The Student Room Group

Should I switch Unis?

I am currently at the Uni of Surrey, and whilst I'm enjoying it I haven't found any close friends I really click with. I also really don't like the town as its cramped and uninteresting and the nightlife is really bad and the nightlife is an important aspect for me! I've started to realise that I should've gone to the Uni of Sussex. The location is amazing, nightlife is incredible and I feel like the people who go there are the type of people I'd click with.

I'm in my first year, coming up to my exams after easter, and I'm not sure whether I should switch Uni's to Sussex. They do accept 2nd year transfers. Only thing is I would have to find a house quickly with people who I don't really know. But it might be worth it to have a more enjoyable time at Uni.

Should I change Unis or is it not worth it?
Original post by laurieidk
I am currently at the Uni of Surrey, and whilst I'm enjoying it I haven't found any close friends I really click with. I also really don't like the town as its cramped and uninteresting and the nightlife is really bad and the nightlife is an important aspect for me! I've started to realise that I should've gone to the Uni of Sussex. The location is amazing, nightlife is incredible and I feel like the people who go there are the type of people I'd click with.

I'm in my first year, coming up to my exams after easter, and I'm not sure whether I should switch Uni's to Sussex. They do accept 2nd year transfers. Only thing is I would have to find a house quickly with people who I don't really know. But it might be worth it to have a more enjoyable time at Uni.

It is worth checking it out with admin staff at both unis tbh. also if you do go through with it, you have to make sure it doesn't affect your student finances (so ceck with them I guess but be warned, student finance are absolute idiots)
Reply 2
Be careful
You've come to Uni to get a degree, as opposed to go out clubbing every night ?
I'd suggest joining some new societies to try and meet new people and go along to their socials in order to have a more active social life. Although you may not go out clubbing as much as people at other unis it doesn't mean you can't do other enjoyable things.
Reply 3

In terms of housing you could either get a place in halls or try and find a spare room and trust me there's always places with spare rooms as people drop out ect. My own uni now for instance still has people posting on Facebook about spare rooms going so don't worry about that side of things

Hi,
I understand it must be very tricky to decide if you want to stay in a place where you feel you haven't made any close friends or move to a new university. As a final year student,I can tell you first year is always very hard, its a new journey and you are in a new environment. However, i made my best friends in my second year, really started to like the city and enjoy my course and learn more about myself. I would also ask you think a bit more about the course itself and the modules you are doing and what you will be doing if you move. That is very important because you want to do modules that you enjoy and challenge you.

I think one way to find out is by visiting Sussex on a normal day and exploring the town and where students tend to live as well as visiting lecture halls and buildings and also attending a lecture. You can easily find information about the locations and lectures on the website. This would really help you to understand if moving is worth it.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I understand it must be very tricky to decide if you want to stay in a place where you feel you haven't made any close friends or move to a new university. As a final year student,I can tell you first year is always very hard, its a new journey and you are in a new environment. However, i made my best friends in my second year, really started to like the city and enjoy my course and learn more about myself. I would also ask you think a bit more about the course itself and the modules you are doing and what you will be doing if you move. That is very important because you want to do modules that you enjoy and challenge you.

I think one way to find out is by visiting Sussex on a normal day and exploring the town and where students tend to live as well as visiting lecture halls and buildings and also attending a lecture. You can easily find information about the locations and lectures on the website. This would really help you to understand if moving is worth it.

Can I ask how did you make your best friends in 2nd year? Was it through your course/societies or housing and how come you didn't make them in 1st?

You need to apply and get an offer for Yr 2 entry at Sussex before you even start deciding whether you actually WANT to transfer.

Ring sussex today and find out if they'll accept late applications for yr 2 entry for your course. If they will then get your UCAS application together ASAP and speak to your tutor at Surrey about providing a reference (you don't have to commit to leaving to get a reference - just explain that you're not 100% happy and would like to apply to Sussex to see if they'll accept you before deciding whether to stay on your current course or not).

If you get an offer then you've then got all summer to make the decision about whether to take up that place or not - accepting the offer on UCAS doesn't commit you withdrawing from your Surrey course so you can even decide based on whether you can find suitable accommodation at either university for next year before you make anything absolutely certain.

Until you make an application and get an offer though then all of this is just pie in the sky "what if" thinking.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
You need to apply and get an offer for Yr 2 entry at Sussex before you even start deciding whether you actually WANT to transfer.

Ring sussex today and find out if they'll accept late applications for yr 2 entry for your course. If they will then get your UCAS application together ASAP and speak to your tutor at Surrey about providing a reference (you don't have to commit to leaving to get a reference - just explain that you're not 100% happy and would like to apply to Sussex to see if they'll accept you before deciding whether to stay on your current course or not).

If you get an offer then you've then got all summer to make the decision about whether to take up that place or not - accepting the offer on UCAS doesn't commit you withdrawing from your Surrey course so you can even decide based on whether you can find suitable accommodation at either university for next year before you make anything absolutely certain.

Until you make an application and get an offer though then all of this is just pie in the sky "what if" thinking.

Very helpful reply. I have already secured a contract for housing in Surrey for next year, so it would involve having to find a 6th person to replace me. I feel like this wouldn't be too difficult as many people are looking for housing spaces all over facebook. Do you think it is still worth transferring to Sussex even though I'd have to pull out of this contract?
Very helpful reply. I have already secured a contract for housing in Surrey for next year, so it would involve having to find a 6th person to replace me. I feel like this wouldn't be too difficult as many people are looking for housing spaces all over facebook. Do you think it is still worth transferring to Sussex even though I'd have to pull out of this contract?

Like I say - I think it's worth APPLYING to Sussex and then if you get an offer looking again at what moving would mean and if you'd be happy with that over the summer.

Tying yourself in knots at the moment over a hypothetical move is a waste of your efforts. Focus on applying and getting the offer....then you'll have 3/4 months over the summer to decide if it's the right thing to take up the place at Sussex or stay at Surrey.

As you say it's a lot easier than anyone understands to sort out accommodation in a shared house (both to find someone looking for a room and to find a room elsewhere).
Can I ask how did you make your best friends in 2nd year? Was it through your course/societies or housing and how come you didn't make them in 1st?

In my second year, i started doing more things within university, engaging more in societies, applying for things like student ambassadorship etc. I also started engaging more with my course mates beyond seminars and lectures. I went for coffees and lunches and study sessions with my friends at library and this really helped to bond beyond the lectures. In my second year i lived with my flatmates from first year as i didn't really know anyone else.

I was very shy in my first year and i found first year really hard. I was very confused and overwhelmed by the work. I used to go for classes and then return back to the accommodation. I was very much in the process of figuring out university academic work, making friends, staying on budget and it was all very overwhelming.
Original post by Anonymous
In my second year, i started doing more things within university, engaging more in societies, applying for things like student ambassadorship etc. I also started engaging more with my course mates beyond seminars and lectures. I went for coffees and lunches and study sessions with my friends at library and this really helped to bond beyond the lectures. In my second year i lived with my flatmates from first year as i didn't really know anyone else.

I was very shy in my first year and i found first year really hard. I was very confused and overwhelmed by the work. I used to go for classes and then return back to the accommodation. I was very much in the process of figuring out university academic work, making friends, staying on budget and it was all very overwhelming.

Can I just say it's refreshing to know someone else felt the same way as i am feeling now in terms of first year. I've found the jump between school and degree level work really challenging and trying to make friends ect has been especially difficult and stressful. It's good to know someone else had a similar experience but things improved ; I hope the same will happen in my case
Original post by fefssdf
Can I just say it's refreshing to know someone else felt the same way as i am feeling now in terms of first year. I've found the jump between school and degree level work really challenging and trying to make friends ect has been especially difficult and stressful. It's good to know someone else had a similar experience but things improved ; I hope the same will happen in my case

I am sure it will.
Figuring out things in university and learning to know yourself is itself a huge process. By the end of university you will be a different or changed person. I think of university as a challenge, where i have to get better as a person with my personal perspectives as well with my academic and professional skills. It has changed me so much personally and academically. A simple thing like holding a small talk with a stranger itself is a huge starting point, where you are able to build key communication skills that will help you both in personal and professional life and these skills will be the stepping stone for you to gain more skills in university, which will translate into your CV and later into your internship. I think of university as a place where i have had to learn what i want in life with absolute freedom and no one telling me what to do. So, I had the chance to do nothing and lie in bed and binge watch TV everyday and just go through uni or challenge myself to be a better person and that's what i did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest