OCR Classics AS predictions the odyssey Watch

Maliaohio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
heyy couldn't find a thread on this, was wondering if anyone had any predictions for passages this year ormaybe for 45 markers? last year the 45 markers were on women, the heroism of Odysseus and why the Odyssey is called an epic, idk what themes might come up this year so let's speculate! and any thoughts on passages?
leilalove
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey i think boo 7 might come up as a passage since its never come up before!!
Cyrus520
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kleos or Timé maybe? Doesn't look as though they have come up yet. Not sure...
Homer's Ody
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by leilalove)
Book 7 has come up as a context question before
Homer's Ody
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cyrus520)
maybe
Maliaohio
Rep:
?
(Original post by leilalove)
i feel like maybe book 7 or 8 could come up as I'm sure passages in Phaeacia haven't really come up
Maybe a recognition scene for the second passage question?
Maliaohio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cyrus520)
thanks! yeah its true they don't seem to have come up
Cyrus520
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Q3 always tends to be on odysseus. Q4 on servents, gods, women and themes
Q5 on literature, epic structure etc
_j_0
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
there was like nothing to write for the 25 mark essay
Lgugab
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
that 25 marker oh gosh, 'don't talk about Odysseus'.... its called the odyssey OCR!!
abiantoinette
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lgugab)
that 25 marker oh gosh, 'don't talk about Odysseus'.... its called the odyssey OCR!!
this is so true i had to hold myself back from writing about the trojan horse SIGHS
IHawdon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
wtf book 22 again. That's the third time. OCR, keep it fresh bro
belle37
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
right the book 11 commentary way harder than book 22... how did you all find it?
_j_0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ugh i found my self not making distinctive points, for the 25 mark question asking to not talk about Odysseys- I ended up talking about him anyway, so i'm don't know if I'll even be credited for my points.

i wrote something along the lines of 'the stories of the greek hero's provide hope but also increase tension', because like Agamemnon finding his wife with his cousin being killed upon arrival , Penelope could give in and marry one of the suitors and Odysseus could end up being killed by them once he gets home. I talked about Menelaus and how he was stuck in Egypt for not giving a proper sacrifice by the Nile, and relied on the old man at the sea and his daughter and how it strengthens the theme of fate and how everything is dictated by the wants of the gods, then I commented on how Menelaus ends up home with Helen and it endorses hope that Odysseus and Penelope could end up back together. I think my last point was on Achilles and how he hates being a war hero among the dead, and how now he is dead he would have chosen nostos rather than kleos and it helped Homer explore the theme of both.
Homer's Ody
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abiantoinette)
this is so true i had to hold myself back from writing about the trojan horse SIGHS
Wait which question was this, I don't remember it saying not to mention Odysseus, was this Q1 C cos I opted for 2 C
yorkgal101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I opted for question 2 as well, because 1(c) about the other heroes APART FROM Odysseus completely threw me! I just couldn't see how I was going to get 25 marks out of it.

I did the essay question on Odysseus being responsible / irresponsible - went OK(ish) but struggled to quote adequately I think. It would have felt like shoehorning them in for the sake of it, so I paraphrased from other areas where I felt it was more relevant.

Hey ho, it's done.

Any predictions for Greek Tragedy on 5th June?! Any thoughts on themes that might come up?
_j_0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
to be fair, because the exam is closed text the exam board don't expect quotes just really accurate paraphrasing I reckon it'll be between antigone and electra

(Original post by yorkgal101)
I opted for question 2 as well, because 1(c) about the other heroes APART FROM Odysseus completely threw me! I just couldn't see how I was going to get 25 marks out of it.

I did the essay question on Odysseus being responsible / irresponsible - went OK(ish) but struggled to quote adequately I think. It would have felt like shoehorning them in for the sake of it, so I paraphrased from other areas where I felt it was more relevant.

Hey ho, it's done.

Any predictions for Greek Tragedy on 5th June?! Any thoughts on themes that might come up?
Homer's Ody
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _j_0)
to be fair, because the exam is closed text the exam board don't expect quotes just really accurate paraphrasing I reckon it'll be between antigone and electra
why antione and electra?
_j_0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Homer's Ody)
why antione and electra?
although Antigone and Medea showed up last year,The Agamemnon has been used way to many times before.
rekanem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by belle37)
right the book 11 commentary way harder than book 22... how did you all find it?
I did Book 11, and I won't lie, there was a moment where I felt like I made a mistake choosing it. Still, (a) was OK since it was just factual recall. (b) was fine for the most, but the "to what extent" part of the question threw me a bit. (c) is what I'm worried about. I've never seen a question about the stories of other heroes before.

I was slightly pressed for time, so admittedly I didn't have much time to plan. I mentioned Agamemnon, Menelaus and Odysseus but there are points that I thought of after the exam (hate when that happens) to do with Achilles and Ajax.

I'm just hoping maybe the grade boundaries will be lower. This was actually a second go at Odyssey for me, since it was a retake.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads