Sign of four theme quotes Watch

Danny langhorn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am struggling to find quotes for each theme on sign of four which are: crime, good and evil, justice , duality, wealth, love and friendship and mystery. Would someone be able to help?
Nunchuck-master-2334
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Danny langhorn)
I am struggling to find quotes for each theme on sign of four which are: crime, good and evil, justice , duality, wealth, love and friendship and mystery. Would someone be able to help?
I am extremely mysterious
ShantelleEllyse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
one of the themes is empire and imperialism which you can put into context and relate it to the sign of four when they were on the Island and stole the treasure because the book is a representation of what the British empire was once like with taking things from other countries and not giving back. You could also make reference to the 'moroccan' case that Sherlock has in the opening with his drugs and reference to the description of Pondicherry Lodge.

The theme of fear can be represented through the descriptions of Jonathan Small and Tonga. For example when Small is referred to as "the wooden legged man" or when Small and Tonga are described as a "Villainous pairing" or when there is "no proof of existence" because it creates the impression of myths and legends like the story of Small and Tonga is something that creates fear because no one really knows if they're real and the idea of them is something that makes people feel fear. The fact that they are also "savages" creates fear because a savage was someone from a foreign island and based on the time era in which the book is set people didn't have knowledge of the wider world so a person from a foreign island was something quite intimidating and fearful for people.
hanawill4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Love - "We stood hand in hand like two children" Watson about Mary
Crime/Detection - "an automaton, a cold, calculating machine" about Holmes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise