I don't think uni is right for me but maybe I need to toughen up? Watch

curlywurly99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I already have offers from all of my universities, I won't accept or firm either of them until I'm 100% sure i want to go to uni. If I did, I would study Classical Civilisation & Literature in the UK and try and gain a work placement or internship at a law firm and after finishing my degree, go on to work for a law firm. However, being in college and doing my a levels have caused me to develop anxiety (I've been going to get a diagnosis, I'll know for sure if it is anxiety or perhaps something else or just exam stress) and I can't seem to concerntrate on my work nor have I ever actually managed to concentrate on my work for any long periods of time. I've been advised to take a gap year by friends but I've heard from those who actually have taken one that they lost a lot of acaemdic motivation to go back to study and I'm 95% sure that the same will happen to me. I have thought about an apprenticeship but there seems to be almost none that are available to me to be in law and become a soliciter and they all seem to be targeted for those leaving high school and not college. It may seem as though going to uni is the only real option I have but is it worth risking my mental health? Taking anti-depressants (I have in the past and stopped taking them when I was around 14) were pretty much the worst thing ever, it didn't make me feel depressed but it made me feel completely empty and that's a terrible feeling. And I'm worried it's just going to cause me more anxiety if I attend university so idk if maybe I should look for another place in the UK to find an apprenticeship or just take the gap year?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by curlywurly99)
I already have offers from all of my universities, I won't accept or firm either of them until I'm 100% sure i want to go to uni. If I did, I would study Classical Civilisation & Literature in the UK and try and gain a work placement or internship at a law firm and after finishing my degree, go on to work for a law firm. However, being in college and doing my a levels have caused me to develop anxiety (I've been going to get a diagnosis, I'll know for sure if it is anxiety or perhaps something else or just exam stress) and I can't seem to concerntrate on my work nor have I ever actually managed to concentrate on my work for any long periods of time. I've been advised to take a gap year by friends but I've heard from those who actually have taken one that they lost a lot of acaemdic motivation to go back to study and I'm 95% sure that the same will happen to me. I have thought about an apprenticeship but there seems to be almost none that are available to me to be in law and become a soliciter and they all seem to be targeted for those leaving high school and not college. It may seem as though going to uni is the only real option I have but is it worth risking my mental health? Taking anti-depressants (I have in the past and stopped taking them when I was around 14) were pretty much the worst thing ever, it didn't make me feel depressed but it made me feel completely empty and that's a terrible feeling. And I'm worried it's just going to cause me more anxiety if I attend university so idk if maybe I should look for another place in the UK to find an apprenticeship or just take the gap year?
If you took your gap year, what would you do with it? If you didn't end up going to uni, what would you end up doing instead? To me, it doesn't really sound like you want to go to uni. Have you talked to your tutor at college?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Trailblazer Solicitor Apprenticeships are targeted at A-level leavers. Paralegal Apprenticeships are targeted at anyone.

If you're interested in law why are you applying for classics and not law anyway? Also working as a solicitor will almost certainly be more stressful than academic studies (in whatever) at least at the beginning of your career so perhaps focus on understanding what is causing your anxiety and developing coping mechanisms to deal with it (which may involve seeking advice or help from medical professionals) as it's likely this will cause issues no matter what direction you go in.

It's worth noting the former apprenticeships have closed for applications and will reopen later this year; there are actually quite a few but be prepared to move if you're serious about it. They're also quite competitive as I understand. The latter will vary a lot depending on location and so on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (107)
66.46%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.5%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.04%

Watched Threads