Physics force question

Watch this thread
purpleicelaif
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have a question about forces in my homework. There is a ladder leaned against a wall, but the assumption made is that there is not friction between the ladder and the wall, but there is friction between the ladder and the ground. The only information I have is 2 forces acting on it, a 30N one and a 100N one, and it is asking me to find the weight of the ladder.
Pls help
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
If you have the normal force at the wall, then you can take moments around the ladder's point of contact with the ground, assuming that the ladder's weight acts at its centre. If that's not what you have, then please post a diagram.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by purpleicelaif)
I have a question about forces in my homework. There is a ladder leaned against a wall, but the assumption made is that there is not friction between the ladder and the wall, but there is friction between the ladder and the ground. The only information I have is 2 forces acting on it, a 30N one and a 100N one, and it is asking me to find the weight of the ladder.
Pls help
Does it say where those forces are acting? e.g. 2m from the ground. It's most likely a moments question so this is important.

Also, I didn't know that this comes up in physics. I only do this in mechanics 2 for maths. What exam board are you doing?
purpleicelaif
Rep:
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
Does it say where those forces are acting? e.g. 2m from the ground. It's most likely a moments question so this is important.

Also, I didn't know that this comes up in physics. I only do this in mechanics 2 for maths. What exam board are you doing?
I don't have distance given nor the mass of the ladder.
I'm doing triple science aqa
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I don't have distance given nor the mass of the ladder.
I'm doing triple science aqa
Can I see a picture of the question? I thought that this was A level lol.
purpleicelaif
Rep:
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
Can I see a picture of the question? I thought that this was A level lol.
thats the question
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Apply Newton's first law vertically. You should also be able to see what the frictional force is by applying Newton's first law horizontally.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
thats the question
Ah okay then you missed out valuable information in your explanation. That is the directions. Forces are vectors.

The ladder is not moving so therefore the forces must have a force in the other direction that makes it equal to 0.

If the upwards force is larger than the downwards it would fly and if the downwards if larger it would fall through the ground.

If this doesn't make sense ask and I'll try to explain further.
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
thats the question
A minor point, but, by convention, forces are drawn from the point that they act on, so your friction force should start at the base of the ladder and go towards the wall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (80)
67.23%
In the post (5)
4.2%
Text (16)
13.45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (18)
15.13%

Watched Threads