This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Roads motion (TSR Libertarian Party, Seconded by: Rt. Hon. Hazzer1998 MP)

It is the opinion of this House that the Government of the United Kingdom should Give a section of Road to every citizen of the uk as roads are paid for by taxes and taxation is theft.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
An easy aye, very in depth and detailed motion!
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That would be less than 7 metres of road per person. Not worth it in my opinion. Better for all the roads to belong to all the people.

Also worth noting that as not everyone pays the same amount in taxes (so not everyone contributes equally to the financial burden of road paving) to divvy up the roads (into uselessly small pieces) equally amongst every citizen is a very communistic thing to do. Surely this is not the proposers' intention? Of course the motion is ambiguous - perhaps the proposers mean that the size of the sections will differ proportionally to the amount paid in taxes in which case the motion fails to take into consideration those citizens who do not pay taxes.

As a joke motion I rate this 4/10. I would have given a lower score but then I imagined what toll booths every 7 metres would be like and that was quite a funny image. Could be worse but unfortunately the motion doesn't reach the lofty heights of being witty.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What kind of ideological nonsense is this?
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
That would be less than 7 metres of road per person. Not worth it in my opinion. Better for all the roads to belong to all the people.

Also worth noting that as not everyone pays the same amount in taxes (so not everyone contributes equally to the financial burden of road paving) to divvy up the roads (into uselessly small pieces) equally amongst every citizen is a very communistic thing to do. Surely this is not the proposers' intention? Of course the motion is ambiguous - perhaps the proposers mean that the size of the sections will differ proportionally to the amount paid in taxes in which case the motion fails to take into consideration those citizens who do not pay taxes.

As a joke motion I rate this 4/10. I would have given a lower score but then I imagined what toll booths every 7 metres would be like and that was quite a funny image. Could be worse but unfortunately the motion doesn't reach the lofty heights of being witty.
The Libertarians would continue to support the free market, some new road owners would not bother collecting their tolls, and some road owners would be unable to maintain the roads. There would be road owners selling their stretch of road to a road owner who could mange the roads, the larger road owners would use the revenue to purchase more road to use for their own enterprise, and corporations owning the road would form. The motion is a shoddy way of privatising the road network which could be done better by allowing companies to bid on parts of the road.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
The Libertarians would continue to support the free market, some new road owners would not bother collecting their tolls, and some road owners would be unable to maintain the roads. There would be road owners selling their stretch of road to a road owner who could mange the roads, the larger road owners would use the revenue to purchase more road to use for their own enterprise, and corporations owning the road would form. The motion is a shoddy way of privatising the road network which could be done better by allowing companies to bid on parts of the road.
I seem to have underestimated the right honourable gentleman's capacity for irony, I would expect such from the likes of Aph, but I would think that a sharp mind such as yours would see that this motion was clearly written in jest.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I seem to have underestimated the right honourable gentleman's capacity for irony, I would expect such from the likes of Aph, but I would think that a sharp mind such as yours would see that this motion was clearly written in jest.
It is a Libertarian motion, after the low standards the Libertarian Party has set with its previous items, this motion being a joke is not clear.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Ah, but how much road people should get should be dependent on how much money the state had stolen from them, so it averages at 7m but for most it would be maybe a few inches.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Finally something worth reading on this forum.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Ah, but how much road people should get should be dependent on how much money the state had stolen from them, so it averages at 7m but for most it would be maybe a few inches.
I get the sense you didn't read my entire post.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I get the sense you didn't read my entire post.
Well, I did and decided there was no point in trying to argue with you over your statism.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
jesus. nay.

very communistic thing to do.
woahwoahwoah hold ye horses."Down with the liars who are talking of freedom and equality for all, while there is an oppressed sex, while there are oppressor classes, while there is private ownership of capital, of shares, while there are the well-fed with their surplus of bread who keep the hungry in bondage. Not freedom for all, not equality for all, but a fight against the oppressors and exploiters, the abolition of every possibility of oppression and exploitation-that is our slogan!” - Lenin.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
These joke items are getting boring now guys.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've never seen as many people on the left opposing giving people something for free before, now hopefully continue to say no to giving things away from now on
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay.

*Has a slight seizure at the thought of even doing this*
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dibs on the M25 J25
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh Haz :laugh:
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
Nay.

*Has a slight seizure at the thought of even doing this*
I preferred afc1 :hand:
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
Oh Haz :laugh:
It's a great motion isn't it, this is the type of motion that will be submitted when we are called fake libertarians
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (69)
33.17%
No I don't (98)
47.12%
I work during the holidays (41)
19.71%

Watched Threads