The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot Entry

I have recently taken flying lessons and am considering joining the RAF as a pilot.

However I have two issues:
1) I am a tall guy (6ft 3in - roughly) - too tall to fly fast jets?

2) I have always owned an inhaler, but have only ever had to use it for alergies
(dust mites). Although I have an asthma inhaler, I don't actually have asthma.
In addition, I haven't had an attack since I was 9 years old and used my inhaler in at least 5 years.
I know that with any history of asthma, you are unable to join the RAF as a pilot.
Is owning an inhaler included in this?

Thanks,
Callum
Reply 1
Original post by BuckersHD
However I have two issues:
1) I am a tall guy (6ft 3in - roughly) - too tall to fly fast jets?

Impossible to tell. It's about proportions, not height. I had a friend who is 6'4 and was told no and another friend who is 6'5 and was told yes.

Only the RAF can measure you, only they can say whether you'd fit.

2) I have always owned an inhaler, but have only ever had to use it for alergies
(dust mites). Although I have an asthma inhaler, I don't actually have asthma.
In addition, I haven't had an attack since I was 9 years old and used my inhaler in at least 5 years.
I know that with any history of asthma, you are unable to join the RAF as a pilot.
Is owning an inhaler included in this?

If it's been prescribed, and recently, then you'll have issues with this. You say you don't have asthma, but if your medical records don't match this, then you're in for a fight. Find out for certain from your doctor what your background is from their point of view - not what you think, but what they have documented. This is what the medical assessment will go off.

Quick Reply

Latest