Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm doing my epq and thinking of focusing on analysing relativity. Anyone able to offer any opinions on this or input of their own answer to the very open question.
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not really a Physics argument, but, everything is possible. There are hypothetical particles that could transcend time, known as Tachyons, try looking in to those. A book I presently own is called 'Faster than Light, Superluminal Loopholes in Physics' by Nick Herbert. I'd recommend it if you want to know more about the implications of going faster than light on the idea of time travel.
univ4464
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 410141)
I'm doing my epq and thinking of focusing on analysing relativity. Anyone able to offer any opinions on this or input of their own answer to the very open question.
Clocks tick at different rates depending on how fast you are moving, so to travel to the future all you need to do is go really fast for a long time, and a clock on earth will have ticked a lot more than your own. You can't travel to the past because there is a thing called causality in special relativity in that if one event effects another event every observer must agree that the first one was first.

There is an excellent wiki books book on the topic, if you first learn about matrices and linear algebra in maths
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Specia...ransformations

other than that I'd recommend reading why does E=mc^2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes i do
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
do i think time travel is possible?
JosephC
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Theoretically Yes! Pratically No !

Theoreticallly, Time Travel is possible... If you were build a Maglev like train that had no resistence at all then yes you would be able to bend the laws of Physics and time travel but due to the thickness of our atmosphere we wouldn't reach a high enough speed prior to reaching lateral terminal velocity however if the financial infrastructure and technological infrastructure for that matter were there in maybe a Developed Country we would be able to fly to our nearest black hole and go into its gravitational pull which would then bend the laws of Physics and time travel depending whether you went Anti - Clockwise or Clockwise will depend whether you go back in time or not. Then we come to the dimensional dilemma of how do you land a futuristic NASA invention in the 1850s without the English spilling their tea... That would be all together another post.
petrblak
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
glad-he-ate-her :congrats: Very clever..
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by petrblak)
glad-he-ate-her :congrats: Very clever..
Thanks
.Iqra.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course it's possible
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i think the grandfather paradox ought to be mentioned here
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Not really a Physics argument, but, everything is possible.
Well that`s just not true- staple some water to a tree without a container then
dididid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes it is , see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgRGXnGtsLI
YourGoddamnRight
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is possible, because you're travelling in time right now.

Spoiler:
Show

Kravence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Only into the future with our current understanding of physics.
Travelling into the past would include going faster than the speed of light and a lot of other complicated stuff which is deemed impossible.
Hōseki
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Time travel is not possible...or should I say not yet? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Attachment 637056
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
Well that`s just not true- staple some water to a tree without a container then
One day, you never know what might happen. That's the point of saying everything is possible :P

It's just the notion that what might seem impossible now will most likely become doable in the future, that's what I tried to imply though. Akin to how they thought we couldn't fly, or how we created all these new materials to serve our needs, i.e. plastics: one day we might have staple-able water sheets!
Adam_1999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope
Nirvana1989-1994
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One of the big questions of life is, will we ever time travel?

Technically, we already time travel at a rate of 1 hour per hour. But, most interest in in whether we can time travel to the past of at a faster rate to the future, and return back to the present, like in multimedia from popular culture (Doctor Who, and Back to the Future), but, scientists say that this may not be possible. Taking into account a notion, created by Albert Einstein, called Special Relativity. This theory says that space and time are really aspects of the same thing which is space-time. There's a speed limit of 300,000 kilometers per second for anything that travels through space-time, and light always travels the speed limit through empty space. Special Relativity also says that a surprising thing happens when you move through space-time, especially when your speed relative to other objects is close to the speed of light. Time goes slower for you than for the people you left behind. You won't notice this effect until you return to those stationary people. For example, if you were 15 years old when you left Earth in a spacecraft traveling at about 3/4 of the speed of light, which is much faster than we can achieve now, and celebrated only five birthdays during your space voyage. When you get home at the age of 20, you would find that all your classmates were 65 years old. Because time passed more slowly for you, you will have experienced only five years of life, while your classmates will have experienced a full 50 years.

From some essay I did ages ago. Meh.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Get a train to St Helens and you will have your answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (107)
60.45%
No (36)
20.34%
Not sure (34)
19.21%

Watched Threads