A level Statistics - causal/spurious correlation

Watch
maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
the question asks if there is correlation, what type (+ve/-ve) and causal or not.

Daytime temp at resort and no of deckchairs hired out (causal )
Plant growth and amount of fertiliser applied (causal)
A person's annual income and weight (no correlation)

Up to this point those are the answers in the book and those were the answers that I gave.

BUT
Unemployment rates and measures of standard of living. The answer is negative correlation (yes, I can see that) but non-causal. How? Why?
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)
the question asks if there is correlation, what type (+ve/-ve) and causal or not.

Daytime temp at resort and no of deckchairs hired out (causal )
Plant growth and amount of fertiliser applied (causal)
A person's annual income and weight (no correlation)

Up to this point those are the answers in the book and those were the answers that I gave.

BUT
Unemployment rates and measures of standard of living. The answer is negative correlation (yes, I can see that) but non-causal. How? Why?
I would have said causal.
maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
I would have said causal.
Yes, I would have too. It seems no different to parts a and b does it.
The example of non causal in the book is:

Rates of diabetes and annual income correlate for certain groups, but this is because they both relate to dietary intake.

For me it could be that the better off spend more on rich food and drink so get diabetes so it's the food not the money that causes diabetes. But going off that the more money you earn the heavier you're likely to be but the the book, and I, would say no-correlation but I only say that through observation of real people.

Perhaps unemployment causes less money and it's the lack of money that causes a poorer standard of living. So unemployment is one jump away from standard of living.

The book tells me that full solutions are available on-line but so far I haven't managed to find them. If I ever get a reply from the publisher as to where they are, perhaps there'll be a full explanation then.

Thanks for you time and for being a sounding board.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.06%
October 2021 (194)
45.65%
November 2021 (44)
10.35%
December 2021 (57)
13.41%
January 2021 (47)
11.06%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.18%