Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loveintheasylum)
    hello
    this morning I saw a news programme on television, where two a level students from a girls school in the Midlands achieved SIX a levels, all at grade A.

my question is this: compared to a student with the average three or four a level qualifications from a comprehensive or grammar school, (at grade A let us presume) is the girls school candidate more favourable for acceptance at a university? is it fair that a private school student, who has been 'trained' by their school to work and achieve in such a way and who may not have the intellectual 'edge' of say, a grammar/comp student, is it fair that they recieve a place over a student like myself, who may not be able to afford such education, yet will work damn hard to achieve the best that there is available. i just dont understand how some students are given the opportunity of studying six a levels....i mean, if the subjects are of the 'vocational' nature, are they not of the same value as more 'traditional' academic subjects. i dont think ive worded this adequately to truely clarify my question, but i supppose social class plays a much larger role in some universities...yes/no????????????? sorry lol

I understand what you mean about feeling that there is something slightly unfair in the different "atmospheres" between comprehensives and private schools. I go to a pretty bog-standard (OK, shite) 6th form college that seems to concentrate as much on its vocational courses as it does on its academic subjects - which I am not saying is a bad thing, but it does detract the concentration of the instiution on extracting the best academicly from its students.

Anyway, my point is that upon getting my results yesterday it appears I reached 3 A's at a-level and 2 A's at AS with ease (I dont mean to sound arrogant, but my UMS scores show that I got full marks, or a couple of points of full marks, in nearly every paper). However, I was never once in the last two years pushed by my college to consider doing 4 or more a-levels or any other 'advanced' awards in my subjects - which I now feel is a great opportunity missed. I can't help but feel if I went to my local private school, the school may've slightly more concerned about getting their students to achieve the most they could have, which the college I went to are slightly less concerned (or abley staffed) to do.

hello
    this morning I saw a news programme on television, where two a level students from a girls school in the Midlands achieved SIX a levels, all at grade A.

my question is this: compared to a student with the average three or four a level qualifications from a comprehensive or grammar school, (at grade A let us presume) is the girls school candidate more favourable for acceptance at a university? is it fair that a private school student, who has been 'trained' by their school to work and achieve in such a way and who may not have the intellectual 'edge' of say, a grammar/comp student, is it fair that they recieve a place over a student like myself, who may not be able to afford such education, yet will work damn hard to achieve the best that there is available. i just dont understand how some students are given the opportunity of studying six a levels....i mean, if the subjects are of the 'vocational' nature, are they not of the same value as more 'traditional' academic subjects. i dont think ive worded this adequately to truely clarify my question, but i supppose social class plays a much larger role in some universities...yes/no????????????? sorry lol
    Not everyone in private education can afford it, neither are some of them "trained" as you put it, and some of us worked pretty damn hard, actually work their asses off and still get low marks, and in a private school you can feel pretty bad when people are around you getting 4 As and going to oxbridge and you are going to a relativly "crapier" uni. Saying that im perfectly happy where i am .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pradster)
    My sister used to go there - they get a 100% Pass rate in A-Levels every year and you're correct, you have to pass an entrance exam to get a place there.
    It isn't only selective schools that get pass rates that are really high though. My sixthform was attached to a non selective comprehensive that you needed 5 c's to get on to a-levels from and we had a 99% pass rate with 92% getting grades A-C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaman)
    She might have six alevels, but probably less than that many friends.
    Lol.. wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    The school in the origional post was Wolverhampton Girls', It's not a private school but is selective. To get in you have to pass their own exam.

I'm sure there is a member on here who goes/did go there they could probably tell us a bit more about it.
    I know a few people who went there. It's fairly well-renowned academically, but not much at anything else. They also have Language College status, so you really can study almost any language you care to pick.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    what students have you studied?? coz sure as hell you aint studied any of the students i know.

love Katy***
    Thirty students per year over the last 4 years

ReputationRep:
    My school makes everyone do general studies and then 4 AS levels. You are encouraged to drop one but many dont. I wanted to do seven and after much nagging was allowed to do 6, although I had to teach it to myslef which was wanted to do anyway.

With respect to the person who wanted to know why people do more than 3, well it is simple, the will to learn. I do have a social life but I also like to learn in my spare time and taking extra A levels is simply an extension of this "hobby". Of course this is not to eveyones taste and certianly was not to the taste of my school. I also dont believe that there is any A level bias, I still got rejected from Cambridge with predicted 6A's, and people would have got accepted with 3 A's, so if there is any bias it must count for very little in comparison to the weight an interview carries.

ReputationRep:
    hello

Those girls go to my school lol. We don't pay for our education, the school is selective and is an all girls school, yes, but we rely on government funding etc. just like comps, therefore, we are given the title of 'Foundation School' status.Our school isn't private, and these two girls represent just a tiny proportion of those who attend.The reasons why a lot of the pupils do obtain good results here though is mainly due to the selection process, generally high quality of teaching and because they work hard for those grades.Money has absolutely nothing to do with it.I am sure that my school is probably an exception to the general rule, but nevertheless I feel I must defend it as these two girls appear to be the sole foundation of your conviction. Hope you understand.
    Squid.

ReputationRep:
    btw My friends and I also saw the article on the news before we went in to collect our AS Levels at a later time, and we felt intimidated too, even though I go to the same school as them lol.So I can assure you we're not all like them...we live in Wolverhampton for God's sake...not that there's anything wrong with Wolverhampton...I live there. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    The school in the origional post was Wolverhampton Girls', It's not a private school but is selective. To get in you have to pass their own exam.

I'm sure there is a member on here who goes/did go there they could probably tell us a bit more about it.
    Lol.Perhaps that's me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I dare anyone to tell me that I don't have a thorough knowledge of Electonics or Computing.
    you don't have a thorough knowledge of electronics or computing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I

Anyway, my point is that upon getting my results yesterday it appears I reached 3 A's at a-level and 2 A's at AS with ease (I dont mean to sound arrogant, but my UMS scores show that I got full marks, or a couple of points of full marks, in nearly every paper). However, I was never once in the last two years pushed by my college to consider doing 4 or more a-levels or any other 'advanced' awards in my subjects - which I now feel is a great opportunity missed. I can't help but feel if I went to my local private school, the school may've slightly more concerned about getting their students to achieve the most they could have, which the college I went to are slightly less concerned (or abley staffed) to do.
    you might have done more at a private school but where would that have got you?

I mean A levels should be about getting into uni, not for collecting like scout badges.

The bottom line is "were you happy at school / 6th form" if yes then I'd say you had a good education. 6 A levels doesn't get you anywhere better than 3 does it? (thinking she might be corrected here but prepared to take the flak)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    you might have done more at a private school but where would that have got you?
    Oxford?

(Original post by sashh)
    The bottom line is "were you happy at school / 6th form" if yes then I'd say you had a good education. 6 A levels doesn't get you anywhere better than 3 does it? (thinking she might be corrected here but prepared to take the flak)
    Of course the more qualifications you get, the further in certain fields you will get in. Socially, I was very happy at my school and sixth form as the greater mix of people benefited me in a way in which I believe private school kids will always miss out on. Academically, I wasn't happy at either as they never pushed me to my potential.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.