Stress and Indecisiveness with my course

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This may sound a bit bizarre but I`m really stressing out over my indecisiveness to pick what to do on my course at Uni. I`m studying History (second-year) and haven`t had the best of years to put it mildly at uni but my main problem is that for our 3rd year dissertation we have to pick 3 areas of interest in a form by May, these have to be areas that have some originality as well its not as simple as picking anything. Nevertheless its kind of dawned on me the last few weeks that not really anything in history particularly interests me, I`ve completed modules which I`ve enjoyed but its easy when you have optional ones to just pick and choose which one you prefer but when it comes to picking something from a blank slate I`m really struggling.

I`m tempted to contact a tutor at uni but I`m worried it will look a bit stupid basically admitting that I`m studying history but am not interesting in anything. Everyone else in my year seems to be fine with specific interests (gender politics, Richard III and stuff like that). I`m just really stressing out as I need to do this form and I`m struggling to do this, not through laziness as I`ve been doing reading to look for possible stuff but just can`t find 3 areas I`m really interested in.

(I wasn`t sure where to post this thread but put it here anyway).
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This may sound a bit bizarre but I`m really stressing out over my indecisiveness to pick what to do on my course at Uni. I`m studying History (second-year) and haven`t had the best of years to put it mildly at uni but my main problem is that for our 3rd year dissertation we have to pick 3 areas of interest in a form by May, these have to be areas that have some originality as well its not as simple as picking anything. Nevertheless its kind of dawned on me the last few weeks that not really anything in history particularly interests me, I`ve completed modules which I`ve enjoyed but its easy when you have optional ones to just pick and choose which one you prefer but when it comes to picking something from a blank slate I`m really struggling.

I`m tempted to contact a tutor at uni but I`m worried it will look a bit stupid basically admitting that I`m studying history but am not interesting in anything. Everyone else in my year seems to be fine with specific interests (gender politics, Richard III and stuff like that). I`m just really stressing out as I need to do this form and I`m struggling to do this, not through laziness as I`ve been doing reading to look for possible stuff but just can`t find 3 areas I`m really interested in.

(I wasn`t sure where to post this thread but put it here anyway).

firstly, I'm only in year 13 so I don't know what uni is like or anything yet but this definitely sounds like a situation I definitely could see myself being in in a couple of years!
contacting a tutor seems like a sensible thing to do (to me at least anyway but I guess I don't have the independence of a uni student yet and still rely on teachers a lot in sixth form?) hopefully they can appreciate that giving you complete freedom can make it really difficult to choose a few specific areas - as you said its not that you're not looking and can't find anything, you are trying... perhaps they would be able to recommend or give you some guidance with your reading if nothing else? I don't know though haha

I hope you find something
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.37%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.42%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.81%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
42.25%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.02%

Watched Threads