Rosanna_Jacko
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My school art department has had a 5-year A*-C grade streak, and I don't think I'll make it to a C. I'm not a bad artist, but I let the coursework get on top of me and it's too late now. But if I fail, I'll feel awful... Does anyone who did art gcse have any recommendations for easy grades- like easy marks, or even a similar experience? Thanks.
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rosanna_Jacko)
My school art department has had a 5-year A*-C grade streak, and I don't think I'll make it to a C. I'm not a bad artist, but I let the coursework get on top of me and it's too late now. But if I fail, I'll feel awful... Does anyone who did art gcse have any recommendations for easy grades- like easy marks, or even a similar experience? Thanks.
Not sure if it's changed in the last 6 years, but it used to be that the teacher marked most stuff and only a bit was externally moderated - so basically be nice to your teacher

In terms of pulling up your art grades, I managed to get up from being predicted a D at Christmas of year 11 to getting an A in the end, it's definitely possible. I'd say the tip is that it's all in the presentation of your work (I'd recommend putting it all in one of those black A3 sketchbooks you can get from craft stores, with your work on white paper, possibly with a small border), and doing lots of "background research" stuff. Probably depends a bit on your exam board/ school, but I'd recommend (per project):

- 2 artist studies = 4 pages of an A3 sketchbook, just copy a couple of their paintings and write about why you really loved their work. The more random rubbish you write the better
- 3 object studies = 3 pages, pick three objects you want in your final piece, e.g. a tree, a rock, a table, a person, whatever, and sketch it from different angles, in different lighting, using pencils/ pastels/ oil paints/ water colour, try out lots of different media. Feel free to get ridiculously creative and paint your outdoor scene "in mud" or whatever, for extra brownie points
- 3 idea developments = 6 pages, pick two or three 'ideas' for your final piece (e.g. if you've got to do a water colour of a landscape, pick three possible landscapes) and try and incorporate as many of the things from your artist/ object studies as possible. You don't have to paint the ideas in full, just rough sketches is fine. Go creative by adding random colour palettes or inspirational fabric samples or whatever around the edge of the pages
- One final idea - develop it a bit further from your original idea, for example by trying out different media or positioning the components of the piece slightly differently (e.g. person sat on the left of the table or the right, looking at the plant pot or the window, etc.) write loads of random comments about what 'inspired' each idea, what mood it creates, the techniques used, etc.
- Your final piece - try and keep it simple. If you're not very good at accurate drawings of real life things, consider doing a more abstract piece or making a sculpture (although your teacher/ school will probably restrict your options on this).
- Reflections on your final piece - talk about it's 'meaning' and what specific things inspired it, what mood it creates, how it makes you feel, as well as how good your technique was etc.

Throughout the whole thing, just try and write as much random rubbish about everything as possible, relating to it's mood, style, inspiration, texture, historical/ societal/ cultural links, etc. They probably won't read it all but it makes you look creative and inspired
haseeb1805
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rosanna_Jacko)
just quickly do lots of experimentaion with different things, pencil, pens paint etc. with little time left for best hope is abstract - easy to do in very little time
Brooks2001
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing my art gcse this year I've just done my exam and I recommend you do detailed annotations,say how you did it why you did it why you like it or don't like it. If you finish your exam early and are happy and have time left don't waste it write a final annotation on your project and write and over view of how the exam went, what you liked what you didn't like about your work, what went well how it could of gone better and how you think it could be improved. Examaniers want to see not how good you do your work but how you know you're doing right or wrong and if there is a deeper meaning behind your pieces they like to know what it is so they can see how you've shown it these gain you up to 8 marks on annotations depending how detailed and I'm depts they are and the evaluations will get you 4 marks.in your sketbook do flaps so the reader has to stop and unfold things so they take time to actually look at your work because my teacher is an examiner herself and she said literally they just flip through and then grade it because of how many they have to do so when they have to stop to read things and food things down to see the picture it gets higher marks because it's more interesting than just your pieces stuck in. Hope it helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (121)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed