The Student Room Group

Are there target Unis for consultancy firms

Hey guys,

I've been doing my research and can't seem to get a definite answer on whether or not consultancy e.g. Big 4 or say McKinsey, Bain, BCG have target unis to recruit from.

If so what are they?

Thanks !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I believe Oxbridge and LSE are predominately targets. Beyond that, I think Warwick, UCL and Imperial are somewhat decent too but all 3 pale in comparison to oxbridge and LSE.
Original post by JustPadz
Hey guys,

I've been doing my research and can't seem to get a definite answer on whether or not consultancy e.g. Big 4 or say McKinsey, Bain, BCG have target unis to recruit from.

If so what are they?

Thanks !

MBB and other strat houses are predominantly Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial, those are what I'd say are the "targets".

After that some slew of Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Bath, KCL etc is usually represented in smaller numbers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and Imperial.

Strong targets in this field.
Original post by Foxab77
Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and Imperial.

Strong targets in this field.

Warwick isn't really a "strong target" based on what I've analysed/seen numbers wise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
Warwick isn't really a "strong target" based on what I've analysed/seen numbers wise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

- -
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anecdotal, but I'm studying in the Maths dept at Warwick (MORSE), and hold an OC&C offer for summer, but I chose to decline it because I had an offer from an investment firm. I know a lot of people at Warwick in my situation, who've bagged top consulting firms but they'd rather go into finance...

Though, at WBS (the business school of Warwick), those guys seem to get a lot of consulting offers and they mostly accept it over finance/banking.

It depends on what you want tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Oxbridge
maybe.
Original post by Foxab77
Anecdotal, but I'm studying in the Maths dept at Warwick (MORSE), and hold an OC&C offer for summer, but I chose to decline it because I had an offer from an investment firm. I know a lot of people at Warwick in my situation, who've bagged top consulting firms but they'd rather go into finance...

Though, at WBS (the business school of Warwick), those guys seem to get a lot of consulting offers and they mostly accept it over finance/banking.

Yeah I mean I didn't say Warwick wasn't represented nor do people there land gigs, they certainly do every year. But the implication of *strong target* for consulting means a majority (numbers wise). The majority of consulting classes come from Oxb/LSE/Imp.

People from all sorts of usual suspects (Warwick, Bath, Bristol, UCL etc) land consulting offers, ofc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I mean I didn't say Warwick wasn't represented nor do people there land gigs, they certainly do every year. But the implication of *strong target* for consulting means a majority (numbers wise). The majority of consulting classes come from Oxb/LSE/Imp.

People from all sorts of usual suspects (Warwick, Bath, Bristol, UCL etc) land consulting offers, ofc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Btw are you coming to Warwick for your second year? Awais was telling me you were reapplying to unis
Original post by Foxab77
Btw are you coming to Warwick for your second year? Awais was telling me you were reapplying to unis

Nah, restarting at Exeter

Ah fair. Congrats is in order.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foxab77
Ah fair. Congrats is in order.

Cheers dude :smile:

same degree? Also you joining as a fresher or 2nd year? Nicely done anyhow; good to have everything sorted and finalised :smile:
Original post by Foxab77

Can confirm a large proportion of people at wbs prefer the consulting route. overall tho, within wbs, its finance or consulting - hardly anyone applies for anything else

i do a+f there btw
Original post by tazza ma razza
Can confirm a large proportion of people at wbs prefer the consulting route. overall tho, within wbs, its finance or consulting - hardly anyone applies for anything else

i do a+f there btw

Oh nice, I'm on campus now haha. Are you part of QIG? I recently joined the quant division...

But they want me to do some work for it over summer, and that's when I'm doing my internship at BR :frown: :'(.
Original post by Foxab77
Oh nice, I'm on campus now haha. Are you part of QIG? I recently joined the quant division...

But they want me to do some work for it over summer, and that's when I'm doing my internship at BR :frown: :'(.

Oh swear? Nice! lmao yh man, I know the founder; he's a G. I should have a position doing research but they open in term 3 he said.

ahhh no! that's unfortunate but tbf i'm sure he'll understand
Original post by tazza ma razza
same degree? Also you joining as a fresher or 2nd year? Nicely done anyhow; good to have everything sorted and finalised :smile:

Yeah same degree and will be a fresher again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Yeah same degree and will be a fresher again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it a Bsc or Msci? Congratulation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending