The Student Room Group

Mainland British opinion of Northern Ireland

I live in Northern Ireland, I have done so all of my life. The short history of this 6 county state is one of violence and division along political lines. Essentially, my question is thus: What do those of you, on mainland Britain think about Northern Ireland and those Northern Irish people who identify as British?

Scroll to see replies

If the Irish want N Ireland back then meh, I could not care less about N. Ireland and the funny speaking people that reside there. I find it amusing how N.irishers are so desperate to identify as being British when most english people like myself could not give two shits
Reply 2
You are going to get nowhere in life so there is no point bothering to try and get to where you want to be in life. Stop! Just Stop!
Reply 3
Original post by Flashing Planet
If the Irish want N Ireland back then meh, I could not care less about N. Ireland and the funny speaking people that reside there. I find it amusing how N.irishers are so desperate to identify as being British when most english people like myself could not give two shits

I must say i agree with you. it seems to me that the only people who think that the Northern Irish are British are those whom identify as British in Northern Ireland.
Reply 4
Original post by Ben Horne
You are going to get nowhere in life so there is no point bothering to try and get to where you want to be in life. Stop! Just Stop!

???
Reply 5
Original post by CPW2016
I live in Northern Ireland, I have done so all of my life. The short history of this 6 county state is one of violence and division along political lines. Essentially, my question is thus: What do those of you, on mainland Britain think about Northern Ireland and those Northern Irish people who identify as British?

Most people on the mainland care or think very little about N Ireland or N Irish people. Except that they have a strange and interesting accent...

They care even less about whether those people identify as British or Irish or other. It just doesn't matter to them.

With that in mind I'd encourage you to broaden your own horizons beyond the Province and try living* elsewhere; Ireland, mainland, anywhere... i think it might do you good :smile:

*Often the first realistic opportunity Northern Irish people have to do this is when they go to university. If that's a possibility for you I'd recommend you take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone I have met from Northern Ireland is a drunk or drug user. I can see why the region is so poor.
Reply 7
Ignore what people on here are saying. Ireland plays a big part in our history it was regretful to see most of it go, im glad NI stuck with the British identity. I think you're just as British as someone from England or the island of Great Britain. Irish people (republic) are more British than they like to think, at least people from NI are proud of it!
Reply 8
Northern Ireland = British
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
Most people on the mainland care or think very little about N Ireland or N Irish people. Except that they have a strange and interesting accent...

They care even less about whether those people identify as British or Irish or other. It just doesn't matter to them.

With that in mind I'd encourage you to broaden your own horizons beyond the Province and try living* elsewhere; Ireland, mainland, anywhere... i think it might do you good :smile:

*Often the first realistic opportunity Northern Irish people have to do this is when they go to university. If that's a possibility for you I'd recommend you take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i appreciate the life advice but i assure you my prospects on this Island are good if i do decide to remain. Do you have a justification for saying that "Often the first realistic opportunity Northern Irish people have to do this is when they go to university."?
Reply 10
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
Everyone I have met from Northern Ireland is a drunk or drug user. I can see why the region is so poor.

haha, i cant understand you my friend. I'm currently drunk
Original post by CPW2016

Obviously Northern Ireland isn't regarded as too important, as a nation with 2 million inhabitants relative to one with 60 million. They're not 'British', but they are part of the UK (actually, what do they do in the Olympics? Compete under Great Britain, Ireland or independently??)- then again, it doesn't harm anyone if they do want to identify as British. I personally sympathise with them a bit over being dragged out of the EU.
Original post by Cognition!
Obviously Northern Ireland isn't regarded as too important, as a nation with 2 million inhabitants relative to one with 60 million. They're not 'British', but they are part of the UK (actually, what do they do in the Olympics? Compete under Great Britain, Ireland or independently??)- then again, it doesn't harm anyone if they do want to identify as British. I personally sympathise with them a bit over being dragged out of the EU.

Northern Irish athletes can choose to represent either Britain or Ireland as they wish.
Reply 13
Original post by zayn008
Ignore what people on here are saying. Ireland plays a big part in our history it was regretful to see most of it go, im glad NI stuck with the British identity. I think you're just as British as someone from England or the island of Great Britain. Irish people (republic) are more British than they like to think, at least people from NI are proud of it!

You say Irish people from the republic are more British than they like to think. Have you ever crossed the Irish sea? The culture in Ireland is drastically different than the rest of the UK. I think your statement has as much merit as saying the British are more Danish than they like to think.
Reply 14
Original post by joecphillips
Northern Ireland = British

I gather we both live on the same island?
Reply 15
Original post by CPW2016
i appreciate the life advice but i assure you my prospects on this Island are good if i do decide to remain. Do you have a justification for saying that "Often the first realistic opportunity Northern Irish people have to do this is when they go to university."?

Because that's when you first start to live independently. It's when I left the Province, and haven't been back (much).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by CPW2016
You say Irish people from the republic are more British than they like to think. Have you ever crossed the Irish sea? The culture in Ireland is drastically different than the rest of the UK. I think your statement has as much merit as saying the British are more Danish than they like to think.

If you were to think of it in terms of immigration, Irish people would be the least foreign to British people and British people would be the least foreign to Irish people. We share more than what differs us. Your remark about danish is just silly.. they don't even talk English.
Original post by CPW2016

they are a bit weird but harmless. just let them get on with it.
Reply 18
Original post by zayn008
If you were to think of it in terms of immigration, Irish people would be the least foreign to British people and British people would be the least foreign to Irish people. We share more than what differs us. Your remark about danish is just silly.. they don't even talk English.

The danish remark was slightly facetious i know
Reply 19
Original post by the bear
they are a bit weird but harmless. just let them get on with it.

A bit weird? haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending