Beccae53
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm in yr 11 and am thinking of taking business Studies, English lit and french and/or german.
I was wondering if somebody could explain what I'd do in these, how hard they would be, what the exams are like and how much revison I'd need to do
Thanks
helenhighwater99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I am going to be honest.
A- levels are a nightmare.
The new spec is a lot of work.
I am doing english literature, which I am finding it very difficult.
I think the most important thing is organisation, I like to organise it by spec or examination points.
Don't go crazy on notes, and exam structure for essays is key.

Do you know what exam board you would be doing for English literature?

Beccae53
Rep:
?
no not yet but I think of the books I'm studying is tess d'urbervilles. How much revison do you do for it?
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Beccae53)
I'm in yr 11 and am thinking of taking business Studies, English lit and french and/or german.
I was wondering if somebody could explain what I'd do in these, how hard they would be, what the exams are like and how much revison I'd need to do
Thanks
I'm doing biology, chemistry, German and Latin in year 12 at the moment. So I an only tell you about the German
A-levels in general are alright I don't think they are as hard as everyone says they are (at least in year 12) but they are definitely harder than GCSEs. I don't think I have too much work compared to other people but it's mentally exhausting having the same subjects every day - I get bored very easily.

In German so far we've watched and analysed a film - das Leben der Anderen and I know we'll be doing the same with a book next year. Other than that we've just been doing the same topics as GCSE like family but in a lot more detail as well as some new ones like currently we're learning about immigration in Germany.
helenhighwater99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
oh okay, so I assume you are AQA.
I am doing AQA, I'm doing Death of a salesman, Othello, The murder of Roger Ackroyd, Keats' poetry, When will there be good news and a list of crime poetry.
A lot more than GCSE, it depends on what grades you want and how motivated you are.

no not yet but I think of the books I'm studying is tess d'urbervilles. How much revison do you do for it?
Beccae53
Rep:
?
Okay thanks that's helped a lot have you revised a lot for AS levels yet or have you just done it's throughout the year?
Beccae53
Rep:
?
Yeah I really want to get good grades especially if it will help me get into a good uni
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do business and it's not hard, just a lot of content but it tends to be repetitive

Posted from TSR Mobile
helenhighwater99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay thanks that's helped a lot have you revised a lot for AS levels yet or have you just done it's throughout the year?
I have done it throughout the year, but I think the hardcore revision began after christmas. I think the biggest push is the Easter holidays.
Beccae53
Rep:
?
okay thanks. My problem is my family are looking at going on holiday at easter and it's not a place that I really have the time to revise do you think if I do revison throughout the year I'll be okay not doing it as intensely in the easter holidays? (I'll try and get in as many hours as possible revising)
Beccae53
Rep:
?
Okay thanks
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks
So I'm in AS and take new spec English Lit, English Language and Drama and old spec Film Studies. Something I've learnt is old spec is very easy because the skills are spread over 2 years so first year is easy(er).

Something I learnt from year 12 is that making clear notes is invaluable so revision at the end of the year is easier. You'll find as you take notes and work hard and consistently throughout the year revision is not stressful, but rather last minute memorising and exam prep because you already understand all the materials. Understanding is key.

It also depends on where you study. My college seems to value independent study and self motivation, whereas another one nearby values A grade students and make their students study in college and chases them up if they dont. So your A level experience will vary based on where you go.
Beccae53
Rep:
?
Okay thanks
helenhighwater99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
okay thanks. My problem is my family are looking at going on holiday at easter and it's not a place that I really have the time to revise do you think if I do revison throughout the year I'll be okay not doing it as intensely in the easter holidays? (I'll try and get in as many hours as possible revising)
As long as you revise throughout the year you should be fine and feel confident.
Beccae53
Rep:
?
Okay thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
11.86%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (29)
24.58%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (51)
43.22%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
16.95%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.39%

Watched Threads