Being declined a phone contract / credit score Watch

Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Has anyone else had the following:
I wanted to buy myself out of my phone contract, Because of the way it works with Virgin, you just pay off your phone.
Dad phoned up (the phone is in his name and I pay him each month) and asked for the phone contract to be put into my name and could I please have a new phone. They only allowed me to have a cheap phone or a sim only. Yet, I've had phone contracts on and off since I was 20, (i'm now 28) a credit card for just under 2 years and a bank account in my own name since I was 16. I have never been overdrawn or missed any payments on any direct debits or my credit card and do pay that little bit extra on my credit card each month.

I walked into EE and got accepted with no problems at all. No-one else has ever rejected me for any form of credit either.

I tried to look up my credit score on clear score who couldn't find me. Does this have anything to do with the fact that when I registered on the electoral roll, I requested to have my details hidden?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

A few suggestions out there that https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/ are more likely than others to give you a mobile phone contract if you've been declined elsewhere.

Make sure you register to vote (if you're over 18) before you apply.

There are also some super cheap phone deals around for Black Friday:
Last edited by Professor Oak; 7 months ago
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Has anyone else had the following:
I wanted to buy myself out of my phone contract, Because of the way it works with Virgin, you just pay off your phone.
Dad phoned up (the phone is in his name and I pay him each month) and asked for the phone contract to be put into my name and could I please have a new phone. They only allowed me to have a cheap phone or a sim only. Yet, I've had phone contracts on and off since I was 20, (i'm now 28) a credit card for just under 2 years and a bank account in my own name since I was 16. I have never been overdrawn or missed any payments on any direct debits or my credit card and do pay that little bit extra on my credit card each month.

I walked into EE and got accepted with no problems at all. No-one else has ever rejected me for any form of credit either.

I tried to look up my credit score on clear score who couldn't find me. Does this have anything to do with the fact that when I registered on the electoral roll, I requested to have my details hidden?
It's possible, it's also possible your credit card provider isn't providing your details to credit rating agencies. I recently discovered my credit score had started plummeting and got hold of my credit report (Experian). It turned out my credit card wasn't on there and since I'd got a new phone contract the rating agency was reducing my credit score each month for not using any credit...
chippyshell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by natninja)
It's possible, it's also possible your credit card provider isn't providing your details to credit rating agencies. I recently discovered my credit score had started plummeting and got hold of my credit report (Experian). It turned out my credit card wasn't on there and since I'd got a new phone contract the rating agency was reducing my credit score each month for not using any credit...
Thats kinda how it works though, if you don't use credit your overall score will definitely suffer for it. - Its seen as a bad thing when you have available credit that you are not using.

Best thing to do is use your CC like a debit card and just pay it off at the end of each month, i have done this for just over 1 year and CC score is around 905.
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chippyshell)
Thats kinda how it works though, if you don't use credit your overall score will definitely suffer for it. - Its seen as a bad thing when you have available credit that you are not using.

Best thing to do is use your CC like a debit card and just pay it off at the end of each month, i have done this for just over 1 year and CC score is around 905.
Not the point I'm making, I'm saying if you have credit make sure the ratings agencies know about it! My credit score fell from 992 to 912 in three months even though I was paying off my credit card every month and have a healthy 20%-30% utilisation on it...
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by natninja)
Interesting. I do use my credit card quite often, like for buying items over £100 or buying things abroad.
Sternumator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely worth getting to the bottom of why clearscore can't find you and getting on the electoral role.

I wouldn't worry much about one firm though. They all have their own criteria. I got rejected for the 123 bank account but then got a 10k credit card the next month with a different bank.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (127)
19.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (62)
9.54%
No I am happy with my course choice (368)
56.62%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.31%

Watched Threads