The Student Room Group

How do people decide between home and away when it comes to uni?

I'm a student in Scotland that is trying to choose between two offers in diagnostic radiography. The first course is better in terms of quality (it is 12% higher overall in student satisfaction rating) but the second course would allow me to move away from home and live in halls. Overall the facilities in the 2nd university is better as well as it is cheaper to live there after my first year.

What advice would you give/ has anyone else dealt with this kind of issue and how did you deal with it?
Reply 1
i factored in the uni league tables and decided to stay at home because that uni was higher on the tables than my second choice.

I also thought about costs because i knew my loan would not cover my costs and I had a job at home so that is another reason I stayed.

I would also, as a piece of advice, seriously consider if you are ready to move out because a lot of people skip lectures and seminars just because they decided to lie in. Therefore you need to be quite disciplined to stay away and I didn't feel like I was haha
Reply 2
The costs, travel time, the social life etc
I always knew I'd move away for uni, I had a bad relationship with my parents and sister at the time and needed my own space. It worked wonders.
Reply 4
Moving away from home is part of the whole uni experience ; you can't just live with your parents forever so learning to live on your own is a good thing and the new found freedom is great too !
Reply 5
Original post by fefssdf
Moving away from home is part of the whole uni experience ; you can't just live with your parents forever so learning to live on your own is a good thing and the new found freedom is great too !

Thank you very much for your reply. I ended up deciding to move away because despite the 2nd uni having a less positive feedback (although not by much) I thought that it wasn't enough to stop me from wanting the full experience.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply
Reply 6
By using the toss a coin, headso or tails method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending