The Student Room Group

AS Psychology: Research?

Hi all, revising for my AS exams and just wondering if anybody knows how much of the research we have to remember for the aqa psychology exams? I know the main research such as Zimbardo and Milgram is obviously key to revise, but I'm looking through my textbook at the Memory module and there is SO much research backing up each component of the memory models and a lot of research in the Eye Witness Testimony section too - most of it i haven't been taught!? Any year 2s or people with knowledge on the exam know if we need to know it all? I'm panicking a bit having left revision so late, & my teacher left half way through the year so I don't really have anybody to ask.
Thank you!
H :-)
Original post by helly99
Hi all, revising for my AS exams and just wondering if anybody knows how much of the research we have to remember for the aqa psychology exams? I know the main research such as Zimbardo and Milgram is obviously key to revise, but I'm looking through my textbook at the Memory module and there is SO much research backing up each component of the memory models and a lot of research in the Eye Witness Testimony section too - most of it i haven't been taught!? Any year 2s or people with knowledge on the exam know if we need to know it all? I'm panicking a bit having left revision so late, & my teacher left half way through the year so I don't really have anybody to ask.
Thank you!
H :-)

Basically, if it's its own study with its own evaluation, then you need to know enough for a 12 marker (including the evaluation) which is mostly things in the social and attachments topics. Things like WMM have little parts of research but the 12 marker will be on the WMM itself. It might ask you to discuss research into the WMM for 4-6 marks but not a singular study. It's mainly important to know the basic procedure of the study (e.g. Milgram had the learner (confederate) sit in another room to the teacher who had a control panel of 0-450V etc.) and any key statistics that go with it (e.g. 100% of participants went up to 300V and 65% went to 450V). If it is associated with another theory/approach (such as the Bandura study for Social Learning theory), then you only need to know how it relates the the theory/approach and whether it supports or contradicts it.

If you need any help with anything, just give me a shout :smile:
Reply 2
That's so helpful, thanks so much! All my questions answered.
Thanks again, have a great evening :-)
H X
[QUOTE="greghayes;71014026"]Basically, if it's its own study with its own evaluation, then you need to know enough for a 12 marker (including the evaluation) which is mostly things in the social and attachments topics. Things like WMM have little parts of research but the 12 marker will be on the WMM itself. It might ask you to discuss research into the WMM for 4-6 marks but not a singular study. It's mainly important to know the basic procedure of the study (e.g. Milgram had the learner (confederate) sit in another room to the teacher who had a control panel of 0-450V etc.) and any key statistics that go with it (e.g. 100% of participants went up to 300V and 65% went to 450V). If it is associated with another theory/approach (such as the Bandura study for Social Learning theory), then you only need to know how it relates the the theory/approach and whether it supports or contradicts it.

If you need any help with anything, just give me a shout :smile:[/QUOTE
I'm aware for Ao1 studies(like Stanford Prison Experiment) you need to know the researcher names, however is this the same for Ao3?Do you lose marks if you do not mention researcher names in Ao3 Evaluation. For e.g, Banuazizi, Kohnken etc(BY Ao3 I mean evaluation studies that disprove/support the Ao1)

I'm aware for Ao1 you need to remember the researcher names for e.g Zimbardo. But do you have to for Ao3. For e.g, Banuazizi and Mohadevi said demand characteristics played a part.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by greghayes
Basically, if it's its own study with its own evaluation, then you need to know enough for a 12 marker (including the evaluation) which is mostly things in the social and attachments topics. Things like WMM have little parts of research but the 12 marker will be on the WMM itself. It might ask you to discuss research into the WMM for 4-6 marks but not a singular study. It's mainly important to know the basic procedure of the study (e.g. Milgram had the learner (confederate) sit in another room to the teacher who had a control panel of 0-450V etc.) and any key statistics that go with it (e.g. 100% of participants went up to 300V and 65% went to 450V). If it is associated with another theory/approach (such as the Bandura study for Social Learning theory), then you only need to know how it relates the the theory/approach and whether it supports or contradicts it.

If you need any help with anything, just give me a shout :smile:

I'm aware for Ao1 studies(like Stanford Prison Experiment) you need to know the researcher names, however is this the same for Ao3?Do you lose marks if you do not mention researcher names in Ao3 Evaluation. For e.g, Banuazizi, Kohnken etc(BY Ao3 I mean evaluation studies that disprove/support the Ao1)

[/QUOTEI'm aware for Ao1 studies(like Stanford Prison Experiment) you need to know the researcher names, however is this the same for Ao3?Do you lose marks if you do not mention researcher names in Ao3 Evaluation. For e.g, Banuazizi, Kohnken etc(BY Ao3 I mean evaluation studies that disprove/support the Ao1)

I'm aware for Ao1 you need to remember the researcher names for e.g Zimbardo. But do you have to for Ao3. For e.g, Banuazizi and Mohadevi said demand characteristics played a part.

If possible, learn as many names as possible. If you really can't remember, just say there there is research to support/contradict whatever it is you're evaluating and then explain the points. You won't lose marks but you may have gained marks for mentioning the names if you maybe forgot detail somewhere else in an evaluation. I would aim to remember names if they conducted a study but it's not as important if they merely mentioned something. So for example, rather than saying "Banuazizi and Mohadevi said demand characteristics played a part", you could get away with just saying "demand characterstics have been said to play a part".
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest