The Student Room Group

Who will you vote for in the general election?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miao_miao
Lib Dems have no credibility.

Tim Farron is the man, who after brexit vote with the public, openly told his MPs to vote against brexit. Like wtf mate, the people voted to leave and you are going against the same people who put you in parliament.

I will never vote lib dem in my life.

You might not - but then this might be a test of how religious the fervour of the Europhiles actually is. If they vote with as much conviction as they cry, then there should be a Lib Dem government.
My constituency will always be Tory but I'm still going to vote Labour
Original post by bones-mccoy
My constituency will always be Tory but I'm still going to vote Labour

would anything change your vote?
Original post by niteninja1
Can we throw him out of a helicopter

only if you promise to handcuff him to sturgeon
I will vote Green
Reply 65
My answer is probably obvious but I doubt the Greens will get more than the 1 seat we already hold. I can hope. The seat I live in will stay SNP like most if not all the others in Scotland. The real question is how does Labour fight Brexit questions this election as the Lib Dems have their pro-EU position that will win them a decent amount of votes (I see them doing better than they did in 2015 but not enough to make that much of a difference) but Labour are stuck somewhere in the middle. They don't dare take a position similar to the Lib Dems but clearly need to oppose the "hard Brexit" the current government want.

Best outcome we can hope for is that the conservatives lose their majority but I'm not convinced that will happen. Polls in recent elections have had a habit of being wrong though. It just amazes me how hypocritical this move makes Theresa May look; she's said on multiple occasions that she wouldn't call a snap election and also that "now is not the time" for another referendum on Scottish independence citing "getting on with Brexit" in both cases.
Voting L̶a̶b̶o̶u̶r Corbyn
Original post by miao_miao
Let me tell you something interesting about me. I invest in the financial markets and am currently doing a PhD in finance. I have around £34,600 invested in the markets alone. What countries do you think the majority of my portfolio is allocated to?

It's the US, UK and India. These are the economies with the most potential over the next 10 years, in particular India. If you can secure trade deals with the countries that actually matter in the world, that is the US, India, China and Japan, you can say a big f you to the europeans. Outside of Germany and France, who else actually has a meaningful economic output. Half the nations in the EU are scroungers, living off the EU budget and giving nothing back in return.
At the same time, an overwhelming majority of professional economists (who also have their PhD's, years of experience etc.) believe that Brexit will harm the economy. I never said that Britain will economically implode, I even acknowledged how robust it has been, but my point is that it could do even better by staying in the single market.

Up until very recently, the EU were negotiating a trade deal with the US. There is no reason why a deal wouldn't also be negotiated with India (and other countries) at some point in time. There is no need to say "f you to the Europeeans" when we can help to influence trade negotiations with other large economies from within the EU. Do you seriously think we will be able to wield as much influence from outside? It is because of the clout of the EU that the TTIP deal wasn't going to decrease our standards for the use of chemicals in products (in Europe, you must prove it is safe, whereas in America you must prove it is harmful). At the minute, we are unable to pressurise Trump on anything because we need to be grovelling at his feet for a trade deal.

You're completely refusing to address my main point, namely that the EU is a ticket to influence. For example, if America withdraws from the Paris Climate Agreement it will be a disaster - but who will pressure them not to? Not us, because we are in desperate need of a trade deal; we would not need this trade deal so urgently had we remained. We could have instead, through the collective clout of all 28 EU nations, pressured America into a deal that is both economically beneficial as well as environmentally friendly.
(edited 7 years ago)
i shall be voting for the Conservative and Unionist Party...

there is Something About May

trssomethingaboutmay3.png
I will vote Conservative, grudgingly. I do not agree with their "Hard Brexit" platform, but I still think they are better than the alternatives.
Conservatives.

We need to destroy labour and poor people who leach off our taxes by claiming benefit ps they have not earned.
Can we please add Green to the voting options on the poll? Loads of younger people vote Green.
Reply 72
Well Conservatives are very likely to win a landslide victory and I hope the majority who voted UKIP in the past general election would switch over to Conservative so not to divide the vote. I can see the Lib Dems having gains in urban and student areas with Labour taking heavy losses in those areas, as well as in Leave heartlands, such as Wales and the industrial north.
Can we add undecided? I'm really not too sure at the moment who I want running this country.
Reply 74
Live in a labour-Tory marginal but I'm not sure how corbyns ratings will reduce the chances of tactically voting labour will work.
In my heart I support the Green Party but this election I desperately want the tories to loose, I also don't want brexit so I'm tempted by the lib dems.

Basically I want to see a lib-lab-grn electoral pact to defeat the tories but failing that I might look at the polls and then vote tactically which I hate.
Original post by shooks
So we're all set for another general election. Who will you be voting for?

Conservative

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
Live in a labour-Tory marginal but I'm not sure how corbyns ratings will reduce the chances of tactically voting labour will work.
In my heart I support the Green Party but this election I desperately want the tories to loose, I also don't want brexit so I'm tempted by the lib dems.

Basically I want to see a lib-lab-grn electoral pact to defeat the tories but failing that I might look at the polls and then vote tactically which I hate.

They aren't going to lose so just vote for who you like

Posted from TSR Mobile
None of them. It's so frustrating to not have any party that actually represents me and that I can vote for. Maybe if there's a strong local independent candidate I might change my mind.

Original post by Merlin98
Then you have no right to complain when you don't get the result you want, or dislike least

People have every right to complain regardless of whether they voted or not. The disillusioned ones who don't support any of the available options have lots to complain about.

This idea that people should vote for parties they don't support just so they have a right to complain afterwards is utterly moronic.
I'll vote Lib Dem or maybe Labour, depending on how those two parties conduct their campaigns over the next few weeks. I can't vote for a party that is so intent on destroying welfare and the NHS, even though a united conservative majority would *probably* ensure a more forceful and therefore more beneficial brexit deal.
Reply 79
A conservative lead in this poll on a site filled with students and young people - the people labour should be appealing to most/naturally… it really says a lot doesn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending