The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan for a masters degree??

I'm looking at potential master degrees atm and most of the courses i'm interested in are at unis away from home. Do you get a maintenance loan for postgraduate study like you do for your undergraduate degree?
You can get a postgraduate loan, maximum 10k no matter how long your course is which has to pay both your fees and your living costs.
For postgraduate you can apply for a loan up to the value of £10,000. It's not dependant on your household income, you decide how much up to £10,000 you would like to apply for. If your course costs £5,000 you can use the remaining £5,000 for living costs, but if your course costs say £9,000 you'll only have £1,000 left to help with living costs. That's as I understand it anyway
Reply 3
10k loan for everything.
Original post by hhealey13
For postgraduate you can apply for a loan up to the value of £10,000. It's not dependant on your household income, you decide how much up to £10,000 you would like to apply for. If your course costs £5,000 you can use the remaining £5,000 for living costs, but if your course costs say £9,000 you'll only have £1,000 left to help with living costs. That's as I understand it anyway

Ahh i see ok thankyou. Is the loan £10000 for the whole duration of the course? Say i did a masters course that was two years long, would the £10000 pounds have to cover both years or could i get more money for the next year?
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Ahh i see ok thankyou. Is the loan £10000 for the whole duration of the course? Say i did a masters course that was two years long, would the £10000 pounds have to cover both years or could i get more money for the next year?

If you do a 2 year masters then you'll get £5k for each year.
If you do a 2 year masters then you'll get £5k for each year.

Ah ok, thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply