asdfgghjkl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The mark scheme says - "significantly different because standard errors don't overlap" i dont get how that is true because the error bars for 25 and 30 degrees are the same. And what does "significantly different" even mean?? thanks
Attached files
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, and is 25 a "high" temperature in the context of the question? No, so what does it matter what the error bars for 25 are?

For 30 they are quite different, I don't see how you can say they are the same?

Significant in statistics means "not by chance".
asdfgghjkl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by yudothis)
Yes, and is 25 a "high" temperature in the context of the question? No, so what does it matter what the error bars for 25 are?

For 30 they are quite different, I don't see how you can say they are the same?

Significant in statistics means "not by chance".
them 3 error bars are the exact same is what i mean, or are we looking at each temperature independently? and okay i get you about not due to chance. But the whole significantly different is confusing me. If i wrote error bars dont overlap therfore results arent due to chance would i get the marks? because in the mark scheme "significant" is underlined. Thank you though!
Attached files
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, what are you comparing here? Producing GB and not producing GB. And at 35 you have a clear difference.

The error bars represent a certain confidence interval (often 95% or 99%). So if they don't overlap it means that statistically, they are different at the, say, 95% confidence level. That means it is statistically significant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.04%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (136)
59.39%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (32)
13.97%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.18%

Watched Threads