The Student Room Group

Identifying unknown compounds help

rehre.png For this question I am unsure whether my answer is right or not.

Markscheme :
Attachment not found

For the mark scheme, does it mean that the compound could be hexanoic acid or must be hexanoic acid? If it is hexanoic acid, it doesn't make sense to me as the compound is branched but hexanoic acid isn't.
The bits underlined in the mark scheme also confuse too, when there is a double c=c bond, how can there be 4 bonds in the c atom? Also does that mean only the 2 structural formulas in the mark scheme is accepted? Is my answer okay or not?

Thanks
Reply 1
My answer14925377543092093932620.jpg
Original post by coconut64
My answer

1. They give a mark for hexanoic acid just because it's close to the molecular formula you get from calculation. This is FAR to generous IMO. This can't be the compound.

2. There is an error in both mark scheme structures

3. Your answers are ok BUT you have drawn only ONE structural isomer that happens to have stereoisomers (which you have drawn).
Reply 3
Original post by TeachChemistry
1. They give a mark for hexanoic acid just because it's close to the molecular formula you get from calculation. This is FAR to generous IMO. This can't be the compound.

2. There is an error in both mark scheme structures

3. Your answers are ok BUT you have drawn only ONE structural isomer that happens to have stereoisomers (which you have drawn).

So any other structural isomers will do as long as they are branched? Thanks
Original post by coconut64
So any other structural isomers will do as long as they are branched? Thanks

Yes
Reply 5
Original post by TeachChemistry
Yes

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest