Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    in retrospect, of my 5 subjects, history was probably the hardest: not the learning of the historical details, but learning to write essays in an 'historical' way. stray too far off the line and you lose marks big time... the mark scheme basically seems to be grading your essay writing skills, not how much history you know.
    That's because it isn't supposed to test how much history you know but your skills of historical evaluation, and essay-writing is a huge part of that. Of all the A Level subjects I took I would say that history, demanding as it was, was the one which prepared me best for university.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    The problem with a subject like ICT is that its an expanding subject. I am very able with computers, I know how to program in many computing languages but exam boards are some times behind with the real word.

ReputationRep:
    The golden rule is :
    the more you revise the better grades you'll get!

ReputationRep:
    i have only taken Hist, geog, ict and english. english lit is a lot harder than i expected it to be, cos im in a class of people as clever as me, while at gcse i was top of the class.
    history (modern world) is dead easy, as is geography (my favourite and easiest subject) the hardest of my lot is ICT, but only cos its so damn boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    higest % of failures....rubbish.

Read in the paper the % of grades awarded per subject. In maths 40% of people got a A.

Guess what subject has the lowest % of A grades. Computing with 8%.

I really do think that either computing is the hardest A level, or maybe the worst taught A level!!!!
    Going by personal experience Computing is by far one of the easiest subjects. The high % of fails comes from the fact that everyone seems to think that taking Computing will be fun, when they find that there is no programming until the second year they tend to believe they can just do the same sort of work that passes in GCSE ICT/Computing, which is obviously rubbish. Computing involves (in this years syllabus), creating a prototype and documentation, with the emphasis on the documentation. This is something that pretty much no-one in my Computing lecture seem to understand, which is why I will achieve an A or B and they'll be looking at D to U.

Chemistry is fairly easy, so long as you learn all of the formula and learn how they are applied. The rest can be done with a little guess work. The coursework is relatively easy since it can be done over quite a long time and the open book is only difficult in keeping the number of words below the set number.

Physics is probably the most difficult subject for me. However I believe this is because of the lecturer that I have (advise -- don't take physics in stafford ) rather than the actual subject material. I believe I will obtain a respectable grade though, since it is a logical subject, meaning it is just a case of learning the forumlae and how to apply them.

Law is the easiest subject I have ever taken. I took it a few years ago, admitadly, but basically they may as well have just given me a grade and let me go home. I attended lessons up until christmas, then decided that I couldn't be bothered going anymore. I got a letter through the post telling me when the exams were so decided to turn up. I walked out with a B. Simple. Just case of having a good understanding of English.

That is as far as my experience stretches (except to key skills which I think you can train a monkey to achieve), so I won't make much of a comment about any other subjects, just to say that I know maths is difficult because a friend took both forms and managed to score a 0 on one of the papers (endless amusement )

(Original post by Unregistered)
    I read in the paper yesterday that some A level subjects are more difficult than others, and I think most people would agree that there is some truth in this, although a lot depends on the individual. Apparently some study in 1992 concluded that physics was the most difficult. Which do you think is the hardest?
    the easiest is probably psychology...... i read this in the guardian

(Original post by piginapoke)
    Is this based on the ratio of entrants to passes? That wouldn't make it the 'easiest' though. There's no way of determining which is the easiest subject unless everyone took every subject. How hard a subject is depends entirely on the individual. You could experiment on this though by getting say a bunch of people with similar IQs (circa 100) but a range of learning abilities (aural, visual, haptic etc) and seeing how well they did while putting in the same amount of effort.
    ok i will buy that but surely it speaks for itself if the amount of people passing psyc. is a lot more than people, say passing English?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    %age of passes for A level subjects June 2003 (%age of A grades in brackets)
    Art & Design: 96.6% (27.8)
    Biology: 92.6% (21.4)
    Business Studies: 96.4% (12.5)
    Chemistry: 95.1% (28.8)
    Classics: 98.6% (32.1)
    Communication Studies(?): 97.4% (16.8)
    Computing: 91.2% (8.6)
    Economics: 97.5% (28.6)
    English: 98.4% (20.0)
    Drama: 98.6% (13.9)
    French: 97.7% (31.4)
    General Studies: 90.0% (12.1)
    Geography: 97.9% (22.9)
    German: 97.4% (31.2)
    History: 97.7% (23.5)
    Home Economics: 97.5% (15.9)
    Law: 92.1% (17.1)
    Mathematics: 94.9% (38.9)
    Media Studies: 98.2% (12.4)
    Music: 96.6% (21.8)
    Modern Languages: 97.1% (45.1)
    Physics: 93.6% (27.2)
    Politics: 96.8% (26.5)
    Psychology: 94.0% (16.9)
    RE: 97.9% (23.0)
    Other Science: 94.3% (20.4)
    Sociology: 95.7% (18.0)
    Spanish: 98.0% (33.0)
    PE: 95.0% (11.6)
    Technology: 95.9% (14.6)

So by the stats alone: General Studies is by far and away the hardest A level (lowest %age of passes, second lowest %age of A grades).

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    %age of passes for A level subjects June 2003 (%age of A grades in brackets)
    Art & Design: 96.6% (27.8)
    Biology: 92.6% (21.4)
    Business Studies: 96.4% (12.5)
    Chemistry: 95.1% (28.8)
    Classics: 98.6% (32.1)
    Communication Studies(?): 97.4% (16.8)
    Computing: 91.2% (8.6)
    Economics: 97.5% (28.6)
    English: 98.4% (20.0)
    Drama: 98.6% (13.9)
    French: 97.7% (31.4)
    General Studies: 90.0% (12.1)
    Geography: 97.9% (22.9)
    German: 97.4% (31.2)
    History: 97.7% (23.5)
    Home Economics: 97.5% (15.9)
    Law: 92.1% (17.1)
    Mathematics: 94.9% (38.9)
    Media Studies: 98.2% (12.4)
    Music: 96.6% (21.8)
    Modern Languages: 97.1% (45.1)
    Physics: 93.6% (27.2)
    Politics: 96.8% (26.5)
    Psychology: 94.0% (16.9)
    RE: 97.9% (23.0)
    Other Science: 94.3% (20.4)
    Sociology: 95.7% (18.0)
    Spanish: 98.0% (33.0)
    PE: 95.0% (11.6)
    Technology: 95.9% (14.6)

So by the stats alone: General Studies is by far and away the hardest A level (lowest %age of passes, second lowest %age of A grades).
    they are misleading statistics, sorry but any fool can tell you that, you've only mentioned the percent of A grades in ONE YEAR
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    This is misleading as we don't know who's enrolling for General Studies or what their circumstances are. People may see it as an 'extra' A-level and may not concentrate on it much, preferring to concentrate on their preferred subjects.
    Of course it's misleading - that's the whole point.

Difficulty cannot be measured by statistics so quoting one or other newspaper report based on stats is daft.

In fact it's quite possible that difficulty cannot be measured quantatively at all - in which case any judgement is purely subjective.

And if you fancy transcribing the full stats from the last 4 years yourself DazYa (personally one years results was more than enough fo me) then they're available here: http://www.jcgq.org.uk/ in pdf format - click on the results link on the right and find the tables referring to All UK candidates for A level (not AS)...the cumulative percentage tables are the ones I used)

those statistics are saying that Maths is one of the easiest, as well as physics
    /me rolls

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Of course it's misleading - that's the whole point.

Difficulty cannot be measured by statistics so quoting one or other newspaper report based on stats is daft.

In fact it's quite possible that difficulty cannot be measured quantatively at all - in which case any judgement is purely subjective.

And if you fancy transcribing the full stats from the last 4 years yourself DazYa (personally one years results was more than enough fo me) then they're available here: http://www.jcgq.org.uk/ in pdf format - click on the results link on the right and find the tables referring to All UK candidates for A level (not AS)...the cumulative percentage tables are the ones I used)
    to be honest i don't care, im jst saying that wat you posted were misleading.....

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if a link has been posted to it, or if this has been mentioned on this thread, but..

The graphs of last years results on the bbc site show that biology was statistically the hardest science (lowest % of A grades), followed by Physics and then Chem.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...ls/html/33.stm

The subjects on there with the lowest % of A-grades are PE, General Studies and Computing.

This is strange because I found Biology the easiest of the a-levels I took (easier than PE) and Physics the hardest. Quite clearly, the statistics mean nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I think that Maths had the highest percentage of A grades last year and so is statistically the easiest a-level.

In reality, it's only taken by those who know they can do well in it and so most score highly.

(Original post by Chris_)
    Im not sure if a link has been posted to it, or if this has been mentioned on this thread, but..

The graphs of last years results on the bbc site show that biology was statistically the hardest science (lowest % of A grades), followed by Physics and then Chem.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...ls/html/33.stm

The subjects on there with the lowest % of A-grades are PE, General Studies and Computing.

This is strange because I found Biology the easiest of the a-levels I took (easier than PE) and Physics the hardest. Quite clearly, the statistics mean nothing.
    word

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    I think that Maths had the highest percentage of A grades last year and so is statistically the easiest a-level.

In reality, it's only taken by those who know they can do well in it and so most score highly.
    And it is also usually given up by those who aren't as able, which is another factor.
    I personally would say it is the hardest subject, but thats only an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    To me it would be psychology cos that is the hardest subject i do. its not a doss like most people think there is loads to learn, apply, consider, discuss god i could go on forever but i wont. bye!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowball)
    To me it would be psychology cos that is the hardest subject i do. its not a doss like most people think there is loads to learn, apply, consider, discuss god i could go on forever but i wont. bye!
    psychology is definately easier than say maths, chemistry, biology and french my other subjects...

ReputationRep:
    Aparently my biology teacher said that a study carried out by some university measuring how many students got an A or B at A level to determine the hardest subject - Biology the hardest, then Chemistry, then Physics, then French & German, then Maths. But they are only worked out using the % of people obtaining an A or a B. And it was my biology teacher who said that biology was the hardest so i dont know how truthful this is.

ReputationRep:
    History - aargh

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.