motivated someone is? As for comprehensive education, pretty much 90% of all students are at comps, surely attending one can't distinguish an individual's achievement that much?

That is a truly bizaare and impressively overgeneralised statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    ?

What are you on about now? How does class relate to how academically motivated someone is? As for comprehensive education, pretty much 90% of all students are at comps, surely attending one can't distinguish an individual's achievement that much?

That is a truly bizaare and impressively overgeneralised statement.
    There is some truth in it, how many people from private schools can say they have been hopsitalised while at school or had chairs frown at them, teachers being thumped when they are trying to teach etc? I went to a school were only 10% of people got A*-C;s at GCSE was I expected to get the same results as some person at a private school because daddy had a big cheque book?

(Original post by JenniferPowers)
    I get frustrated by the amount of *******s people like you spout!

I didn't say you said anything about Bolton. Perhaps I should have made it clear but I meant most people that have replied to this thread.

OK, you might not care about how other people feel, but imagine you were in this guys position, you'd be pretty gutted! I agree that on a grand scale it doesn't matter, but at least for this moment in time it matters a great deal. It must matter to you otherwise you wouldn't bother with a forum like this. That's the reason he hasn't left the site, because he too cares about his results and eduction just as much as anyone else on here regardless of whether he got A's or U's.

I think that's a pretty heartless attitude to have, not something you should really be too proud of!
    ok, what exactly have I said that you think is *******s?

it's true my heart doesn't bleed every time someone hasn't got the grades they need (if grades are so unimportant, why do they care, anyway?), but I don't think I've done anything to make this guy feel gutted. although I could have forgotten something. if i have do tell me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

why do i care if results day was hard for some people? if they are getting upset by messages on here, LEAVE THE SITE. it's really not hard..
    but the whole point of this site is to help people... why should they have to put up people criticising their grades unecessarily like this when they only want some advice?

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    There is some truth in it, how many people from private schools can say they have been hopsitalised while at school
    well, quite a few believe it or not.

(Original post by pinkegokane)
    but the whole point of this site is to help people... why should they have to put up people criticising their grades unecessarily like this when they only want some advice?
    well, i haven't been criticising anyone's grades, now have i...? so how is this relevant to me?

there is a difference between me not particularly caring about someone's grades and criticising them.

ReputationRep:
    people might think im saying this just coz i got fairly crap results, but i really think it doesnt matter what university you go to as a degree is a degree. people who go to oxford will probably apply for jobs in an area with the same good reputation, but lower university students will apply in an area with a lower reputation but might recieve the same pay as the oxford students.

not sure this is true, but im im tired. goodnight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    well, i haven't been criticising anyone's grades, now have i...? so how is this relevant to me?

there is a difference between me not particularly caring about someone's grades and criticising them.
    sorry, i didn't mean criticising grades, that came out wrong. i meant your apathy in the face of other people's problems - if you can't help it's generally better to stay out of the situation cos chances are you'll only be unhelpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    um, what exactly is the connection between "having morals" and preferring to be at a less respected university... ? are those of us who are going to more respected universities somehow less moral than you... ?
    I mean morals as in not having to put people down to make themselves feel better!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    There is some truth in it, how many people from private schools can say they have been hopsitalised while at school or had chairs frown at them, teachers being thumped when they are trying to teach etc? I went to a school were only 10% of people got A*-C;s at GCSE was I expected to get the same results as some person at a private school because daddy had a big cheque book?

Sure I understand that, I admire anyone who can come from a school with a less than 30% and still do well. Similarly anyone who can effectively teach and inspire people in that enviroment must be amazing.

However the *majority* of comprehensive schools, schools in general, really aren't that bad and I cant how attending one will someone will necessarily perform better than the 10% of people from private/grammar schools.

Need some sleep, off to V tommmorow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    well your teacher may be right in terms of psychology teaching but wrong in most other contexts. compare the employment and further study rates between the top and bottom universities, not to mention realising that degree standardisation means next to nothing in the eyes of top graduate recruitment agencies (e.g. contrast between 1st from oxbridge and 1st from TVU).

considering that most graduates get the upper second class honours degree, there's little to distinguish them in terms of "it's the grade of degree that matters'.

i, for one, do not subscribe to the idea that everyone who gets a minimum of EEE should go to university. mainly because it comes out of everyone else's pocket.

don't get me wrong, i don't believe in the "a-levels are easy" argument or "top universities are the be all and end all". i know damn right that there are other qualities such as work experience, work ethic and personality which carry great weight - i just think that the government's "50% should go to university" is a complete sham, undermines intellectual achievement and is a cost this country certainly doesn't need.
    It doesn't matter about 'top' and 'bottom' universities and their employment rate, it depends on how hard you work for your degree in order to get a 2:1, I am not interested in any other job besides being a Psychology teacher. My teacher is correct, I believe her!!! Now leave it be.

ReputationRep:
    well your teacher may be right in terms of psychology teaching but wrong in most other contexts. compare the employment and further study rates between the top and bottom universities, not to mention realising that degree standardisation means next to nothing in the eyes of top graduate recruitment agencies (e.g. contrast between 1st from oxbridge and 1st from TVU).

considering that most graduates get the upper second class honours degree, there's little to distinguish them in terms of "it's the grade of degree that matters'.

i, for one, do not subscribe to the idea that everyone who gets a minimum of EEE should go to university. mainly because it comes out of everyone else's pocket.

don't get me wrong, i don't believe in the "a-levels are easy" argument or "top universities are the be all and end all". i know damn right that there are other qualities such as work experience, work ethic and personality which carry great weight - i just think that the government's "50% should go to university" is a complete sham, undermines intellectual achievement and is a cost this country certainly doesn't need.
    It comes to something when we have a complete shortage of electricians and plumbers, a lack of vocational courses and a flood of graduates who end up working in fields graduates have never had to work in before.
    People complain that top universities are elitist. But aren't universities meant to be elite; academically elite, that is?

I mean morals as in not having to put people down to make themselves feel better!!!
    ok, well what's the connection with that and wanting to go to a less-respected uni.........?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter about 'top' and 'bottom' universities and their employment rate, it depends on how hard you work for your degree in order to get a 2:1,
    of course it matters if you want to justify the thousands pounds of debt a degree entails. what's the point if you're going to get a similar job to that you'd get if you didn't have a degree? who's to judge how hard you work for your degree aside from degree classification, anyway?

I am not interested in any other job besides being a Psychology teacher.
    then stop generalising comments to include things outside psychology.

Now leave it be
    you don't know me, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    Sure I understand that, I admire anyone who can come from a school with a less than 30% and still do well. Similarly anyone who can effectively teach and inspire people in that enviroment must be amazing.

However the *majority* of comprehensive schools, schools in general, really aren't that bad and I cant how attending one will someone will necessarily perform better than the 10% of people from private/grammar schools.

Need some sleep, off to V tommmorow
    Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not YOU again!!!!!!!!!! NIGHTMARE! He/she/it kept sending me private messages putting me down, taking the p*ss and trying to patronise me about my chosen university. If your so happy with your life Rah2, why do you need to do that!? Your PATHETIC!!!!!!!! Get a life.

(Original post by pinkegokane)
    sorry, i didn't mean criticising grades, that came out wrong. i meant your apathy in the face of other people's problems - if you can't help it's generally better to stay out of the situation cos chances are you'll only be unhelpful.
    if you have actually read the whole thread, you'd have noticed that I came on this thread initially to offer some advice (however useless) about BPS accreditation etc...

ReputationRep:
    of course it matters if you want to justify the thousands pounds of debt a degree entails. what's the point if you're going to get a similar job to that you'd get if you didn't have a degree? who's to judge how hard you work for your degree aside from degree classification, anyway?

Not to me it doesn't, I am doing the correct course to be a Psychology teacher.

then stop generalising comments to include things outside psychology.

And you stop being so high and mighty.

you don't know me, do you?

I don't want to know you either.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not YOU again!!!!!!!!!! NIGHTMARE! He/she/it kept sending me private messages putting me down, taking the p*ss and trying to patronise me about my chosen university. If your so happy with your life Rah2, why do you need to do that!? Your PATHETIC!!!!!!!! Get a life.
    Why don't you just ignore it? I'm sure your blood pressure would thank you, and if you're secure in your decisions, other people's comments shouldn't bother you.

ReputationRep:

I don't want to know you either.
    evidently; i'm not devoid in sense.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.