The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Education Question

Hi everyone, I did an essay on gender and attainment and got my teacher to mark it. One of her comments was to add the perspective of the New Right and Postmodernism, but I don't have any note of their views of gender and attainment and I can't find anything in any of my revision books. Does anyone know if there is specific information from them relating to gender and attainment or if i should just be general about it? e.g. Postmodernist see society as being more individualised and fragmented than in the past.
The question was evaluate the view that gender differences in both subject choice and educational achievement are mainly the result if the wider of wider society.
Original post by emmaarizona
Hi everyone, I did an essay on gender and attainment and got my teacher to mark it. One of her comments was to add the perspective of the New Right and Postmodernism, but I don't have any note of their views of gender and attainment and I can't find anything in any of my revision books. Does anyone know if there is specific information from them relating to gender and attainment or if i should just be general about it? e.g. Postmodernist see society as being more individualised and fragmented than in the past.
The question was evaluate the view that gender differences in both subject choice and educational achievement are mainly the result if the wider of wider society.

There is a postmodernist view that gender is a social construct and is actually a spectrum, rather than a binary male/female thing. May be worth looking into and commenting on? Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Cognition!
There is a postmodernist view that gender is a social construct and is actually a spectrum, rather than a binary male/female thing. May be worth looking into and commenting on? Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! Gonna try and add that the next time I do a practice x
potentially you could mention the new right policy of reforming a levels so theyre linear? could potentially give boys a better chance of success because theyre apparently not as good as girls with coursework according to Mitsos and Brown....if thats no use then just ignore me haha
also i would suggest doing a little synoptic link to how ethnicity, social class and gender can be combined and affect achievement too...but i wont go into detail about that cause you seem to know what yorue doing :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mollyadtr
potentially you could mention the new right policy of reforming a levels so theyre linear? could potentially give boys a better chance of success because theyre apparently not as good as girls with coursework according to Mitsos and Brown....if thats no use then just ignore me haha
also i would suggest doing a little synoptic link to how ethnicity, social class and gender can be combined and affect achievement too...but i wont go into detail about that cause you seem to know what yorue doing :smile:

Thank you! Yeah that sounds good I didn't even think of adding the New Right policy stuff which I do have notes on so thats perfect thanks for your help :smile:
Thank you! Yeah that sounds good I didn't even think of adding the New Right policy stuff which I do have notes on so thats perfect thanks for your help :smile:

no problem! how are you finding the never ending a level sociology just out of curiosity? :smile:
Reply 6
no problem! how are you finding the never ending a level sociology just out of curiosity? :smile:

Struggling through haha I've never had so much I need to revise in my life! Doesn't help that my teacher is awful but hopefully I'll get there eventually. What about you? Please say I'm not the only one struggling lol
Struggling through haha I've never had so much I need to revise in my life! Doesn't help that my teacher is awful but hopefully I'll get there eventually. What about you? Please say I'm not the only one struggling lol

i feel your pain haha suicide seems like a great option at the moment :biggrin: what is it this year with bad teachers?! my teacher left on maternity leave on december so we had a sub up until last half term....how close to done are you with actually learning the inital content?
Reply 8
i feel your pain haha suicide seems like a great option at the moment :biggrin: what is it this year with bad teachers?! my teacher left on maternity leave on december so we had a sub up until last half term....how close to done are you with actually learning the inital content?

As far as I know my class is done with the learning, so when we go back we're straight into revision and past papers but I literally am so lost on what we have to learn and I have no clue how to answer the questions especially the theory stuff
As far as I know my class is done with the learning, so when we go back we're straight into revision and past papers but I literally am so lost on what we have to learn and I have no clue how to answer the questions especially the theory stuff

thats lucky then youve got a lot of time to go over everything..and i know the theory parts are impossible to guess, the questions could literally be about anything :frown: the society questions they could ask are so vague
thats lucky then youve got a lot of time to go over everything..and i know the theory parts are impossible to guess, the questions could literally be about anything :frown: the society questions they could ask are so vague

If ur looking for any questions on the theory stuff I have a couple of revision guides that have example answers in them, they r on amazon if u wanted to take a look. I find them so much better than any notes my teacher has given me

Quick Reply

Latest