Failing a degree - what to do next? Watch

elko753
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm not sure if it's the correct place to post this but if not please move it.

I am currently in my 3rd year and due a couple of personal problems I am pretty certain I'm going to fail one module which cannot be reassessed and hence I'll fail my degree. I'm trying to sort it out but I can't stop worrying about the possibility of me failing so I decided to ask you what to do.

Even without me failing I was planning on doing another bachelors degree after I graduate because I realised too late that the current course is not for me, but do you think it'll be possible for me to get into another course in a different uni if I failed one degree? Is doing a foundation course or access course (I'm not even sure if you can do access course right after you finished studying is possible?) a better choice? I did okay on my IB exams but the results were not great, however, they did land me a place at University of York. Idk I guess I'm just asking for your opinion about the best possible option for me to continue with my education.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by elko753)
I'm not sure if it's the correct place to post this but if not please move it.

I am currently in my 3rd year and due a couple of personal problems I am pretty certain I'm going to fail one module which cannot be reassessed and hence I'll fail my degree. I'm trying to sort it out but I can't stop worrying about the possibility of me failing so I decided to ask you what to do.

Even without me failing I was planning on doing another bachelors degree after I graduate because I realised too late that the current course is not for me, but do you think it'll be possible for me to get into another course in a different uni if I failed one degree? Is doing a foundation course or access course (I'm not even sure if you can do access course right after you finished studying is possible?) a better choice? I did okay on my IB exams but the results were not great, however, they did land me a place at University of York. Idk I guess I'm just asking for your opinion about the best possible option for me to continue with my education.
If you only fail one module, it would be normal to allow you to retake it in the next academic year. Are you sure this isn't an option?

As for taking another degree, I'm afraid you don't have enough SF entitlement left. It's calculated on how many years you've spent at uni, rather than whether you have a degree or not.
elko753
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
If you only fail one module, it would be normal to allow you to retake it in the next academic year. Are you sure this isn't an option?

As for taking another degree, I'm afraid you don't have enough SF entitlement left. It's calculated on how many years you've spent at uni, rather than whether you have a degree or not.
I have asked about retaking it next yer but I have yet to get a reply from supervisor (he doesn't seem to care at all about the students) but on the module webpage it does say that there's no reassessment.

About the student finance, I do know that. However, the degree I want to do after this is in a university in Scotland and since I am an EU national the fees are lower and I can finance that myself so it's not a problem.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by elko753)
I have asked about retaking it next yer but I have yet to get a reply from supervisor (he doesn't seem to care at all about the students) but on the module webpage it does say that there's no reassessment.
To me, "reassessment" would imply that you could not be permitted a resit or retake over the summer - not that you could not retake the entire module next year. It would be wise to get an official confirmation of the situation before making further plans. As it is now the Easter break, your supervisor may not be available for a few weeks, so either wait for their reply or contact your department's Admin office to see if they know.

As for going on to a second degree, you would be expected to produce an academic reference from a lecturer on your current course. You need to make sure that you have someone sympathetic in your department, who understands the issues you have encountered.
elko753
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
To me, "reassessment" would imply that you could not be permitted a resit or retake over the summer - not that you could not retake the entire module next year. It would be wise to get an official confirmation of the situation before making further plans. As it is now the Easter break, your supervisor may not be available for a few weeks, so either wait for their reply or contact your department's Admin office to see if they know.

As for going on to a second degree, you would be expected to produce an academic reference from a lecturer on your current course. You need to make sure that you have someone sympathetic in your department, who understands the issues you have encountered.
I see then maybe I misunderstood what reassessment means. Easter break is already over in my university and they are working and I've received a group email from my supervisor today so I will wait for a bit more before contacting administration. Thank you for your answer
everested
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Even if you do fail your degree, you may be able to use the modules you passed as a basis for recognition of prior learning (or credit transfer) in another uni. Unis also have top-up degrees which might be 1 year in duration for people who have reached a certain academic level already, like yourself.
unomie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to be out of education for 2yrs to be considered for an access course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
57.02%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.33%

Watched Threads