Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Following the publication of my results I was informed that the exam board had sent letters to my school informing them that they were unable to read elements of a number of papers (due to my poor handwriting), I was even given 0 in one exam. Despite this I still (just) got the grades I needed for my firm choice, although of course i'm annoyed that this has happened and affected my grade. Just wondering whether anyone else has had similar difficulties?

ReputationRep:
    Although it does say that handwriting should be legible - it varies, some people can read it, some can't. So giving you a 0 is ludicrous.

if it's that bad they can do things like a transcription where a teacher or someone writes out a copy of what you put. maybe at uni it's worth asking about if you can do your exams on a computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imagashead)
    Following the publication of my results I was informed that the exam board had sent letters to my school informing them that they were unable to read elements of a number of papers (due to my poor handwriting), I was even given 0 in one exam. Despite this I still (just) got the grades I needed for my firm choice, although of course i'm annoyed that this has happened and affected my grade. Just wondering whether anyone else has had similar difficulties?
    Goodness, that's awful!! Surely they can't do that!!!! A 0 for the whole exam is outrageous!!!!!! There's no way they couldn't read a single word surely?! I'm sure if they'd tried they could at least give you a few marks for what they could read!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    if it's that bad they can do things like a transcription where a teacher or someone writes out a copy of what you put. maybe at uni it's worth asking about if you can do your exams on a computer.
    My exam co-ordinator was furious about this. She told me this morning that exam boards are supposed to alert exam co-cordinators well in advance if they have a serious problem with a paper - for instance with handwriting or missing question numbers - so that action can be taken well ahead of results day such as transcription, unfortunately AQA only told her last week, and so when she tried to have some action taken they told her it had gone past the deadline, how ludicrous is that? I am now appealing, after all I've nothing to lose with a 0, as I can't go backwards.

Thats the other stupid thing, exam boards are supposed to alert schools if they have serious difficulty reading a paper, however, although I have very scruffy handwriting, they have never written a letter before. If say they'd said after my GCSE's or AS's, I could then have used a computer or something to have avoided this fiasco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarPlum)
    Goodness, that's awful!! Surely they can't do that!!!! A 0 for the whole exam is outrageous!!!!!! There's no way they couldn't read a single word surely?! I'm sure if they'd tried they could at least give you a few marks for what they could read!!! :eek:
    This is the other thing thats even more frustrating, I'm sure if they'd actually made the effort to read some of it they could have found at least the 1 UMS mark I need to go from a C to a B.

If you still got what you needed you must have been bloody good in the exams they could read, congratulations! It's really unfair that they took so long, you shouldn't have to get 0 because of their mistakes, I'm suprised you're remaining so calm.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.