The UK is far, far, ahead of the rest of the world in terms of a race-blind society.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like it, I suggest you try living in the vast vast majority of countries in Europe or in the US, Asia (where there are very explicit caste separations).

I will always be proud of being a Brit, always, I would never leave this place. After travelling and seeing the rest of the world, it just makes me realise the weather here is rubbish, but most things just far exceed other places.

ReputationRep:
    Tis troo, man speaks the truth

ReputationRep:
    No point hanging around in London if you're a poor white Brit these days. No wonder they're all :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing off lock, stock and barrel to Malaga, Dubai and Oz.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. It's not racist, it's elitist.

ReputationRep:
    We really are the best nation in the world, theres no denying it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    I agree. It's not racist, it's elitist.
    I don't find it particularly elitist, and I live in NW3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    If you don't like it, I suggest you try living in the vast vast majority of countries in Europe or in the US, Asia (where there are very explicit caste separations).

I will always be proud of being a Brit, always, I would never leave this place. After travelling and seeing the rest of the world, it just makes me realise the weather here is rubbish, but most things just far exceed other places.
    I think compared to the rest of the world Britain has made considerable progress in terms of seeing a human for what they are. In terms of racism it does happen every few weeks, however what makes Britain different is that the Politicians an party groups (those with power and opposition parties) value everyone that they can convince to vote for them. This means our government protects everyone. I'm sure there are prejudices and racism here and there but for the most part there none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    k good for you

Anyway it is elitist because you have a lot of people who seem to feel big calling people common...ahem, you.

It's certainly classist. When a majority white country discriminates against other white people for being common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)
    We really are the best nation in the world, theres no denying it
    wave dat flaggggg

ReputationRep:
    k good for you

Anyway it is elitist because you have a lot of people who seem to feel big calling people common...ahem, you.

It's certainly classist. When a majority white country discriminates against other white people for being common.
    Who did I call common, 0to100? Specifically?

ReputationRep:
    And London is far, far, ahead of the rest of the UK in terms of race-blind society.

ReputationRep:
    Who did I call common, 0to100? Specifically?
    I thought you ddnt want me to speak to you anymore. Why quote me.
    But you literally just used the word common like 5mins ago in the tattoo thread...

Anyway irrelevant, the country is better than USA by miles as far as systematic discrimination primarily for race goes

ReputationRep:
    But you literally just used the word common like 5mins ago in the tattoo thread...
    You're referring to this post, yes:

No. Tattoos are bad enough, but piercings with bits of metal sticking out all over the place...

Common.
    Again: you just accused me of 'calling people common'. Who did I call common?

Or have you re-read my post quoted above (which you so quickly jumped on) more carefully and found your mistake? I didn't call anyone common, did I? I said tattoos were common.

More careful reading would serve you better, 0to100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    you would think that, chav

See. Elitist.

You're referring to this post, yes:

Again: you just accused me of 'calling people common'. Who did I call common?

Or have you re-read my post quoted above which you so quickly jumped on more carefully and found your mistake? I didn't call anyone common, did I? I said tattoos were common.

More careful reading would serve you better, 0to100.
    tl;dr

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr
    I think the logic is fairly straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    See. Chav.
    Well what can I say :gangster:

I imagine it was, for you.
    Are you implying I'm illiterate? Unfortunately I'm not because I can make out what you're saying.
    Are you gonna ever go back on topic or...?

Let me help you:

would you say the United Kingdom is more racial than the United States when it comes to social mobility? Because...it's not. It doesn't care what your race is when it comes to poverty and unemployment.

ReputationRep:
    Well what can I say :gangster:

Are you implying I'm illiterate? Unfortunately I'm not because I can make out what you're saying.
    Are you gonna ever go back on topic or...?

Let me help you:

would you say the United Kingdom is more racial than the United States when it comes to social mobility? Because...it's not. It doesn't care what your race is when it comes to poverty and unemployment.
    Thanks, 0to100. This has confirmed some things for me, and allowed me to reach a judgement. Funnily enough, lots of people kept telling me things that had happened to them, and there wasn't a huge amount of proof. But now I know they were right. Which is great, because something might be able to be done about it.

In terms of a race blind society, as per the OP's original question. We might be able to change things - these people who'd been telling me that they'd had racial prejudice were telling the truth, after all.

You follow me? Thanks, 0to100. You've been more helpful to me than you realise

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, 0to100. This has confirmed some things for me, and allowed me to reach a judgement.

A judgement on the OP's question.
    Whatever? I'm just tryna get back on thread topic.
    Nice after-edits by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever? I'm just tryna get back on thread topic.
    Nice after-edits by the way.
    Yes, after edits can be very useful...

(Original post by James.Carnell)

It's good to be proud to be British. So long as it comes from a good place, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you don't find it especially elitist if you live in an elitist area! You're in the club. You only need to feel moderately emotionally comfortable in a very rich area to feel comfortable.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Tea vs coffee

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.