The Student Room Group

fashion promotion portfolio HELP!!

Hi,

i know i definitely want to study fashion promotion next year, but have no idea where to start with my portfolio!

i read online that the sort of things i can include are like mini photoshoots, putting together outfits, advertising a product, and trend boards, but apart from these i haven't got much of a clue. i have so many questions, if anyone can answer them for me it would be REALLY appreciated!

do i have to have a running theme throughout the portfolio?

how much content do i even need?

what other ideas and things should my portfolio contain apart form the ones i mentioned above?

where do i even start for e.g.: what should the first page of my portfolio even look like?

if anyone has already studied fashion promotion or is currently, can you tell me a few ideas that you did in your portfolio?

should i stick to one medium i.e. drawing or can i mix it up

does my whole portfolio have to flow as an entire piece?

can it be digital?

i honestly have no clue of what sort of things my portfolio should contain so if anyone has any ideas to help start me off it would be so helpful!

Original post by omara980
Hi,

i know i definitely want to study fashion promotion next year, but have no idea where to start with my portfolio!

i read online that the sort of things i can include are like mini photoshoots, putting together outfits, advertising a product, and trend boards, but apart from these i haven't got much of a clue. i have so many questions, if anyone can answer them for me it would be REALLY appreciated!

what other ideas and things should my portfolio contain apart form the ones i mentioned above?

where do i even start for e.g.: what should the first page of my portfolio even look like?

if anyone has already studied fashion promotion or is currently, can you tell me a few ideas that you did in your portfolio?

can it be digital?

i honestly have no clue of what sort of things my portfolio should contain so if anyone has any ideas to help start me off it would be so helpful!

Not all Fashion Promotion type degrees will require a portfolio so do your research to find out whether it's required for your longlist of favourite courses.

Then dig around on their websites - they should have some good guidance if you need a portfolio about what to include: http://www.nua.ac.uk/bafcp/portfolio/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mllTc89ZcQI for example.

You can go digital or hardcopy - it's entirely up to you. The key is to have a range of different things in there - include sketches and drawing (and if you aren't confident with your sketching/drawing join a life drawing class to help build up your skills and challenge you to draw outside your comfort zone - you need to be able to draw from life not just from photo references for most courses), include notes and comments on your thought process and development of work, include sketchbooks where you work through ideas (including the ones that don't work out - sketchbooks should be true reflections not a sanitized version of your work). Ideally try to get some live briefs - see if you can do some projects for friends/family/school/charities that help them promote something. Again producing work to suit someone else will challenge you to produce something outside your comfort zone and stretch your skills.
Original post by omara980
Hi,

can it be digital?

Hey There!

I agree with PQ. Jump out of your comfort zone and build more on your work. It will help you improve a lot! :smile:

You don't have to have a running theme through your portfolio. It would be nice to have a range of different themes to show your range of skills. You can have as much content as you want. I recommend you make sure you show your process to your final pieces.
Your portfolio can consist both digital and practical/3D pieces. It would be nice to see more than one area of your creativeness. :biggrin:

Here at Ravensbourne we have a Fashion promotion course you might want to take a look at.
We are based in London and near the o2 arena. Feel free to check us out. Click Me for link :biggrin:

Hope this helps
Kay

Quick Reply

Latest