The Student Room Group

Can graphene conduct electricity?

a) Graphene is a giant covalent structure
b) Each carbon atom is covalently bonded to 3 other carbon atoms. Meaning 1 carbon atom is free to carry the charge. (For graphite it is, I assumed it applied to Graphene too)

But the wording of the questions below makes me think it can be either? Is there no definite answer?

20170417_190232.jpg
Basically you have each carbon atom bonded to three other carbon atoms so you end up with electrons that are delocalised sort of hovering above and below the sheet of atoms. That means if you apply a voltage across it there is nothing really stopping the electrons from flowing - which is the definition of a good conductor. Graphane and graphene are different things - graphane is like graphene but has hydrogen's bonded to the sheet instead (localising the delocalised electrons to the covalent bonds between the hydrogens and the carbons.) Be careful saying that there is no electricity conduction because of covalent bonds - graphene also is bonded covalently, its all about the delocalised electrons.
Oh I see! It's graphane, not graphene. I didn't even notice and neither did my friends. I think its mostly because I had never heard of graphane before. :ahee:

But yeah I can see how the hydrogens localising the delocalised e- would stop it passing the electric charge on.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest