Turn on thread page Beta

I read in the paper yesterday that some A level subjects are more difficult than others, and I think most people would agree that there is some truth in this, although a lot depends on the individual. Apparently some study in 1992 concluded that physics was the most difficult. Which do you think is the hardest?

In order;

Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, etc

Of course a lot depends on opinion and how good you are at a particular subject. Also languages can be very difficult if you have no previous experience with the chosen language.

(Original post by Unregistered)
    In order;

Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, etc

Of course a lot depends on opinion and how good you are at a particular subject. Also languages can be very difficult if you have no previous experience with the chosen language.

Going to guess that either you class Electronics as equivalent with Physics or you have no experience of it. Unless you are incredibly sadistic, you would never pick this subject!!!

I think that in order;

Further Maths, Maths, Electronics, Chemistry, Physics....

(Original post by Leekey)
    Going to guess that either you class Electronics as equivalent with Physics or you have no experience of it. Unless you are incredibly sadistic, you would never pick this subject!!!

I think that in order;

I have no experience... ;-)

Without hesitation, Chemistry. So much to learn, recall and apply.

I read in the paper yesterday that some A level subjects are more difficult than others, and I think most people would agree that there is some truth in this, although a lot depends on the individual. Apparently some study in 1992 concluded that physics was the most difficult. Which do you think is the hardest?
    Trying to find a difinitive hardest subject is pointless, because it really does depend on who you are. I would find the maths, f maths, chemistry, physics combinatoin above a lot easier than say history, drama, english and philosophy. This is because im naturally better at some subjects so will always find them easier. Out of the subjects I actually did (double maths, economics, physics, fine art) I found fine art to be the most amount of work, because it was the only one where i actually had to do some work

i done a-level electronics (hard), physics (hard - but not as much as youd think once you get going), and maths (same as physics) achieving a's, and b's.

I also took some A-level chemistry taster classes, and that, with the moans of 'clever' chemistry students has proven to me chemistry is the hardest.
    Also ecomonics seems pretty hard, and I think art is prob'ly the harshest marked subject?

Theology. It was ****ing difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I only took sciency subjects, so can't comment on any other than those. I thought the hardest subject I took was further maths, followed by maths and found physics pretty easy (apart from the practical).

Subjects which I would find hard are a language just becuase of all the learning you need to do.

chemistry DEFINITELY

chemistry DEFINITELY
    how can u say that? chemsitry was definitely the EASIEST subject of them all! All you have to do is learn the formulae and equations and you've got a sure B in the least, if not an A! The hardest subject has got to be Math with the highest % of fails

how can u say that? chemsitry was definitely the EASIEST subject of them all! All you have to do is learn the formulae and equations and you've got a sure B in the least, if not an A! The hardest subject has got to be Math with the highest % of fails
    higest % of failures....rubbish.

Read in the paper the % of grades awarded per subject. In maths 40% of people got a A.

Guess what subject has the lowest % of A grades. Computing with 8%.

I really do think that either computing is the hardest A level, or maybe the worst taught A level!!!!

Chemistry easy? Let me wallow in shock for a second.

I found it difficult as there was so much content to learn (the most out of all my subjects) and recall - and definitely not just the equations! The equations come through logically most of the time, and most of them can be deduced during exams. But everything else including reasons for reactions, required conditions and reagents, result of the reaction and intermediates formed in the process, chemical mechanisms, various types of calculations, practical assessments, evaluation of experiments and planning procedures... horrendous. A-level Chemistry was not at all enjoyable for me due to the sheer volume of work required in the subject to do well; GCSE was nice, as it was very easy. I ended up with a B (13 marks off an A) even though I spent the most time on this subject out of all 4 subjects at A2. Not pleasant for me, as it was not duly rewarding after all the time I put into it, but oh well.

Math on the other hand seems easy to me: it's all in the matter of doing the relevant exercises for each topic of each module. The same types of questions repeat themselves, only in different wording, every year. I spent the least time on it and got an A.

Anyway, I suppose everyone has a flair for different subjects. Each to his/her own.

higest % of failures....rubbish.

Read in the paper the % of grades awarded per subject. In maths 40% of people got a A.

Guess what subject has the lowest % of A grades. Computing with 8%.

I really do think that either computing is the hardest A level, or maybe the worst taught A level!!!!
    That is because only able students undertake Maths. Those who shouldn't be doing it, due to lack of ability, usually drop it or fail.

ReputationRep:
    physics is the hardest, on the OCR board neway. (thats another thing to take into account, although u cant exactly put it on the CV that u took the harder board but never mind!)
    i got A in eng lit and A in maths and C in phys...and that to me, kinda prooves summit! it was haaard! x o x

(Original post by Leekey)

I think that in order;

I think you mean 'masochistic - unless it was your teachers who were being punished by you doing electronics!!!

That is because only able students undertake Maths. Those who shouldn't be doing it, due to lack of ability, usually drop it or fail.
    exactly! almost half my math class got D-U in A/S levels, and guess what? they all dropped it for A2. we started off with 30 people doing math, and ended up with only 12 in A2! out of the 12, most of us got As... so that just backs up what you say!

ReputationRep:
    I did Maths, Physics and French for A Level and found Physics the hardest (actually, AS was pretty easy and it was the A2 stuff that was hard).

(Original post by Nylex)
    I did Maths, Physics and French for A Level and found Physics the hardest (actually, AS was pretty easy and it was the A2 stuff that was hard).
    I don't agrre on that, I found the AS mechanics module by far the hardest and the rest comparatively easy.

Maybe this was because we did the mechanics module first and it just seemed like the hardest, because of the huge step up from GCSE?

to me this is ********

i did maths physics and chemisty

maths and physics are LOGICAL, i did minimal revision for both and got A's

chemistry, however, its another story. its complete ********. you HAVE to get the write wording in exams or its immediately WRONG. edexcel chem was a *****. i came out with an A, but HELL...i was lucky

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.