The Student Room Group

Gap yah gains

Lost all my gains being a lazy stoner and not feeding myself at uni, literally eating one subway sandwich and some cookies every other day and just generally being self destructive (atleast I'm starting out skinny which is better than starting fat imo, and muscle memory etc.). On a gap yah now though and have all the time in the world to do what I love the most.

Going for an every other day routine and 4-5 exercises each workout. usually when I have this much free time I train almost everyday and go absolutely crazy training whatever doesn't hurt just cus it's so addictive to me. But it's pretty unhealthy and I actually need to become a badass artist (which takes time) before I go back to uni so gonna test out the minimilast training route now. And see how it goes.

Might post rollerskating vids as well because I'm trying to get to a level thats youtube worthy.

Dunno if I'll post a before pic because it's just an embarassment. I feel disgusted with myself when I look in the mirror and see how far I've fallen lmao.

edit: oh ye i prob made this in the wrong section. If theres a fitness blog section you can move it there lol.

Haven't abandoned this btw. Just waiting until I have my gym membership. Got an appointment tomorrow. I had an appointment to join today but I didn't leave my house because I wasn't feeling well.

Just an FYI: On the workout plan I'm following I'm supposed to be doing 5, 6, 8 reps on the 2 heavy lifts. And 3 x 12 for the assistance exercises. Sometimes I add extra sets just because it feels too easy. or the volume feels too low. Or if I messed up by going too heavy on the first set.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

20/04/2017

Holy :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: I joined the gym today and I am SO WEAK.

I didn't start my actual routine yet. I just messed about on the gym rings and pullup bar for a bit and went home. Could only do 5 pullups before failure :s-smilie:
Before I started smoking my gains away I was doing 40kg+ pullups for reps with good form.

What have I done to myself lmao.

Whatever though the real workout starts tomorrow morning. Should take me 3 weeks to get back to normal I reckon.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
21/04/2017

editting in my workout here. Right I forgot to bring my workout notebook to the gym and couldn't remember the workout rotuine so I just winged it. I used this really weird looking leg press machine because there were a bunch of kids hogging the squat rack. Also I don't feel as weak as yesterday. I think all the junk food I ate last night gave me extra strength :smile: Ate a bunch of cheesecake just now as well. Strength gains hi.

Also this workout is in a fasted state. I do most of my workouts like that. I do intermittent fasting as well but I'm not strict about it. If I can't be arsed being hungry then I'll eat in the morning usually.
(not posting warmup sets. Also the rep numbers may be slightly off on this one because I didn't write them down)

incline dumbell bench press - (9 x 32kg), (8 x 28kg), (8 x 26kg)
Leg press - (20 x 240kg), (15x260kg), (12x260kg)
side lateral raises - (10 x 10kg), (8x 10kg), (5x10kg)
Cable tricep pulldown - (12 x25kg) (12 x 25kg (10 x 25kg)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
23/04/2017

I did the wrong exercises last time because I forgot my notebook. Was supposed to do legs today but I did it last time. After this workout it should be in order though.

weighted chinup - (20kg x 8), (15kg x 8), (10kg x 6)
barbell curl - (30kg x 8), (30kg x 6), (30kg x 6)
Bent over dumbell fly - (8kg x 8), (8kg x 9), (8kg x 6)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

25/04/2017

I might swap out those lateral shoulder raises. They kinda hurt my wrists. Don't like the exercise lol. Weight is literally too heavy for my skinny wrists lmao.

incline dumbell bench press - (32kg x 8), (30kg x 8), (28kg x 7)
standing barbell shoulder press - (40kg x 5), (35kg x 6), (30kg x 7)
Side lateral raise - (8kg x 9), (8kg x 7), (8kg x 8)
skull crushers - (30kg x 6), (25kg x 8), (25kg x 7)

27/04/2017

Holy moly I over did it in the gym today. Not been getting enough sleep because of the antidepressants and I'm overtraining now. Might take a couple days off. Was dizzy during the leg exercises and after I trained abs at the end of the workout I felt sooo sick. Wanted to curl up in a ball on the floor but I thought that would look a bit over the top so I sat down on a chair and closed my eyes instead. Was out of breath for the entire walk home lol. And I bought a chicken bake, took a bite out of it but couldn't swallow. Feel alright now though. Had a nap and finished the chicken bake.

Didn't even make much progress anyway. over training just gives you backwards progress.

Weighted chin up - (25kg x 5), (20kg x 4), (15kg x 4), (10kg x 3), (5kg x 2)
one leg dumbel squat - (22kg x 6), (18kg x 8 ), (16kg x 15) <-------------------- Just an fyi. It's two 22kg dumbells
Barbell curl - (30kg x 8), (30kg x 8), (30kg x 5)
bent over fly - (8kg x 12), (8kg x 10), (8kg x 8) <------------------------------------ same here

can't be arsed recording ab work outs.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
29/04/2017

Don't really know if I should go to the gym because my triceps are still sore. But :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: it I'm going anyway :bigsmile: Supposed to be doing (34kg x 5) atleast on dumbell bench press today. I purposely started with a lower weight than usual to account for this in my first workout. So it won't slow progress down.

lol some teenager boys were mirin my bench press. Wasn't even lifting that much. But ye pretty annoying because the gym doesn't have any 34kg dumbells and I had to go straight to 35kg which is too big of a jump. I'll probably go for 3 sets of 32kg next workout, then go to 35kg after that. Making pretty fast progress on the isolation lifts though which is good.

Incline Dumbell Press (35kg x 2), (32kg x 7), (30kg x 7), (28kg x 4)
Standing overhead press (40kg x 7), (37.5kg x 7), (35kg x 8)
Side lateral raise (8kg x 11), (8kg x 10), (8kg x 9)
skulll crusher (30kg x 11), (30kg x 9), (30kg x 6)

more ab stuff. Fell off the pullup bar and couldn't get back up for ages cus arms were too tired lmao.
01/05/2017

Daaaamn it was a struggle today. And I pulled both my bicep muscles it :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing hurts. Forgot my workout book as well so had to guess what I was doing. I am not making any progress on these weighted chin ups. Might need longer rest times or something idk. or take a break and do something else.

Weighted chin ups (25kg x 5), (20kg x 5), (17.5kg x 4), (15kg x 2), ( bodyweight x 3)
one leg dumbel squat (28kg x 5), (24kg x 8), (20kg x 13)
barbell bicep curl (30kg x 12), (30kg x 10), (30kg x 10)
bent over fly (9kg x 12), (9kg x 12), (9kg x 9)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

03/05/2017

These weights are starting to get heavy. Had to ask one of the big guys in the gym to help me get them into place for my last 32kg incline dumbell press set lol. Think I'll have another go at the 35kg dumbells on my next workout.

Incline Dumbell Press (32kg x 6), (32kg x 8), (32kg x 6), (28kg x 2)
Standing overhead press (42.5kg x 7), (40kg x 8), (37.5kg x 11)
Side lateral raise (8kg x 12), (8kg x 9), (8kg x 9)
skulll crusher (30kg x 12), (30kg x 11), (30kg x 7)

04/05/2017

Went to the gym and did a bunch of ab stuff because I was bored. Also was in the skate park all day. But I skate all day most days.

05/05/2017

Weighted chin ups (27.5kg x 5), (22.5kg x 6), (20kg x 4), (15kg x 3)
one leg dumbel squat (30kg x 5), (24kg x 8), (20kg x 12)
barbell bicep curl (30kg x 12), (30kg x 12), (30kg x 7)
bent over fly (9kg x 12), (9kg x 12), (9kg x 11)

06/05/2017

Did a bunch of core training.

07/05/2017

Boom. Onto the 35kg dumbells. Theres only 2 heavier dumbells left in my gym, 40kg and 45kg. Once I'm onto 45kg for 3 sets I'm gonna move onto another chest exercise. Also 90kg is almost 1.5x my bodyweight so that's gonna be pretty cool. If you can't bench press 1.5x you bodyweight, do you even lift?

I can finall increase the weight on the last 2 exercises as well. Was getting bored of the same weight so I bashed out 3x12 on both.

Incline Dumbell Press (35kg x 8), (32kg x 3), (32kg x 3), (30kg x 6), (28kg x 6)
Standing overhead press (45kg x 5), (42.5kg x 6), (40kg x 8)
Side lateral raise (8kg x 12), (8kg x 12), (8kg x 12)
skulll crusher (30kg x 12), (30kg x 12), (30kg x 12)

08/05/2017

did more core training. Decided I'm going to do this every other day in between the main workouts so I have something fun to do on those days. I'll start recording them now. Summers getting close need to get sexy dem abs.

09/05/2017

That leg workout was disgusting. Probably shouldn't have skated around so much before hand. Also didn't realise I had 40kg on the bar so I ended up doing a mini set with 40kg on the bicep curls lol.

Weighted chin ups (27.5kg x 5), (25kg x 6), (22.5kg x 5), (20kg x 3), ( bodyweight x 3)
one leg dumbel squat (30kg x 5), (26kg x 8), (22kg x 6), (22kg x 7)
barbell bicep curl (40kg x 2), (30kg x 12), (30kg x 12), (30kg x10)
bent over fly (10kg x 8), (10kg x 10), (10kg x 9)

11/05/2017

Incline Dumbell Press (35kg x 6), (35kg x 5), (32kg x 4), (30kg x 5)
Standing overhead press (47.5kg x 7), (45kg x 8), (42.5kg x 8)
Side lateral raise (9kg x 9), (9kg x 7), (9kg x 7)
skulll crusher (32.5kg x 6), (30kg x 8), (30kg x 11)

13/05/2017

weighted chin up (30kg x 5), (25kg x 6), (20kg x 5), (10kg x 3)
one leg dumbel squat (32kg x 5), (28kg x 6), (22kg x 8)
barbell curls for the girls (32.5kg x 12), (32.5kg x 10), (32.5kg x 8)
bent over fly (10kg x 10), (10kg x 8), (10kg x 10)
______________________________________________________________________________________________

15/05/2017

Incline Dumbell Press (35kg x 7), (35kg x 5), (32kg x 5), (30kg x 5), (32kg x 2), (30kg x 3)
Standing overhead press (50kg x5), (47.5kg x 6), (45kg x 6), (40kg x 5)
Side lateral raise (9kg x 10), (9kg x 7), (8kg x 9)
skulll crusher (32.5kg x 12), (32.5kg x 7), (32.5kg x 8)
______________________________________________________________________________________________

17/05/2017

weighted chin up (32.5kg x 5), (27.5kg x 6), (22.5kg x 7)
one leg dumbel squat (32kg x 5), (28kg x 6), (22kg x 8)
barbell curls for the girls (32.5kg x 12), (32.5kg x 10), (32.5kg x 8)
side lateral raise (9kg x 12) - did the wrong exercise lol -
bent over fly (10kg x 7), (10kg x 12), (10kg x 10)

Decided I'm going to switch up my exercises tomorrow so I'm doing some less dangerous ones. Starting to get joint pain lol. The weights will probably get lighter :tongue:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

19/05/2017

idk the names of the exercises I did. Just gonna make some up lol. Using cable machine for shoulders and triceps now because it keeps more tension on the muscles and doesn't **** up the joints as much.

Incline Dumbell Press (35kg x 5), (32kg x 7), (32kg x 6), (32kg x 2), (30kg x 6), (28kg x 2)
Standing overhead press (52.5kg x5), (50kg x 6), (47.5kg x 7)
tricep cable extension (15kg x 15), (20kg x 15), (25kg x 9), (22.5kg x 6)
rear delt cable fly (5kg x 12), (5kg x 12), (5kg x 10)
cable lateral raise ( 3.75kg x 5)
+shitloads of ab stuff

20/05/2017

Did loads more core stuff
___________________________________________________________________________________________

21/05/2017

wasn't too sure what to do for the last exercise since I did loads of shoulder stuff yesterday and the day before. did some deadlifts so I could get more core training in. Going to think of a new routine soon. Getting bored of some of these workouts. Going to switch from chinup to pullup for sure, now that I'm doing chinups with 1.5x my bodyweight.

weighted chin up (35kg x 3), (35kg x 2), (30kg x 4), (20kg x 6), (20kg x 2)
one leg squat (35kg x 3), (35kg x 2), (28kg x 6), (22kg x 8)
barbell curls (32.5kg x 12), (32.5kg x 12), (32.5kg x 7)
deadlifts (100kg x 6), (140kg x 1), (120kg x 3)
___________________________________________________________________________________________
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
Holy :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: I joined the gym today and I am SO WEAK.

I didn't start my actual routine yet. I just messed about on the gym rings and pullup bar for a bit and went home. Could only do 5 pullups before failure :s-smilie:
Before I started smoking my gains away I was doing 40kg+ pullups for reps with good form.

Whatever though the real workout starts tomorrow morning. Should take me 3 weeks to get back to normal I reckon.

If your telling the truth then you're ridiculously freaking strong. How have you lost so much strength in such a short space of time?

EDIT : tbf I don't know how long you've been out of the game, but that pull up stat made me, how do the bros say it, mirin hard? :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh god. I feel for you so bad. Whenever I (think) my body even regresses slightly I get really paranoid. But the bottom line is, you did this to yourself and now you have to fix it. Although, the diet required to make gains at uni is so expensive for a student but not an excuse to stop eating. Buy tinned tuna and cook chicken breast.

Oh and stop smoking weed straight away. It's doing nothing for you bro.

You have to get lows to get to the highs in life. Keep practicing mate and it will all be smooth in no time!
Reply 5
Original post by TheFarmerLad
If your telling the truth then you're ridiculously freaking strong. How have you lost so much strength in such a short space of time?

Bruh I literally smoked weed non stop for 1-2 months in my university room playing video games and doing :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: all. As soon as I started smoking I got weaker in the gym and then I stopped going to the gym all together and no lifed in my room.

I was eating 1 footlong chicken sub + a few cookies once every 2 days because too lazy to feed myself. Pretty much just abused my body.
This is quite entertaining - imma be preeing this on the regular ✌
Reply 7
I mean I smoked so much my teeth went yellow and I had a sore throat all the time. Quite bad lol.

Original post by BioStudentx
Oh god. I feel for you so bad. Whenever I (think) my body even regresses slightly I get really paranoid. But the bottom line is, you did this to yourself and now you have to fix it. Although, the diet required to make gains at uni is so expensive for a student but not an excuse to stop eating. Buy tinned tuna and cook chicken breast.

Oh and stop smoking weed straight away. It's doing nothing for you bro.

ye I've quit it now. I live with my parents atm and I've got no access to weed for the next 10 months pretty much.

Like for real though I actually have the body of a teenager now I'm so skinny lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TheFarmerLad

EDIT : tbf I don't know how long you've been out of the game, but that pull up stat made me, how do the bros say it, mirin hard? :biggrin:

40 isn't ridiculous to be fair especially if grip's more supinated, it's pretty good though.

In OP, look forward to reading :smile: @UchihaMadara
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Sae.HH
40 isn't ridiculous to be fair especially if grip's more supinated, it's pretty good though.

ye and I absolutely bum the pullup bar and bodyweight exercises in general. I like functional movements.

I used to be able to do horizontal planks while hanging off the pullup bar as well.
Reply 10
ye and I absolutely bum the pullup bar and bodyweight exercises in general. I like functional movements.

I used to be able to do horizontal planks while hanging off the pullup bar as well.

Yeah I'm a fan of BW exercises, I can do 25kg chins for a triple as a PR which is my max.

Ooo Front Levers, yeah I can do those now, very recently managed to get em. They're a lot of fun for sure, windshield wipers too. :biggrin:
Original post by Sae.HH

does this guy even squat bench or deadlift....i don't wanna hear no pull up stuff LOL
Original post by UchihaMadara
does this guy even squat bench or deadlift....i don't wanna hear no pull up stuff LOL

I skip leg days alot haha.

But I could bench over 1.5x my bodyweight before I started smoking. Which is pretty standard.

Why are there so many haters around here? You insecure? lol
(edited 6 years ago)
I skip leg days alot haha.

But I can bench over 1.5x my bodyweight. Which is pretty standard.

Why are there so many haters around here? You insecure? lol

I ain't insecure but you sure sound like you are.

I like that fact your cleaning up and hitting the gym...and the bench thing sounds good - P.S. not pretty standard unless your like 40kg lol.

I was just replying to my boy and stating MY preference, get over it.
I ain't insecure but you sure sound like you are.

I like that fact your cleaning up and hitting the gym...and the bench thing sounds good - P.S. not pretty standard unless your like 40kg lol.

I was just replying to my boy and stating MY preference, get over it.

Maybe. Not insecure about the gym though.

np.
Maybe. Not insecure about the gym though.

np.

what is there to be insecure about the gym lol....y'all finished or y'all dun, i aint go no mo talkin
Lost all my gains being a lazy stoner and not feeding myself at uni, literally eating one subway sandwich and some cookies every other day and just generally being self destructive (atleast I'm starting out skinny which is better than starting fat imo, and muscle memory etc.). On a gap yah now though and have all the time in the world to do what I love the most.

Going for an every other day routine and 4-5 exercises each workout. usually when I have this much free time I train almost everyday and go absolutely crazy training whatever doesn't hurt just cus it's so addictive to me. But it's pretty unhealthy and I actually need to become a badass artist (which takes time) before I go back to uni so gonna test out the minimilast training route now. And see how it goes.

Might post rollerskating vids as well because I'm trying to get to a level thats youtube worthy.

Dunno if I'll post a before pic because it's just an embarassment. I feel disgusted with myself when I look in the mirror and see how far I've fallen lmao.

edit: oh ye i prob made this in the wrong section. If theres a fitness blog section you can move it there lol.

Haven't abandoned this btw. Just waiting until I have my gym membership. Got an appointment tomorrow. I had an appointment to join today but I didn't leave my house because I wasn't feeling well.

Mate, some advice please.

I will be taking a gap year starting June and gainz is at the top of my list. I currently started the gym but i'm pretty weak and skinny. Like I can only bench 30kg rn. Same with squats and deadlifts and all. HELP BRO
Original post by gapyearlads

I will be taking a gap year starting June and gainz is at the top of my list. I currently started the gym but i'm pretty weak and skinny. Like I can only bench 30kg rn. Same with squats and deadlifts and all. HELP BRO

Well I can't really give you squatting and deadlift advice because my squats are disgustingly bad. (Mostly because I can't be arsed more than anything else. That exercise makes me dizzy) And I can only deadlift 140kg. Most of my friends DL way more than me. And I don't think I've even nailed the form yet. I hate training legs lmao.

(btw I'm trying out a new training style in this blog idk if it will work yet. I bought the kinobody greek god program to try it out)

I can give you bench pressing and pullups advice though. Those are really easy exercises to progress in.

IMO when you're a beginner you should start with a weight that you're not struggling with at all so you can get used to doing the correct form. If you can do over 12 reps with perfect form thats good. (if you're doing 15+ thats kinda too light though, do pick a weight where you can actually feel your chest working). when you're benching make sure your shoulder blades are touching the bench and your chest is sticking out and that you can feel your chest being squeezed and doing work when you push the bar. If you feel your arms doing too much of the work your form is bad and you're not going to get anything out of the exercise.

The other important thing is that you increase the weight every workout. Starting off light will make sure you don't go up in weight too fast and plateua for ages. Increase the weight by the smallest plates you can find each time. Slow and steady wins the race lol.

You can try out the training method I'm doing here as well if you want, after you've made some progress. I'm doing reverse pyramid training. I try to do my sets like this

First set is the heaviest. And I try to get 8 reps. Then I decrease the weight by 10% on the next set and 10% again on the next. Following Kinobody's program from youtube. Seems good to me but I'll find out if it works well or not in a month. But ye it's a different training method to the one I just told you. It would probably be harder for you maybe if you don't have that much gym experience. More likely to injure yourself doing your heaviest set first etc.

^ This is basically strength + hypertrophy training.

With the 'smaller' exercises like tricep cable pulldowns. It's less important to increase the weight every week. Because you're only working out small groups of muscles. With those exercises you should keep doing them until you can do 3 sets of 12. Then increase the weight slightly and stay on that weight till you can do 3 sets of 12 again.

Btw this is just my opinion and the way I train. If you want to look like me or like the kind of exercises I do. Theres loads of different training methods.

Also for pullups. I mess about on the pullup bar so much I don't really have a strict way of training with it lol. I do so many back exercises because I like acrobatic stuff.

Once you can do 10 pullups bring a back pack to the gym and start putting weights inside it and keep putting more weight in the bag every time. I find this exercise so easy to make progress in should be self explanatory lol. Bent over barbell rows are really great as well for making your back strong as fek and huge. I do them underhand grip. Make sure you stick your chest out when you do them and try to squeeze your back muscles together and pull the bar to your belly button.

Keep doing all the heavy compound movements that use multiple muscle groups.

soz if my post is hard to follow. Kinda typed the paragraphs in random orders lol.

Generic advice for every exercise: make sure you pick a weight you can lift with perfect form but can't lift heavier more than 12 reps. If it's a heavy compound movement, increase the weight by a tiny amount each work out.

Oh also if you want to get stronger. 5 sets of 5 reps is strength training. And 3 sets of 12 reps is for getting bigger muscles.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gapyearlads

Also I can't stress how important it is to not lift tooooooooooooo heavy. If you let your ego get in the way and you lift weights with crap form you slow down your progress to a stand still. You make no gains lol.

Drink loads of protein shakes or eat loads of eggs as well. And sleep early every night.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
what is there to be insecure about the gym lol....y'all finished or y'all dun, i aint go no mo talkin

LOOOL how did you get 2 reps aswell :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest